Sponsored by: APR

LWB Alternatives - What fits?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016 | 10:34 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dntlvet
So we all know the deal with LWBs, some of us out there now need alternatives. What is the deal with the LWB seats???? I very much like my LWBS in my 991 GT3 >>>>> What is the worry about these seats in the GT4???
Some of us were unable to order with LWBs due to a stop order. Some of those impacted risked getting their allocation given to other customers. Many of us opted to take the car and not risk not getting one. Others don't fit in them well. They also are not available as parts and people selling them want $19k or some stupid Price. I'm sure the LWBs are great and I would have got them if I could have. All my safety mods, extra tires and a couple months worth of DEs cost less than the seats outside of the factory offering.
Old 02-29-2016 | 10:35 PM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by GRCaymanR
Would the folding carbon buckets from a cayman r fit?
I can't speak to that, I don't have the comprehensive specs to compare them to the aftermarket seats listed.
Old 02-29-2016 | 10:42 PM
katmeho
Pro

Other good details can be found here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/920186-alternatives-to-factory-lwbs-2.html
Old 02-29-2016 | 11:30 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by GRCaymanR
Would the folding carbon buckets from a cayman r fit?
These seats were offered as an option on the early GT4's for the non-North American market so they will fit. The number of error codes that will be generated is the question...
Old 03-01-2016 | 03:46 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 148 Likes on 80 Posts

Someone is selling 918 seats in the classifieds - https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ket-seats.html. While they look similar to GT4/GT3 seats, I believe they are not the same, so might want to investigate fitment first.
Old 03-01-2016 | 04:39 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Someone is selling 918 seats in the classifieds - https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ket-seats.html. While they look similar to GT4/GT3 seats, I believe they are not the same, so might want to investigate fitment first.
They also say 918 Spyder on them, which would not be ideal for many.
Old 03-13-2016 | 03:15 PM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems that turning off the airbag light may not be so easy as prior generations where you just went in with PWIS and turned it off. Has anybody found the secret and want to share?
Old 06-20-2016 | 08:12 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 131 Posts

Can someone suggest a seat base for a Recaro Profi XL or other Recaro seat? I saw BBi has one with slider for $400. GMG seat base is $600, not sure of the difference.
Old 06-21-2016 | 09:30 AM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by katmeho
Some of us were unable to order with LWBs due to a stop order. Some of those impacted risked getting their allocation given to other customers. Many of us opted to take the car and not risk not getting one. Others don't fit in them well. They also are not available as parts and people selling them want $19k or some stupid Price. I'm sure the LWBs are great and I would have got them if I could have. All my safety mods, extra tires and a couple months worth of DEs cost less than the seats outside of the factory offering.
Having received a car with LWBs (and having just done two days at road America with ten) I can say that you shouldn't bemoan not having them. They look cool but they are no revelation. I have some 996 gt3 seats in the attic that are every bit as cool and comfortable. And I rode around road America recently in a gt4 with gt2 seats that looked and felt awesome. I even had a buddy (who was awaiting arrival of his lwb Gt4) complain that the lwb seats push your head forward with a helmet on. So there you go. In typical
Porsche fashion the limited (i.e., criminally overpriced) availability has become a self fulfilling prophecy
Old 06-21-2016 | 10:46 AM
katmeho
Pro

Yup, having spent time in the LWBs I much prefer my Racetechs now...
Old 06-21-2016 | 11:19 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,893 Likes on 2,410 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
Can someone suggest a seat base for a Recaro Profi XL or other Recaro seat? I saw BBi has one with slider for $400. GMG seat base is $600, not sure of the difference.
recaro has the needed side brackets
get 996 gt3 oem slider $$$
the recaro brackets bolts to seat and needs modification to mount to oe
996 gt3 slider. once assembled whole thing mounts to tub.

with above info, ur shop shroud have zero prob installing it. if they can't do it, u need new shop. I have close to 30 done this way

that's not to say this is the only way to do it, but just one way that worked..
Old 04-04-2017 | 11:11 PM
2fnquik
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone have pics of an aftermarket bucket install in a GT4?
Old 04-04-2017 | 11:25 PM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by 2fnquik
Does anyone have pics of an aftermarket bucket install in a GT4?

Old 04-05-2017 | 09:41 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 96 Posts

Katmeho: can you please post a summary of what you are showing in the photos? For example, if I wanted to buy the exact same set-up, what would I need? Do the seat sliders work or are they fixed? Any other issues, good or bad?
Old 04-05-2017 | 11:36 AM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by aryork
Katmeho: can you please post a summary of what you are showing in the photos? For example, if I wanted to buy the exact same set-up, what would I need? Do the seat sliders work or are they fixed? Any other issues, good or bad?
search for my build post in the GT4 forum. It's got all the part numbers and install details. My setup is on sliders from GMG. It's all good except at 6 ft tall with the RaceTech cushion you have little headroom clearance but I never drive on track with the cushion in so it's not a problem for me. I like feeling the car more.

Quick Reply: LWB Alternatives - What fits?