Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 07:07 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by FelisMalicious
I like your approach a lot. Really step by step and let the owner understand the impact of each change. I need someone like you and your workshop in Germany
I have friends in Duesseldorf and they might be able to help. Are you far from there? __________________________________________________________________ I managed to cut up the video from Harry's. I apologize for the shaky iPhone vid. The video does not do justice of the near whoops i had in the bus stop chicane. This was the 1st session that the car started to get loose at corner exit after it was rather tight all weekend.

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 12-07-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:22 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,294 Likes on 2,447 Posts

^ I haven't driven Daytona, but 163 mph is no joke!
Old 12-07-2015, 11:27 PM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I have friends in Duesseldorf and they might be able to help. Are you far from there? __________________________________________________________________ I managed to cut up the video from Harry's. I apologize for the shaky iPhone vid. The video does not do justice of the near whoops i had in the bus stop chicane. This was the 1st session that the car started to get loose at corner exit after it was rather tight all weekend.
I am in Frankfurt. It is around 250 km.
I will receive the car in 10 days, but will hibernate it immediately (winter) and will come back to life in April. It is worth a try
Old 12-08-2015, 04:30 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Manifold
^ I haven't driven Daytona, but 163 mph is no joke!
The lap is a little sloppy because I'm screwing with the camera but relative to a 991 GT3 I'm down 17mph!
Old 12-08-2015, 06:49 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, but their feet doesnt touch the ground
Really?

I had an alignment done for my GT3 a couple of years ago and can't say a bad word about them.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:46 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,634 Likes on 759 Posts

^ Manthey was too busy to deal with my car, even with signing up for a track day.
They didn't work on weekends. LoL Raceteam. I ended up with Rinaldi and Horst Racing, awesome guys.

John, when are we going to Sebring?
Old 12-08-2015, 09:26 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We are ready Peter when you are! We will actually have a few Rennlisters at the PBOC Winterfest. You should come join us! The blue PDK Cayman R with the X51 will be there, a west coast GT4 is being shipped out and we will have a few race cars running the club race and will be running 1 or 2 cars in the 6 hour enduro! It should be awesome!
Old 12-08-2015, 09:33 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Great, I'll be there learning with Chris all there is to know about GT4's and I will steal GT4's sitting with keys in it ***** nilly. I'll bring the purple one.
GT4 arrives too late.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:41 AM
MXS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT4 @ PBIR

Second track day in GT4. Liking the Dunlops.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:14 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Thanks John, for all your help this weekend. I love that pic showing the car going 164 mph! Awesome!!!

Perhaps it might be interesting to some to learn how forgiving the car is to novice/intermediate driver mistakes on the track - as I made my share and was still able to stay out of trouble.
Outside of cockpit ergonomics (shifting, pedals, seat heights, etc) I think the most simple statement is that the balance is perfect for a new track day driver. Those that drive harder and attack the corners more might want more front grip and more rotation which they can get via modification but I saw with my own eyes how a newbie can get up to speed in the car and not feel like they have trouble being able to "get up on the wheel" so to speak. Matt did great, he listens well, he never made me fear for my life and my only complaint was that while like me, he talks to myself but unlike me he doesn't yell so it's hard to hear what his inner monologue was saying as he was braking, downshifting and cornering!
Old 12-08-2015, 04:52 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 984 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Great, I'll be there learning with Chris all there is to know about GT4's and I will steal GT4's sitting with keys in it ***** nilly. I'll bring the purple one.
GT4 arrives too late.
I will be doing the same with Barney. Very curious to see my GT4 laptimes relative to .2 GT3.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Sure.

To compare in 2010 I think I ran a 2:02 first session before clutch went out. Tires RA1, top speed 175 MPH in 2010RS. Never got fast at Daytona in the car because it broke and haven't been back.

Only did Daytona once. It scared me, needs a Daytona setup to be safe. Sebring setup works everywhere for me. I think it has been repaved / changed and 5 years ago so so lap time / speed could be way off.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:17 PM
markus_t19
Advanced

Yes, but their feet doesnt touch the ground
Then you might like proSport, also near the Ring:

http://www.prosport-performance.de

They have been running a lot of successful Caymans in the VLN and RCN over the last years.

And they are very much down to earth .
Old 10-08-2016, 02:30 PM
Gem Mookherjea
Advanced

Is this spacer on the front of your GT4, track tested for some time now, longer bolts , ready for public consumption?
Old 10-11-2016, 12:46 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's been a while since i've updated this thread and i wanted to add some notes having finally gotten on track with the car again; we have been so busy i have haven't had much time to run the car other than around town, on a few long road trips and back and forth to the dyno to try a few things here and there. Since my last update, the car received a full 991 X51/GTS upgrade to the top end that included cylinder heads, intake cams and the aluminum manifold along with some BMC filters because the K&Ns were on backorder. While the motor was out I opted for the 12 lb. aluminum lightweight flywheel and for exhaust i went with the Cargraphic stainless steel longtube headers but maintained the original PSE muffler system. All computer development work has been done with the Cobb Pro Tuner and Accessport.

A few weeks back i did 2 days at PBIR and then a few days later i did 2 days at Sebring but before going I added the Forgeline 19" * 9" / 19" * 11" front and rear wheels and mounted a set of 265/295 Hoosier R7s on them. I lowered the ride height a bit more in the back because i couldnt stand the sight of the gap with the shorter 19" tires. Lowering the rear exacerbates the understeer obviously and it's still there because the car still runs the stock alignment. It will not anymore though because it needs the camber in the middle of the corner and there's no getting around it. I still have some understeer at the limit on entry unless you really try and throw the car into the corner and then you can make it neutral or loose but it's not exactly clean and certainly isn't faster when sliding. My next change will be to revise the alignment finally...i had been putting it off because it started as more of a street car and less of a track car to me but i have been keeping the miles off and don't drive it a lot on the road. I haven't even hit 5K yet on the odometer.

As for all of the other upgrades and revisions, i haven't had 1 single problem with the car in this configuration. Power is great...everyone who drives it says that they wished the car was born that way. i love the tall 2nd gear in the hairpins and have nothing but smiles when the car hits 5K RPM and starts pulling all the way to the redline at 7800 or 8100 depending on where i have it set. The Hoosiers really improve the braking and grip level. At a tight track like PBIR my car was as fast as any race car we ever tested in the middle of a very hot August day with temps in the 90s and record humidity. I have yet to find a 991 GT3 with a super advanced driver so right now my video/data is a bit skewed. At Sebring i couldn't outrun a modified Nissan GTR but we all know that's probably biting off more than i can chew.

Here is a clip from Sebring and I am submitting this as Exhibit A in my argument as to why i love the tall 2nd gear.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKVt8Uwj...orsports&hl=en

Originally Posted by Gem Mookherjea
Is this spacer on the front of your GT4, track tested for some time now, longer bolts , ready for public consumption?
The spacer got removed during a tire swap but i just put it back on at 15mm with the longer bolts. I'm not a huge fan of wheel bolts and will probably go to wheel studs when i get more time. Since 991s/981s don't have a locking wheel bolt anymore, you can run studs and if you go to the track a lot, i would just do it. The studs have been track tested since 2009 and i have no worries or concerns having run as much as 30mm of spacer on them.

Quick Reply: Cayman GT4 Track Blog