Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Xpel Headlight delamination issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 01:56 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Just talked to the installer at my dealer. Asked for the full front Xpel kit without any film on the headlights. Right move?
Old 10-12-2015, 02:09 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Just talked to the installer at my dealer. Asked for the full front Xpel kit without any film on the headlights. Right move?
I think it's one of the 'right' moves. Can't fault you. Just stay a reasonable distance from other cars on the highway and put some temporary protection on (paintable, spray, or tape) if tracking.

The other 'right' move IMO is using Xpel and worrying about (possible) delamination in 10 years, in the meantime enjoying protected headlights.

Either one is a good move, so yes, you're making the right move.

Good luck with your film install!!
Old 11-13-2015, 04:31 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well contrary to my plan, after talking to my clear bra installer I opted to get the headlamps covered. He was part of the team that developed Suntek and he's installed clear bra on almost 13,000 (!!) cars. He had a CGT in his shop when I arrived, another one had just left, and next week he's getting two 918s and a new RS. He was very familiar with the delamination issue and encountered it personally on a 991 once, but he said he's done tons more and all of the others have gone just fine, and also that the less arched shape of the 981 headlamp makes it much easier to avoid any delamination issues during installation. He did however absolutely agree that the headlamp would delaminate if the clear bra were removed later, but I figure the only reason I'd remove it would be to replace/upgrade the bra several years from now, and I figure by that time if I don't clear bra them now, I'd probably decide to replace the headlamps anyway due to damage. As for the heat entrapment issue, he said the only time he'd even heard of that was on C6 Vettes when some crazy thick 40 mil film was used, a combination which trapped enough heat to crack the lenses. But modern film is much thinner, and he's never seen any similar issues with those films on any of the wide range of cars he's worked with.

So largely based on confidence in my installer, I'm going to take the plunge. I'll let everyone know how it turns out, but I probably won't have the car back until late Tuesday. My original booking had been all day Wednesday, but that became inconvenient, so now my installer is going to work on my car alongside others from now through Tuesday instead. Fingers crossed!
Old 11-13-2015, 04:40 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

FWIW, I also got headlights covered. The installer I trust recommended it and he did a flawless job.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:40 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
I agree with all that has been said so far
With one exception
Actually two
One I am using 3M pro
Two my installer is absolutely convinced that its the removal process that will cause the headlight to de-laminate.[ i.e. who and how it is removed.]
I am doing mine, as he has convince me that he has yet to have an issue, ever!
I believe him
Regards
Ed
Originally Posted by jphughan
Well contrary to my plan, after talking to my clear bra installer I opted to get the headlamps covered. He was part of the team that developed Suntek and he's installed clear bra on almost 13,000 (!!) cars. He had a CGT in his shop when I arrived, another one had just left, and next week he's getting two 918s and a new RS. He was very familiar with the delamination issue and encountered it personally on a 991 once, but he said he's done tons more and all of the others have gone just fine, and also that the less arched shape of the 981 headlamp makes it much easier to avoid any delamination issues during installation. He did however absolutely agree that the headlamp would delaminate if the clear bra were removed later, but I figure the only reason I'd remove it would be to replace/upgrade the bra several years from now, and I figure by that time if I don't clear bra them now, I'd probably decide to replace the headlamps anyway due to damage. As for the heat entrapment issue, he said the only time he'd even heard of that was on C6 Vettes when some crazy thick 40 mil film was used, a combination which trapped enough heat to crack the lenses. But modern film is much thinner, and he's never seen any similar issues with those films on any of the wide range of cars he's worked with.

