Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Anyone have a Video VBox CAN connection running in a GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 12:20 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LaSource
Steering data is available on the CAN.
Look at the clip I posted above I have it working.
There are two data items - one is steering angle and the other is steering direction (IIRC its 0 for right and 1 for left)
You do need to create a simple maths argument to mesh the two together. I also scaled it to 180 deg either side as you rarely go over this. I also post the actual values on the scene as it helps with lap to lap comparisons.

The math approach also catches opposite lock moments which may not work with a lateral acceleration calculation

The downside to the steering maths is that this takes up two channels if you are limited I channels.
However if you are running out of channels then speak to racelogic and see if you can purchase additional channels.
I'm using:
Rev
Accelerator
Brake
Clutch
Steering angle
Steering direction.
Sport button status
You're right on what's available. On the Vbox Lite we are limited to only 4 can channels out the box. If you pick throttle, brake and rpm's, which I deem the most critical ones, you only have one channel left to make steering work. Trying to find a workable work-around without having to buy more channels...might have to end up doing that, although I have second camera on my hands, so it in fact shows me what my steering is doing, just visually and not data. Going back and forth on whether it's worth it...
Old 05-24-2016, 01:31 PM
LaSource
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Vbox lite can actually support 8 channels (even though as you rightly state 4 is the published limit) - that's what I have running.

Yes, there is a cost but I suggest have a chat with racelogic to see what this could be.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:44 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Vbox lite can actually support 8 channels (even though as you rightly state 4 is the published limit) - that's what I have running.

Yes, there is a cost but I suggest have a chat with racelogic to see what this could be.
$440 per their website
Old 05-27-2016, 04:37 PM
LaSource
Instructor

Racelogic now also have the GEAR selected on the CAN bus (for the street manual car).

However, if you are running out of CAN channels then ShakeNBake's maths channel implementation may be more desirable
Old 05-27-2016, 10:27 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Racelogic now also have the GEAR selected on the CAN bus (for the street manual car).

However, if you are running out of CAN channels then ShakeNBake's maths channel implementation may be more desirable
Did they publish a new reference file to add this? I don't have my track computer with me to look at the older file I have to see if it's there? They also never put the GT4 file on their website as far as I can see.

Just curious...
Old 05-28-2016, 03:26 AM
LaSource
Instructor

Originally Posted by myBailey07
Did they publish a new reference file to add this? I don't have my track computer with me to look at the older file I have to see if it's there? They also never put the GT4 file on their website as far as I can see.

Just curious...
Hi. Yes, I received a new reference file from their team this last week.

I assume it gets uploaded onto their website. Though I'm surprised if the previous GT4 file is not already there. It was developed some time ago (April?).

If it's not online then I'll see if I can post it here (or PM me if interested)
Old 06-01-2016, 02:59 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

HD2 Scene Draft.....1080p

Name:  HD2_Scene.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  142.1 KB
Old 06-01-2016, 12:07 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
HD2 Scene Draft.....1080p

Attachment 1057001

Did u get it yet?
Old 06-01-2016, 12:59 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

They are not quite available yet. I'm thinking about it, but need to sell my Lite first. It looks like the ssetup oftware is still in early Beta. Peter is going to test the scene I created last night over the weekend with a client. We're not sure if CAN is working yet.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:42 PM
LaSource
Instructor

Been playing a bit with ShakeNBake's hard work on the vbox lite scene.
Updated the scene for UK PAL standard and revised a few items for additional data feeds:

We now have:
- independent steering bars for left and right
- gear selection directly off CAN bus (wrote a basic maths channel to stop it registering spurious numbers when below 3 mph)
- all three pedals (clutch, brake, throttle)...clutch is really just a luxury but why not.
- Sport button position off CAN so you see if downblips are manual or auto blip
- all position bars also have the absolute value printed for more accurate video comparison
- updated scene for PAL and UK timezone
- cleaned up some of the static graphics which was difficult to read on the PAL map
- re-calibrated the dials which were out by a few % (maybe an NTSC to PAL conversion side effect)
I am using 8 channels on my vbox lite so I can access all the additional channels above.

Example screen grab (track map and lap times will only show at a real track. Track test pending):

Old 06-05-2016, 08:34 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Cool! I wish I had more CAN channels on my Lite. The HD2 has 24, and I'm seeing if they can get racelogic to get TPMS in there too.

BTW my lite is for sale if anyone is interested....have not gotten around to posting it yet because it's still installed.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:30 PM
pvgolfer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys did an awesome job setting up and configuring the VBox. Nice work...

I went and picked up a VBox Lite system for myself. Would you be willing to share your scene and CAN database files, and anything else a newbie GT4 owner could use??? PM me and I'll provide my contact info.

Thanks in advance! I appreciate the help!
Old 06-20-2016, 03:35 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

HD2 video from this weekend:

Watch the vids in full screen 1080p...

It was drizzling at COTA, time was at 8:30am-ish, so you can see low light conditions for HD2 vs. Lite. FOV for the HD2 is much greater.

The videos would be shorter, but Circuit Tooks can't yet slice video to individual laps for the HD2.

Full Screen drizzle/low light

Bright Light
Old 06-20-2016, 09:46 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
HD2 video from this weekend:

Watch the vids in full screen 1080p...

It was drizzling at COTA, time was at 8:30am-ish, so you can see low light conditions for HD2 vs. Lite. FOV for the HD2 is much greater.
Video looks great. Scene looks awesome. Loved that Miata drifting T1 in front of you...your lap times should be a lot faster though - I noted on your speedo dial you're doing 175mph down the back straight...
Old 06-20-2016, 10:43 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myBailey07
I noted on your speedo dial you're doing 175mph down the back straight...
thx

It impresses the miata drivers....

Quick Reply: Anyone have a Video VBox CAN connection running in a GT4?