Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Anyone have a Video VBox CAN connection running in a GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 12:41 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

how much for the vbox hd2? know of any resellers?
Old 03-11-2016, 12:45 PM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 9972RS
how much for the vbox hd2? know of any resellers?
I got these prices from Racelogic in the US back in January.

HD2 single camera $2,395
HD2 two camera $2,795
HD2 single cam + OLED display $2,745
HD2 two cam + OLED display $3,145

This forum is a good place to ask about dealers:
https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...ng-and-de-233/
Old 03-11-2016, 12:56 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

I recommend ProCoach (Peter Krause) as a Vendor. I've bought an AIM and VBOX system from him. He's very knowledgeable in the various systems, and uses them extensively to teach.

HD2 is not on the market yet, it's about to be. One consideration is the x-fer speed. SD units produce about a 1GB file size per 30min session. The HD unit will likely product a much larger file, perhaps 10x - which will take longer to xfer to your laptop, and also take up more space. I think I'm using up 250GB of a SSD drive on my macbook holding track data, with just SD data. Something to consider. I've asked myself do I really need the higher fidelity ... the only times I wish I had more was replaying an incident I caught on video. But I will still likely get an HD2 because-shiny-new-toy....
Old 03-11-2016, 02:17 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Update: The eagle has finally landed. I have CAN data.... booya!.

Working on a new scene now....
Old 03-11-2016, 02:52 PM
LaSource
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Update: The eagle has finally landed. I have CAN data.... booya!.

Working on a new scene now....
Oh yes, new scene please
Old 03-12-2016, 04:50 AM
LaSource
Instructor

Has anyone got a decent set of GT4 dials for vbox scene?
I am currently using the GT3 RS dials but apart from displaying GT3 RS, it also shows an incorrect red line...
Old 03-12-2016, 02:58 PM
LaSource
Instructor

Ok - getting there. All works.
Managed to customise the GT3RS dials and add the GT4 logo to it and add a lower red line (..sigh, if only it was a higher revving engine)

Rest of the scene needs some work, but just wanted to test everything was working. Seems like the steering angle is an absolute angle and not +/- and so only gives defection off top dead centre regardless of whether left or right. There is a steering direction ID which may be used in conjunction I suppose to give left and right angles.

Did a quick road test (not representative of track levels of measurements). Some screen grabs below even though they came out a bit fuzzy. More work to be done yet.

Driving off

Braking

Turning
Old 03-12-2016, 03:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,900 Posts

These are all standard issues (steering direction or +/- value) with the info coming from the car. What you can do is built a math channel that can show that in VBOX Setup, IIRC. Joe L or Mark K at VBOX USA may be able to help. I'm building my own GT4 scene for my clients now.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-12-2016, 04:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LaSource
Ok - getting there. All works.
Managed to customise the GT3RS dials and add the GT4 logo to it and add a lower red line (..sigh, if only it was a higher revving engine)

More work to be done yet.
Have you loaded your Auto Track Map element? Either that or you're right outside the gates of Silverstone!
Old 03-12-2016, 04:46 PM
LaSource
Instructor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Have you loaded your Auto Track Map element? Either that or you're right outside the gates of Silverstone!
Lol! That would be heavenly.

No not Auto Map. - I (perhaps lazily) upload individual track scenes each time I go - as next weekend is Silverstone that's the one I'm using.

Having said that, now that I have an OLED display as well I am tempted by using auto track map function and /or multiple scenes.

In terms of your point earlier - yes I figured a maths channel would be required to perfect the steering angle.

So next challenge after refining the scene is to decide where to site the vbox unit in the GT4. I had tapped into the CAN in the trunk area...but now going to use the front driver footwell access point instead. For the box unit options are either under the glovebox or next to driver between driver seat and side sill...
Old 03-12-2016, 06:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I recommend ProCoach (Peter Krause) as a Vendor. I've bought an AIM and VBOX system from him. He's very knowledgeable in the various systems, and uses them extensively to teach.

HD2 is not on the market yet, it's about to be. One consideration is the x-fer speed. SD units produce about a 1GB file size per 30min session. The HD unit will likely product a much larger file, perhaps 10x - which will take longer to xfer to your laptop, and also take up more space. I think I'm using up 250GB of a SSD drive on my macbook holding track data, with just SD data. Something to consider. I've asked myself do I really need the higher fidelity ... the only times I wish I had more was replaying an incident I caught on video. But I will still likely get an HD2 because-shiny-new-toy....
Thanks for the recommendation!

I will have a GT4 kit VVB HD2 kit requiring no cutting or soldering (inductive pickup) upon successful testing and the release of the HD2, which I estimate will be May or June, at this point. I will have a demo prototype hopefully by the end of this month, but I've been hearing this for a long time...

On the file size, they're using a new codec that will allow the SAME file size (or not very much more) as the SD version, so that won't be an issue.

Thanks again! I don't care what people use, just that they use SOMETHING!
Old 03-12-2016, 06:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LaSource
Lol! That would be heavenly.

No not Auto Map. - I (perhaps lazily) upload individual track scenes each time I go - as next weekend is Silverstone that's the one I'm using.

Having said that, now that I have an OLED display as well I am tempted by using auto track map function and /or multiple scenes.

In terms of your point earlier - yes I figured a maths channel would be required to perfect the steering angle.

So next challenge after refining the scene is to decide where to site the vbox unit in the GT4. I had tapped into the CAN in the trunk area...but now going to use the front driver footwell access point instead. For the box unit options are either under the glovebox or next to driver between driver seat and side sill...
Make sure your VVBL firmware is up to date and then build your scenes with Auto Track Map instead of individuals. With the OLED, you can select various "sub tracks" like Silverstone Club, Silverstone GP, etc.

I saw someone (you?) velcro to the fuse box cover, which I thought was clever. Not a bad way to do it.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:19 PM
LaSource
Instructor

Thanks - will give it a go later this week.

In the meantime, clip on CAN cable relocated to front footwell (RHD car) and updated scene coming along...

Racelogic clip on CAN cable attached at the Gateway module...this avoids any alteration to the wiring loom

Wrapped up

Final finish all clean...cable routed under panel and then alongside sill

...and updated scene...have attached camera 2 to point at the pedals.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:40 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

I am also waiting for a vbox-HD2. Still I got things going Well In GT4 In terms of app and all. Got a M4 GTS soon and they got things sorted It seems. As I just order a OBD stick and It take out al data.

Think its cool they got this ODB STICK to go With car to get the most out of BMW laptimer app. Sorry to mess down thread With My BMW 😂

Old 03-18-2016, 01:45 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish Porsche would expose all this data via OBD2. It would be so simple.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a Video VBox CAN connection running in a GT4?