Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Anyone have a Video VBox CAN connection running in a GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:25 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Ok, it's basically done for the VBOX lite (red). I moved the g decimal readout in a slightly newer version that shown here. Waiting for an HD2 to build a scene for it.

It you watch in 1080p HD you can see the difference plenum and tune (red) makes over just headers and stock tune (purple) in the acceleration that starts at 1:00 on the velocity data trace. Gains back nearly 0.5 seconds down that back straight. Purple was in about 50F ambient, and red was 85F Ambient, so the improvement is probably greater than shown here.

If anyone has a VBOX and is interested in this scene, please PM me.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:22 AM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Ok, it's basically done for the VBOX lite (red). I moved the g decimal readout in a slightly newer version that shown here. Waiting for an HD2 to build a scene for it.

It you watch in 1080p HD you can see the difference plenum and tune (red) makes over just headers and stock tune (purple) in the acceleration that starts at 1:00 on the velocity data trace. Gains back nearly 0.5 seconds down that back straight. Purple was in about 50F ambient, and red was 85F Ambient, so the improvement is probably greater than shown here.

If anyone has a VBOX and is interested in this scene, please PM me.

Looks great! Lots of hard work. I'll shoot you my pm. More importantly, I always find watching your COTA videos embarrassing, yet educational. You were hauling *** through 19...(and many other places)...
Old 05-13-2016, 12:29 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myBailey07
Looks great! Lots of hard work. I'll shoot you my pm. More importantly, I always find watching your COTA videos embarrassing, yet educational. You were hauling *** through 19...(and many other places)...
thx!
It was almost like therapy to get back into my old CAD and graphic arts roots as a teenager...I feel like I can put together pretty much any dashboard at this point.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:22 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 278 Posts

Nice, that dash is sweet! The software is legit too.. that beats my screwing around in race render trying to link and time AIM data to a gopro vid.

Superb driving as always, what is the verdict on the intake and TB? Feel a difference or would you recommend the tune as well?
Old 05-20-2016, 09:36 PM
LaSource
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

An update on the vbox, the guys at Racelogic have apparently now also decoded the CAN IDs for the GT4 Clubsport race car.

The new IDs include Throttle position, RPM, Brake pressure, Wheel speeds, Steering angle and Gear parameters.

All of these are already available for the road going GT4. I am awaiting to hear whether the Gear parameter is available for the road GT4...that would be a nice addition though not a certainty as the race car is PDK whilst the road car is manual/stick shift.

In the meantime, here is a short clip from Silverstone GP circuit this week in a standard GT4. I've got all the main parameters all working now - may update if gear info becomes available. Sadly the camera was not aligned perfectly so the road looks a little slanted

Old 05-20-2016, 11:05 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LaSource
An update on the vbox, the guys at Racelogic have apparently now also decoded the CAN IDs for the GT4 Clubsport race car.

The new IDs include Throttle position, RPM, Brake pressure, Wheel speeds, Steering angle and Gear parameters.

All of these are already available for the road going GT4. I am awaiting to hear whether the Gear parameter is available for the road GT4...that would be a nice addition though not a certainty as the race car is PDK whilst the road car is manual/stick shift.

In the meantime, here is a short clip from Silverstone GP circuit this week in a standard GT4. I've got all the main parameters all working now - may update if gear info becomes available. Sadly the camera was not aligned perfectly so the road looks a little slanted

Did you watch the video I posted? Take a look - it's pretty sweet. I have gear working too.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:05 AM
LaSource
Instructor

Did you watch the video I posted? Take a look - it's pretty sweet. I have gear working too.
It does look good!
Is the gear a direct CAN id or a maths channel?

I'll PM you for a copy of the scene...

Old 05-21-2016, 10:26 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LaSource
It does look good!
Is the gear a direct CAN id or a maths channel?

I'll PM you for a copy of the scene...

It's a special element that you set RPM/Speed breakpoints per gear.
1) calculate the top speed in each gear at redline
2) Racelogic has a widget to calculate the breakpoint values
Name:  Cars_-_Google_Sheets.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  239.9 KB

3) create a speed/rpm math channel
Name:  math.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  373.6 KB

4) configure the element with the math channel and the break points.
Name:  gear.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  221.0 KB
Old 05-21-2016, 01:34 PM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great Jacy, was thinking about getting the new HD Vbox. I may be getting a GT4 after all. If so, I may ask for help in getting my system all set up.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:30 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Hi, I used your scene this weekend at TWS and it works and looks great! Thank you for sharing. I could not see anything that did not work.

The only change I would probably make is with brake pressure. The brake pressure is not a % but actual pressure and with the way the bar max is set at 100 it looks like I am braking very little compared to gas% which is an actual position.