So largely based on confidence in my installer, I'm going to take the plunge. I'll let everyone know how it turns out, but I probably won't have the car back until late Tuesday. My original booking had been all day Wednesday, but that became inconvenient, so now my installer is going to work on my car alongside others from now through Tuesday instead. Fingers crossed!
Originally Posted by sunnyr
FWIW, I also got headlights covered. The installer I trust recommended it and he did a flawless job.
I knew you guys would come around
Old 11-13-2015, 11:48 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,174 Likes on 626 Posts

You know if you have the PDLS plus steering lights they are $6,025 each!carl
Old 11-13-2015, 11:55 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4carl
You know if you have the PDLS steering lights they are $6,025 each!carl
LOL
I know they are very expensive ... but not that ???
Old 11-14-2015, 12:00 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,174 Likes on 626 Posts

LOL
I know they are very expensive ... but not that ???
That's the cost I got from Jim Ellis Porsche when I tore off a piece of coating on my 14CS I had. I actually read them the part number off the light. Mine wernt the standard light they were the auto steering ect. Carl
Old 11-14-2015, 12:07 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4carl
That's the cost I got from Jim Ellis Porsche when I tore off a piece of coating on my 14CS I had. I actually read them the part number off the light. Mine wernt the standard light they were the auto steering ect. Carl
OMG that is insane !!
Well I hope my installer was right ...
I am guessing he is. He has been around for a long time and told me he would guaranty them ...
We will see, or hopefully, not
Best regards
Ed
Old 11-14-2015, 12:16 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I've owned numerous sports cars over 30 years and I've never once had any damage whatsoever to a headlight. Not sure people feel such a need to put film over them. Are you guys really damaging headlights? We've owned a fleet of cars over the decades and zero headlight damage on any of them. Why risk spending thousands due to delamination?
Old 11-14-2015, 12:18 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I've owned numerous sports cars over 30 years and I've never once had any damage whatsoever to a headlight. Not sure people feel such a need to put film over them. Are you guys really damaging headlights? We've owned a fleet of cars over the decades and zero headlight damage on any of them. Why risk spending thousands due to delamination?
At the track, lamps can get pitted pretty seriously, and even if you somehow dodge that, any headlamp is going to turn yellow and cloudy over the years due to oxidation.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:49 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
At the track, lamps can get pitted pretty seriously, and even if you somehow dodge that, any headlamp is going to turn yellow and cloudy over the years due to oxidation.
I get the track thing, though wouldn't blue painters tape be a hell of a lot cheaper? Just seems odd to risk delaminatng two ridiculously expensive headlamps to protect two ridiculously expensive headlamps, particularly given the fact that most owners are going to sell their cars long before they yellow.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:59 AM
jphughan
Drifting

I get the track thing, though wouldn't blue painters tape be a hell of a lot cheaper? Just seems odd to risk delaminatng two ridiculously expensive headlamps to protect two ridiculously expensive headlamps, particularly given the fact that most owners are going to sell their cars long before they yellow.
Painter's tape isn't thick enough to protect against most projectiles, but yes it's better than nothing. True on many owners selling before yellowing is an issue, but (and I say this fully conscious that thus far none of my long-term car plans have come to fruition) I for one think I'll be keeping this car long-term, especially if the next GT4 is turbo or hybrid. But I know what you mean about the risk and shared your view until this afternoon. I guess this installer just really impressed and reassured me.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:09 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

I know it sounds a little OCD
But my last Porsche had a windshield that looked like a Galaxy after tracking it. Oh, and I still have that car 27+ yrs later ( no selling here)
Also, I had my GT 4 only 10 mins, when I was driving home from the
dealer, with my brand new car, and a rock came up a cracked my windshield
That's why I cover everything and I mean everything
Old 11-14-2015, 02:25 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know it sounds a little OCD
But my last Porsche had a windshield that looked like a Galaxy after tracking it. Oh, and I still have that car 27+ yrs later ( no selling here)
Also, I had my GT 4 only 10 mins, when I was driving home from the
dealer, with my brand new car, and a rock came up a cracked my windshield
That's why I cover everything and I mean everything
Eddie, I think you will be fine.
I had Xpel on my 2005 Boxster headlights and just sold it a month ago and the headlights looked and functioned like new.
I tend to keep my cars a long time and think I will also roll the dice and put it on my GT4.
I can't stand the look of pitted, cloudy, yellow headlights.

Quick Reply: Xpel Headlight delamination issue