Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Anyone have a Video VBox CAN connection running in a GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 02:21 PM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by katmeho
I wish Porsche would expose all this data via OBD2. It would be so simple.
That would be silly: they wouldn't be able to charge us $2000 for Sport Chrono!

Seriously, I thought that the OBD data rate was too slow to provide useful information quick enough.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:36 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FergusH
That would be silly: they wouldn't be able to charge us $2000 for Sport Chrono!

Seriously, I thought that the OBD data rate was too slow to provide useful information quick enough.
Actually, both super valid points..
Old 03-21-2016, 01:55 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Booya! Got my CAN stuff working with the help of the information here and more info from ShakeNBake. Thx!

I have the can clip on attached by the driver's side fuse box and it works; However, the cable that comes with it is then too short to reach the vbox mounted on the passenger fuse box cover. I can clip it on higher in the foot well, but I am having real trouble working upside down and getting the twisted can wires unwind enough here to slip in the clip on. Is there a trick to unwind the wires? I am afraid of breaking them if I am too rough...

Also,

How are you guys handling brake pressure in the scene? While throttle comes through as %, brake pressure is a raw measure in bar. I'd like to show it as a % in the scene similar to throttle position. One way is to just test by mashing the brake and see what pressure it gives me as a max and then use it to calculate % or just set it as the max of the range in the bar chart.

Just curious how others handle this one?
Old 03-21-2016, 02:10 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
Booya! Got my CAN stuff working with the help of the information here and more info from ShakeNBake. Thx!

I have the can clip on attached by the driver's side fuse box and it works; However, the cable that comes with it is then too short to reach the vbox mounted on the passenger fuse box cover. I can clip it on higher in the foot well, but I am having real trouble working upside down and getting the twisted can wires unwind enough here to slip in the clip on. Is there a trick to unwind the wires? I am afraid of breaking them if I am too rough...

Also,

How are you guys handling brake pressure in the scene? While throttle comes through as %, brake pressure is a raw measure in bar. I'd like to show it as a % in the scene similar to throttle position. One way is to just test by mashing the brake and see what pressure it gives me as a max and then use it to calculate % or just set it as the max of the range in the bar chart.

Just curious how others handle this one?
Mash it and get the max value, then you can create a simple math channel that scales that to %.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:29 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Got it going!

Threw a quick scene together just for getting by while ShakeNBake does all the hard word ;-)

Old 04-13-2016, 06:12 PM
LaSource
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

vbox all up and running really well.

I have mapped the left/right steering maths wrong (shows left when pointing right!) and need to swap over.

In the meantime, here is a lap of legendary Spa Francorchamps from last weekend! A couple of GoPros added for additional views

Old 04-14-2016, 12:43 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Getting close to done with the VBOX scene. It's 98% accurate size wise, which is the problem, I need to scale it a bit in a cartoonish way. Gears not working properly yet....this lap had the wrong mapping to the brake...it's coming along.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:44 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

I am selling my VBOX lite for half price if anybody is interested send me a PM.

Great system.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:53 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

LaSource - great video at Spa - just wondering - your title says GT4 Clubsport, but it's a manual in the vid - is that a different option in the UK? I thought Clubsport was PDK only?
Old 04-14-2016, 03:56 AM
LaSource
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by laranja
LaSource - great video at Spa - just wondering - your title says GT4 Clubsport, but it's a manual in the vid - is that a different option in the UK? I thought Clubsport was PDK only?
Thanks.
Sorry, I just meant a road GT4 with the EU Clubsport spec (buckets seats, 6-point harnesses fixed to rear bulkhead, fire extinguisher, rear roll cage, cut outs for front roll cage)....I guess this option was not available state side.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:08 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LaSource
Thanks.
Sorry, I just meant a road GT4 with the EU Clubsport spec (buckets seats, 6-point harnesses fixed to rear bulkhead, fire extinguisher, rear roll cage, cut outs for front roll cage)....I guess this option was not available state side.
It's worse, they didn't even leave in the anchor points so that US owners could install parts obtained from the EU....
Old 04-14-2016, 11:58 AM
myBailey07
Pro

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
It's worse, they didn't even leave in the anchor points so that US owners could install parts obtained from the EU....
...or have to cut the damn passenger seat to get belt installed....
Old 04-14-2016, 12:03 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Getting close to done with the VBOX scene. It's 98% accurate size wise, which is the problem, I need to scale it a bit in a cartoonish way. Gears not working properly yet....this lap had the wrong mapping to the brake...it's coming along.

It does look great though! You just need to size down the ring around the tach a bit...my 2c.

At first look I started your lap about midway and immediately thought: "WTF? Why is he left foot braking EVERYWHERE?!" before I realized your brake mapping must be wrong
Old 04-14-2016, 12:14 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myBailey07
It does look great though! You just need to size down the ring around the tach a bit...my 2c.

At first look I started your lap about midway and immediately thought: "WTF? Why is he left foot braking EVERYWHERE?!" before I realized your brake mapping must be wrong
Secret technique ;-)

Definitely thinking the same thing you are with the center dial size. I'm going to play with ratio of text size and dial area to keep the look of a GT4 dash, but it will no longer be to scale.

Last edited by ShakeNBake; 04-14-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:18 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Ok some changes to the scene. Smaller dials, and truncated to removed wasted space.

Latest
Name:  dashnew.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  557.9 KB

Previous version
Name:  dashold.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  533.8 KB

Quick Reply: Anyone have a Video VBox CAN connection running in a GT4?