Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR
View Poll Results: Glad you got Sport Chrono on your GT4?
Yes, I love it
33.33%
No, I wouldn't bother again
27.78%
Meh: I'm kinda indifferent (but that clock is pretty...)
38.89%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

If you got Sport Chrono, would you get it again?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 12:22 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 641 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
Poor mans version. Works in any car and no GPS or set up needed. Plus you save$1800. Used it Saturday at the track works great. ..Carl
Carl--You never cease to amaze me with your clever and resourceful ideas! (You may not remember me from my RL name, but we spoke last June and you shared with me your brilliant rationale for getting another Cayman--GT4 this time--in RY color.)
Old 11-05-2015, 01:10 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisFL
But if it doesn't add things like throttle and brake application, wouldn't something like a SmartyCam HD be better?
It has throttle position, brake pressure, steering angle, lateral and longitudinal accelerations, wheel slip front and rear axle, over and and understeer, tire pressures, speed, line, gear, revs, delta T... Some of that is tough to get with most aftermarket systems...
Old 11-05-2015, 01:17 PM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
It has throttle position, brake pressure, steering angle, lateral and longitudinal accelerations, wheel slip front and rear axle, over and and understeer, tire pressures, speed, line, gear, revs, delta T... Some of that is tough to get with most aftermarket systems...
Interesting, can you share some screen shots of the data you pulled? Why is it useless to some and not to others for the track?
Old 11-05-2015, 01:25 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

on gt4 spt chrono to me has zero functional value

i saw a gt4 on dealer lot awaiting delivery with std plastic dash and no chrono - it looked quite cheap and barren to me

they put the hazard button between the 2 center air vents on non chrono cars, that looks ok but the clock there looks much nicer to my eye (and is nicely integrated, in contrast to 997 cars where it is the classic dash tumor/wart look)

i plan to keep mine for some time and given the (relatively) low cost option of spec-ing a leather dash with contrast stitch, i went for chrono too...probably wouldn't get money back on resale but it'll be a nicer place to spend time
Old 11-05-2015, 01:28 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 101 Posts

Doesn't it rev match and blip the throttle on downshifts too? That's why I ordered it - never could master heel and toe, especially mid corner.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:29 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisFL
IWhy is it useless to some and not to others for the track?
The biggest issue was probably that many software versions had bugs, but I've had a pretty good run. Some other guys are probably also less into data? I'm not saying it's the greatest thing ever or that you can't get the info other ways, just that I'm finding it decent and useful...

Nur93 has posted a bunch of pics on his thread (in German, but):
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/8723...at-car-14.html

Originally Posted by Carcam
Doesn't it rev match and blip the throttle on downshifts too? That's why I ordered it - never could master heel and toe, especially mid corner.
Rev match comes standard on all GT4s, just press the sport button.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:29 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 88 Posts

Nope. Comes standard on the GT4.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:35 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

throttle blip downshift feature independent of spt chrono option on gt4... it is in every gt4 regardless of spec
Old 11-05-2015, 01:43 PM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
The biggest issue was probably that many software versions had bugs, but I've had a pretty good run. Some other guys are probably also less into data? I'm not saying it's the greatest thing ever or that you can't get the info other ways, just that I'm finding it decent and useful...

Nur93 has posted a bunch of pics on his thread (in German, but):
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/8723...at-car-14.html

Rev match comes standard on all GT4s, just press the sport button.
I like that app. Well I guess Ill keep my config. Now just thinking about $2500 for red thread.....
Old 11-05-2015, 02:13 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
Poor mans version. Works in any car and no GPS or set up needed. Plus you save$1800.
Used it Saturday at the track works great. ..Carl
Wow, the aero package on the GT4 works well enough for you to drive upside down!!!! That's cool as hell.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:20 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 101 Posts

You guys just saved me $2000! Gotta love Rennlist

Last edited by Carcam; 11-05-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:40 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

You guys just saved me $2000! Gotta love Rennlist
Or, so you think ....
You,... empty dash-man
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2015, 10:03 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Got it and like it. No worries for resale because this car is for me. Cannot configure a car for next owner. Not liking the red LED unlock door thingy next to it at night. May need to color it with a blackgic marker.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:37 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

totaly Love the app, so instant, so sweet data. Would never buy a GT car if not app in it. Heck i am considering a no show on My m4gts as its not coming with Porsche app:-) might go 991 gt3 R with app instead. But that due to I would never go a lap around any track if I was not datalogging. I kind of like datalogging, i lern how to drive that way, and lern other. Could not care less what the next guy after me would like to have in his used car. I spec my cars for me. The acually clock or what not, no need for me, but It kind of came with the app so to speek. Would even pay this money only for app, no need for clock.

By the way, I could mention I exported app data in csv.(comma separated value) format and have the raw film from iTunes overlayed. No problems at all, this is what happens automaticaly in app. As well you can do that externaly if you think its importent to upload to youtube.

Last edited by Nur93; 11-06-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:40 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Nur93
totaly Love the app, so instant, so sweet data. Would never buy a GT car if not app in it. Could not care less what the next guy after me would like to have in his used car. I spec my cars for me. The acually clock or what not, no need for me, but It kind of came with the app so to speek. Would even pay this money only for app, no need for clock.

By the way, I could mention I exported app data in csv.(comma separated value) format and have the raw film from iTunes overlayed. No problems at all, this is what happens automaticaly in app. As well you can do that externaly if you think its importent to upload to youtube.
LOL
I am in awe of your technical prowess !!!
When I finally get this car to the track
I will be need your help BADLY

Quick Reply: If you got Sport Chrono, would you get it again?