Sponsored by: APR

Did you know? Tips and tricks.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 03:23 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
On the PCM issue, I just read a suggested workaround which should work for anybody who doesn't use the AUX (headphone jack) input. I had initially disabled that input since I knew I'd never use it, but from what I've read (no chance to test it at the moment), it seems that if you keep it enabled and select it, PCM will return to that source when you next start the car, so you would essentially get silence while still having PCM running. In my case, I use AUX BT, but since that doesn't connect immediately when PCM starts, I end up with the radio starting, so I'm hoping that the reason for that is that that was the previous source I used before selecting AUX BT, and since that source is still available, PCM goes for that. And if so, theoretically by selecting AUX and then switching to the AUX BT input I actually want, when I return to the car later it will revert to the silent AUX input rather than the radio. Fingers crossed!
Ok, tried this on my own car and it's a no-go. If AUX was the input selected when the car was turned off, it will be selected when the car is turned back on. However, if I select AUX, then switch to AUX BT and turn the car off with AUX BT still active, then it will once again switch back to the radio when the car is turned back on, not AUX.

Note that I did not have anything connected to the AUX jack because I'm not going to park a device in there permanently purely to deal with this, but having nothing connected didn't stop me from selecting the AUX input.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:29 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Ok, tried this on my own car and it's a no-go. If AUX was the input selected when the car was turned off, it will be selected when the car is turned back on. However, if I select AUX, then switch to AUX BT and turn the car off with AUX BT still active, then it will once again switch back to the radio when the car is turned back on, not AUX.

Note that I did not have anything connected to the AUX jack because I'm not going to park a device in there permanently purely to deal with this, but having nothing connected didn't stop me from selecting the AUX input.
Thanks. I take it AUX BT is a feature of the sound system plus or Nav head unit? I have the base PCM with the 1/8" analog input jack and no USB. I only see Bluetooth for the phone on the small LCD display on the right dial in the dash.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:03 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by PistolPete
Thanks. I take it AUX BT is a feature of the sound system plus or Nav head unit? I have the base PCM with the 1/8" analog input jack and no USB. I only see Bluetooth for the phone on the small LCD display on the right dial in the dash.
Correct, Bluetooth Audio and USB are included with both CDR+ and PCM; Sound Package Plus is technically just a speaker upgrade, not a head unit and connectivity upgrade. Base PCM only has Bluetooth for calls.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:48 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Um. That little slit in the door just behind where your elbow will hit? It's not for a CD. Pull it toward the inside of the car and it expands on a hinge and ha enough space for sunglasses and such. Keeps things out prying eyes from the outside but a nice little place for your EDC or toll pass or whatever. I screamed out loud when I figured this out. Maybe it's a normal pcar feature but I was very happy to discover this one.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:06 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,377 Likes on 836 Posts

[rant]
Got another tip I just figured out. Porsche only has 1 PCM in this car. The rest are CDRs that function like basic radios with a frequency band selection and some inputs. But I haven't figured out what they manage. Maybe someone here can figure that out and post the management side of those radios and post it. Maybe my idea of management is something different and not like the teenage assistant manager at a fast food place - you know, like the one with a title but no authority to do anything.
[/rant]

Old 11-10-2015, 09:55 PM
soupy
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 23 Posts

Some oldies that most people probably already know:

-In the frunk toolkit, there's a little wrench that let's you unlock through a hole connected to the headlight assembly so you can remove your headlamps completely (after disconnecting the power cable).

-Within that same toolkit container, there is a little slot cut into the foam that's designed to fit the OEM wheel lock key socket perfectly.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:10 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by soupy
-Within that same toolkit container, there is a little slot cut into the foam that's designed to fit the OEM wheel lock key socket perfectly.
The GT4 has wheel locks from the factory?
Old 11-10-2015, 10:34 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
The GT4 has wheel locks from the factory?
No, just a slot for the key if you buy the locks later.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:34 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
One thing I need to figure out is how to get to the engine. That info is not in the manual. I have never owned a mid engine set up before,only 911s.
You can't just pull up a cover back there,it seems the carpet is tucked in.

Tip : those round ***** in the back give you access to your engine oil and coolant fill.
Here ya go http://caymanregister.org/showthread.php?t=33245
You will have to register but its pretty simple ...
Had to pull mine off for the commie state I live in to show the car ( a brand new car ) was smog certified
Regards
Ed
Edit
Also be careful when pulling the panels off ( you really don't need a pry tool set ) I bought one for HF but didn't need it.
Just pull the panels off carefully with your hands and be careful to not loose the little interior caps ( ask me how I know )( they look like little witches hat ) that are on the finger like pins that go into the car itself... I have pictures if you even need to get in there ...

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; 11-10-2015 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:13 AM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Probably common knowledge but a light pull up or down on the turn signal lever will give 3 flashes of the turn signal before stopping on its own (good for quick lane changes).
Old 11-11-2015, 01:03 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Here ya go http://caymanregister.org/showthread.php?t=33245 You will have to register but its pretty simple ... Had to pull mine off for the commie state I live in to show the car ( a brand new car ) was smog certified Regards Ed Edit Also be careful when pulling the panels off ( you really don't need a pry tool set ) I bought one for HF but didn't need it. Just pull the panels off carefully with your hands and be careful to not loose the little interior caps ( ask me how I know )( they look like little witches hat ) that are on the finger like pins that go into the car itself... I have pictures if you even need to get in there ...
Thanks Eddie!
Old 11-11-2015, 02:51 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 555 Posts

best thread ever
Old 11-11-2015, 06:17 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by sonorous

Does this help? It is the best I can do in a few minutes with PPT CAD. The curse of being an engineer...

In this diagram, what direction is the car going? Who cares the result is the same.

But if you are applying brakes, or applying gas at the same time then the suspension will either compress or lift thus changing the clearance gap. This is your answer!

BTW, Old technique for those with lowered cars is (thought everyone knew this) when you approach a speed bump never apply the brakes, if anything give it power!

Cheers,
Engineer GAZZ.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:39 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by GAZZ
In this diagram, what direction is the car going? Who cares the result is the same.

But if you are applying brakes, or applying gas at the same time then the suspension will either compress or lift thus changing the clearance gap. This is your answer!

BTW, Old technique for those with lowered cars is (thought everyone knew this) when you approach a speed bump never apply the brakes, if anything give it power!

Cheers,
Engineer GAZZ.
True -- and a newer technique on lowered cars is to set the suspension to its firmest setting prior to these types of bumps to minimize travel.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:20 PM
Mr. F1 Fan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sonorous

Does this help? It is the best I can do in a few minutes with PPT CAD. The curse of being an engineer...

That's exceptional, ha! I was just being funny, so I hope you didn't burn too much time on that! I totally got it. I drive all sorts of stuff and that same logic applies to trucks and the like. I'm not a geometrist (ha!... again), but appreciate a good engineering explanation for anything! ......my family could care less.
....nevertheless a good tip and one that works, even though some may decent.

Quick Reply: Did you know? Tips and tricks.