Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR
View Poll Results: Trade or Sell 2010 997.2 Turbo with 6sp/ssk for GT4?
Hell Yes!
71.43%
Hell No!
14.29%
Upgrade the turbo's exhaust instead and save $100K
14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Order placed...mistake made?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 01:59 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Order placed...mistake made?

Got a question for the experts:

My heart tells me, "trade (or sell) that '10 Turbo with its 6 speed for the more raw GT4" as I'd like a lighter weight, RWD car with a stick...I'll likely also never have another chance to spec a NEW Porsche...

The turbo is great, but like everything else, I've become used to it. The GT4 has a look I find exciting, a track isn't that far from my home, and I don't need the back seats as I've got an S4 as my bike/family hauler.

A friend and my personal Porsche guru has driven the GT4 and "would never trade in a recent vintage 911 turbo for one". That coming from a 991 turbo driver, who likes his amenities and power.

No matter how much "better they are", I don't want the rear-wheel steer, the multimagnetoadaptabledynamnicsport settings etc., as my Audi has all the tech I can deal with anyway. The electric steering is even tough for me to swallow...A great gear box, a sweet engine sound, and flat cornering is about all I really want. Although I've been Porsche obsessed for about 40 years, I don't have much of an ego, but I have to admit that the wing satisfies my balding head and approaching 50 year mark too.

I feel pretty confident about this decision. I would love a manual GT3, but that won't happen and the "911 R" will be out of my price range. I'm no VIP, so I likely wouldn't have a chance for one anyway. The GT4 has the LWBs, partial leather interior, and sport chrono. Don't know if the sport chrono is worth getting, as it seems like a $2000 app only. The car is supposed to be here in June 2016. The dealer says it's their "last allocation" (of course)...

Am I crazy? What say you?

thanks--
Old 11-21-2015, 04:43 PM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

ADD - don't replace and after 12 months, decide to keep or sell.
That way no regrets.
I have GT4 coming, would not sell by TTS - different cars, uses
GT4 with NO options is still a great car/value.

Just my opinion
Old 11-21-2015, 04:49 PM
bhk1004
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not try and get a ride in your area to see where you live either before winter hits or early spring before the order locks? Pretty big power delta you might regret it who knows.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:42 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Plenty of turbos around. You can always buy another.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:09 PM
docfink
Pro

Default Good idea, but...

...don't know if I can swing it financially. The turbo's power is incredible on the highway, but I rarely get into it during the daily commute. I'll look into keeping both, but don't know if I actually WANT both, even in order to choose one over the other.

Originally Posted by JUPJAI
ADD - don't replace and after 12 months, decide to keep or sell.
That way no regrets.
I have GT4 coming, would not sell by TTS - different cars, uses
GT4 with NO options is still a great car/value.

Just my opinion
Old 11-21-2015, 07:10 PM
docfink
Pro

Default Great thought...

...I'll put out a request to see if I can grab a ride locally.
Originally Posted by bhk1004
Why not try and get a ride in your area to see where you live either before winter hits or early spring before the order locks? Pretty big power delta you might regret it who knows.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:26 PM
TurboDogue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
Plenty of turbos around. You can always buy another.
plenty might be a large understatement. And the same car you have now will be 10% or more cheaper in a year. Love turbos but drop like a sixty year old set of hooters
Old 11-21-2015, 08:54 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The cars are very different as others (and you) have alluded to. If you have never driven the 981 platform you should do so before making a decision. If I were forced to have only one Pcar it would have to be a 911 variant or derivative. I have had a couple of the mid-engined cars and love them for what they are, and will cherish the GT4, but priority #1 for me personally is an engine at the back.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:21 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Power / torque is addictive - you may feel the gt4 is underdone. Get both and sell the s4!
Old 11-22-2015, 09:19 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Nice Turbo - but go with your heart.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:02 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

Buy / try the others before you sell.
If you dont track, don't do it.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:29 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 278 Posts

Do it
Old 11-22-2015, 01:38 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

It's going to feel super slow to you, a totally different kind of fun.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:40 PM
Smoltz
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by docfink
Got a question for the experts:

My heart tells me, "trade (or sell) that '10 Turbo with its 6 speed for the more raw GT4" as I'd like a lighter weight, RWD car with a stick...I'll likely also never have another chance to spec a NEW Porsche...

The turbo is great, but like everything else, I've become used to it. The GT4 has a look I find exciting, a track isn't that far from my home, and I don't need the back seats as I've got an S4 as my bike/family hauler.

A friend and my personal Porsche guru has driven the GT4 and "would never trade in a recent vintage 911 turbo for one". That coming from a 991 turbo driver, who likes his amenities and power.

No matter how much "better they are", I don't want the rear-wheel steer, the multimagnetoadaptabledynamnicsport settings etc., as my Audi has all the tech I can deal with anyway. The electric steering is even tough for me to swallow...A great gear box, a sweet engine sound, and flat cornering is about all I really want. Although I've been Porsche obsessed for about 40 years, I don't have much of an ego, but I have to admit that the wing satisfies my balding head and approaching 50 year mark too.

I feel pretty confident about this decision. I would love a manual GT3, but that won't happen and the "911 R" will be out of my price range. I'm no VIP, so I likely wouldn't have a chance for one anyway. The GT4 has the LWBs, partial leather interior, and sport chrono. Don't know if the sport chrono is worth getting, as it seems like a $2000 app only. The car is supposed to be here in June 2016. The dealer says it's their "last allocation" (of course)...

Am I crazy? What say you?

thanks--
How do you use the 997TT? Is it a daily driver? Weekend car? Do you put a lot of miles on it? Do you take it places or do you take it out, go for a cruise and bring it back to the house?

With the GT4, you'll be giving up a considerable amount of power and torque, the roomier cabin of the 911 and the lower belt line of the 9x7, in exchange you'll get better sound, better dynamics, a purer driving experience I think. Does that mesh with your usage?

I think how people use their cars has a big affect on satisfaction. I had a Ferrari 360 Modena, which I loved. My favorite car by far out of some 30 cars I've owned, but I wanted a Challenge Stradale, I loved the look, I loved the sound, I loved the rarity, so I sold the 360 and purchased a CS, but at the end of the day, it didn't mesh with my usage. I used the 360 almost as a daily driver. I would drive it to work, I'd take it on short trips, I'd take it on cruises on the weekend. While the CS looked and sounded great, it was so hardcore that it sucked for all but 'Point A to Point A' trips as I call them, leave the house, go for a romp, come back, and as much as I loved the look and the sound and everything else the CS offers over the 360, for me, it wasn't as good a car, because I couldn't use it the way I wanted to.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:15 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,515 Likes on 2,830 Posts

My favorite of all the cars I've owned was an s2000. Objectively slow (though quick), but still more raw than the others I've owned. Sometimes speed and power isn't everything.

Quick Reply: Order placed...mistake made?