I did some street tests and it looks like my ABS locks up around brake pressure of around 50 on the oem tires. So, I'll probably set it around that value, or a little higher, so the bar is more representative of how hard I am braking. In my logic, if my abs kicks in I am braking as hard I can (not good, but still) and I would like to have the bar shows FULL. Will play around with what that number should be.

Anyway, if that is the best I could come up with, it means you have done a GREAT job with it.

(I am also going to wreck my brain trying to figure out whether there is way to use a math channel to give us directional steering input by combining the raw input, which we have, and the directional sign, which I theoretically should be able to get from lateral g forces which tell me which way the car is turning...)

Thanks again for the time and effort put forth.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:44 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myBailey07
Hi, I used your scene this weekend at TWS and it works and looks great! Thank you for sharing. I could not see anything that did not work.

The only change I would probably make is with brake pressure. The brake pressure is not a % but actual pressure and with the way the bar max is set at 100 it looks like I am braking very little compared to gas% which is an actual position.

I did some street tests and it looks like my ABS locks up around brake pressure of around 50 on the oem tires. So, I'll probably set it around that value, or a little higher, so the bar is more representative of how hard I am braking. In my logic, if my abs kicks in I am braking as hard I can (not good, but still) and I would like to have the bar shows FULL. Will play around with what that number should be.

Anyway, if that is the best I could come up with, it means you have done a GREAT job with it.

(I am also going to wreck my brain trying to figure out whether there is way to use a math channel to give us directional steering input by combining the raw input, which we have, and the directional sign, which I theoretically should be able to get from lateral g forces which tell me which way the car is turning...)

Thanks again for the time and effort put forth.
Excellent! Glad it is 90% of the way there.

I tried with the steering - but they don't sign that data...there does not seem to be a pattern. An option is to use lateral accel to decide which direction, but you would not see a cross-over correction.

Brake pressure - hmmmm. I'd expect that to be a function of true brake traction, not ABS lockup threshold. So there could be a math channel that keeps track of the max, and it could scale that automatically. I have not looked at data on Hoosiers to see if the pressure can get much higher, say when beginning braking into 12 or 1, where you would have maximum brake traction of any track I know of.

Last edited by ShakeNBake; 05-23-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:08 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Brake pressure - hmmmm. I'd expect that to be a function of true brake traction, not ABS lockup threshold. So there could be a math channel that keeps track of the max, and it could scale that automatically. I have not looked at data on Hoosiers to see if the pressure can get much higher, say when beginning braking into 12 or 1, where you would have maximum brake traction of any track I know of.
Yeah, abs is dependent an many things when exactly it is going to kick in. I just used it as a very crude, quick starting indicator to use as a better max for the brake graph. But, you're right, I'll probably just go dig up my last files from cota and look up what the actual max pressure's were from brake zones like T12, use this and adjust from there looking at data. The data file does show max brake presuure.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:49 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

I checked some data from cota. I have a few laps where it's 100 going into T12. I'm wondering what the units are now....I will shoot off a note to Racelogic.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:48 AM
myBailey07
Pro

I checked some data from cota. I have a few laps where it's 100 going into T12. I'm wondering what the units are now....I will shoot off a note to Racelogic.
100 Wow! The datafile in Circuit Tools show the unit is Bar, indicating, to me, that it is absolute pressure and not % like the throttle. I looked at the last cota day's files for me and the highest I could see was around 69 before abs kicked in. There are a few readings in the 70-79 range, but it looks like in these cases the abs kicked in (I assume this from looking at the brake profile showing pressure rapidly on/off over the duration of the brake).

Now, mine is on the cup 2's and I know ambient conditions will affect grip and therefore when abs will kick in as well, and I would assume you being on R7's gives you more grip and therefore ability to use more brake pressure before abs kicks in, but I would not have guessed 70 on Cup 2's vs 100 on R7's. That HUGE!

But, then again, I might be mistaken as it can also be me in the way I apply brakes compared to you, or maybe the way I look at the data.

Interesting what looking at data starts to show you.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:02 PM
LaSource
Instructor

Steering data is available on the CAN.
Look at the clip I posted above I have it working.
There are two data items - one is steering angle and the other is steering direction (IIRC its 0 for right and 1 for left)
You do need to create a simple maths argument to mesh the two together. I also scaled it to 180 deg either side as you rarely go over this. I also post the actual values on the scene as it helps with lap to lap comparisons.

The math approach also catches opposite lock moments which may not work with a lateral acceleration calculation

The downside to the steering maths is that this takes up two channels if you are limited I channels.
However if you are running out of channels then speak to racelogic and see if you can purchase additional channels.
I'm using:
Rev
Accelerator
Brake
Clutch
Steering angle
Steering direction.
Sport button status

Quick Reply: Anyone have a Video VBox CAN connection running in a GT4?