Sponsored by: APR

Alcantara Sun Visors - Easy Airbag Warning Label Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 05:18 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Alcantara Sun Visors - Easy Airbag Warning Label Removal

Well I bit the bullet and gave this a shot myself even though I couldn't find any information specific to the Alcantara visors other than that they were easier to remove stickers from than the vinyl and leather variants, though nobody posted a confirmed method. Wanting to try lower-risk options first, I started by saturating them with just water, but that was painfully slow progress. Then I tried heating them with my wife's hair dryer (what an inferno!!), and that was hardly any better. So having previously found this thread here, I decided to just step up to isopropyl alcohol and follow it, and basically it went exactly as described there. I found 91% isopropyl alcohol at my local Walgreens (in addition to less concentrated alternatives, but that guide specifically says use 91) and poured some of the alcohol into a small plastic container for dipping into. I started out using a fresh sponge, but I quickly realized that it was slowing me down because it was absorbing most of the alcohol into itself, so I switched to paper towels. I didn't get either of the stickers off in a single piece, probably because I didn't wait the 1-2 minutes prescribed in that guide. I did however notice that if I waited longer on one section for the alcohol to set in while applying to another, that first section came off much more easily, so I have no doubt that those with more patience than I have may get a one-piece removal.

Other than what's already stated in the linked thread, I strongly recommend opening the windows while doing this to keep the fumes tolerable, and if you have open cuts on your hands, then wear gloves because 91% isopropyl alcohol will sting. I also held my plastic container directly under the paper towel while applying to the visors to catch drips, but that's not strictly necessary. But the end result is that the stickers came off with a bit of Alcantara fuzz attached, though looking at the visors now, there's no residue, discoloration, obviously missing material, or anything else to indicate that there was a warning label there, so I think this is definitely preferable over the cover-up sticker route. Good luck!

Last edited by jphughan; 11-11-2015 at 05:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JWPotter (01-09-2021)
Old 11-11-2015, 05:30 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

TPIWWOP

I want to yank mine off as well but it should be easier as I have vinyl ?
Old 11-11-2015, 05:38 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
TPIWWOP

I want to yank mine off as well but it should be easier as I have vinyl ?
I can't speak from personal experience, but what I've read suggests that Alcantara is easier than both leather and vinyl. A lot of people seem to use cover-up stickers for vinyl, but the DIY I linked seems to apply to the vinyl visors since the OP there mentions "pleather".
Old 11-11-2015, 05:40 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Found this http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...n-visor-5.html
Kinda like the leave and soak method and plastic bag cover
Regards
Ed
Old 11-11-2015, 05:42 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jphughan
I can't speak from personal experience, but what I've read suggests that Alcantara is easier than both leather and vinyl. A lot of people seem to use cover-up stickers for vinyl, but the DIY I linked seems to apply to the vinyl visors since the OP there mentions "pleather".
Thanks John
Looks like that will happen if you wait to long to remove them ??
I'll let ya know
I despise these stickers
Regards
Ed
Old 11-11-2015, 05:55 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Found this http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...n-visor-5.html
Kinda like the leave and soak method and plastic bag cover
Regards
Ed
Hmm, folding a paper towel to match the size of the sticker and then just leaving it there to soak for a while while the visor is rotated upward is a cool idea!
Old 11-12-2015, 11:29 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Default I finally got these stupid things off ...

What a waste of time
I pulled off the complete visors
Didn't want to hassle with trying to remove these Stupid F$%@ labels while I was in the car... So I pulled them off and did it on the bench.
There is a wire that is connected to the visor that can be a bitch to disconnect and with little to no light to see, it makes it even more difficult
It's a very tiny and hard to slide out connector but after 15 mins I finally got them off !
Soaked them in 70% isopropyl alcohol didn't have 90% ....
That proved to be a waste of time, so I moved on to denatured alcohol, and within 20 mins they were toast
Please note: I believe these are actually heat pressed on the visors, so there can be marks that are left on the visors ( like a swelling ) One was perfect, the other not so much
So, it depends on what they did at the factory. It's still better than those circus labels
Best regards
Ed
Attached Images    
Old 11-13-2015, 01:18 AM
jphughan
Drifting

^ Yeah, upon closer inspection of my visors in outdoor light and from different angles, I can see small areas of residue and just lines of Alcantara that are a bit darker than the rest of the visor area on both of mine. I may try some more alcohol and moderate scrubbing as suggested in the DIY I linked to clean them up a bit more, but given how subtle it is, I may also just leave them alone at this point. As you say, it's still miles better than the stickers. It's not as if I spend much time staring at my visors, certainly not from a variety of angles and lighting, but the warning labels were always in my peripheral vision up there, and that's no longer the case, so I may well just declare victory at this point.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:40 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 126 Posts

Eddie, do you need any special tools to get the visors removed like a trim piece removal tool?
Old 11-13-2015, 02:07 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jphughan
^ Yeah, upon closer inspection of my visors in outdoor light and from different angles, I can see small areas of residue and just lines of Alcantara that are a bit darker than the rest of the visor area on both of mine. I may try some more alcohol and moderate scrubbing as suggested in the DIY I linked to clean them up a bit more, but given how subtle it is, I may also just leave them alone at this point. As you say, it's still miles better than the stickers. It's not as if I spend much time staring at my visors, certainly not from a variety of angles and lighting, but the warning labels were always in my peripheral vision up there, and that's no longer the case, so I may well just declare victory at this point.
If I were you, that is the route I would take for sure!
I have to admit, I was curious as to what a visor costs, so I went to Suncoast's site
OMG those Alcantara visors cost 1350 a pair!! WTF!!! They have to be kidding me ( mine are vinyl ) If I really wanted to burn that money, I would get the leather ones, as they are the are the same price. I think the vinyl ones are like 275 each !!! That is also nuts !
Originally Posted by vantage
Eddie, do you need any special tools to get the visors removed like a trim piece removal tool?
Not really, just use your fingers, to pop off the cover, that hides the screws where the hinge is. Then use a torx bit to get the 2 screws out.
BUT that wire plug is a PITA to remove (it's so tiny and hard to grip to pull apart) I used a micro screwdriver to help pry out one from the other after I got it started
Tips:
Use denatured alcohol (and unless you are a **** nut job like me ) leave them on, and just invert the visor and place the soaked (shop) paper towel on top and cover it with a plastic bag, and wait only 15 mins and that should be long enough to allow the label to be pulled off in one piece (as in the picture )
It will fall apart so just keep pulling
I cleaned it up with some glass plus and the treated the visors with 303
Good luck
Regards
Ed
Also put a big towel on your lap to catch any drips of alcohol
Old 11-13-2015, 02:23 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,768 Likes on 2,363 Posts

i have vinyl. i used exacto blade, steady hand and i used to be a model maker. life of edge, peel at acute angle, came off one piece.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:08 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
i have vinyl. i used exacto blade, steady hand and i used to be a model maker. life of edge, peel at acute angle, came off one piece.
Large cantolopes !!!
You could be a surgeon ..
All kidding aside, I couldn't even find an edge
Did it still leave an impression..?
One of mine did the other was almost completely undetectable
Old 11-13-2015, 12:41 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 562 Likes on 276 Posts

Isn't it illegal to remove this label like the label on the mattress?
Old 11-13-2015, 12:45 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by user1029
Yes lol
That's why I do it
I like to live dangerously
Old 07-17-2016, 01:29 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by user1029

The mattress label police are on their way to your home now.

Quick Reply: Alcantara Sun Visors - Easy Airbag Warning Label Removal