Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR
View Poll Results: Trade/sell 2010 911 Turbo 6 sp for GT4?
Of course!
50.00%
Hell no!
25.00%
Maybe, if...
25.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Opinion on possible sale/trade for GT4

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 10:00 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Opinion on possible sale/trade for GT4

I realize I'm on the GT4 forum, but would like as many objective opinions as possible.

I have a 2010 997 Turbo with the SSK 6-sp manual. It's got 500hp and is a wonderful driving machine. The main thing it lacks is a powerful-sounding exhaust; beyond that I've got no complaints. It's a nice mix of new school conveniences and old-school shifting and power.

The GT4 really sings to me however...It's less convenient (it's incredible how versatile and useful a 911 is), doesn't have AWD (I've driven the Turbo to Vermont in the middle of January with its winter rims/tires), and is less powerful. Maybe I just answered my own question, but I love the sound and driver-oriented old-school feel with the modern conveniences of the GT4. In that regard it's not much different than my '10 Turbo.

Would you sell/trade the Turbo for your GT4? I really dream of a GT3, but financially it's too much of a stretch and the PDK is a turnoff for me at this point in my life.

This is mainly about enjoying the car and having FUN; I'm less concerned with the possible value retention of either car as its unlikely I'll have them more than 5-10 years anyway, but who knows. Unlike some friends I have, I've never made money on a car and tend to make questionable financial decisions when it comes to my hobbies, so take that for what it's worth.

The one negative thing you hear and read about the GT4 is its long gearing; the turbo with its low-end grunt, is plenty fun in town. Does your GT4 bring it in daily driving too?

I'd love to hear your honest feelings. Assuming I can get a GT4 in the next year or so, would you do it?
Old 09-04-2015, 11:31 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

The GT4 is going to very slow compared to the turbo around town. Drive a Cayman S before you make the decision, the 4 is incrementally faster - but not even on the same planet as the turbo.

But if you want noise, fun, playfullness, responsiveness - the GT will feel better.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:01 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,064 Likes on 390 Posts

I think it would be hard to take that big of a step down in power. I'd suggest driving a 997 GT3 maybe instead. Same price range but noticeably more power.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:22 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

I found them to be more similar (GT4, .2RS) than a Turbo to the .2RS.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:09 AM
RussellNYC
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I owned an '09 turbo which was lightning quick but considerably slower than your '10. My .2 GT3 feels slow relative to it. My GT4 feels slow relative to the GT3, so by transitive properties, you will feel like the GT4 is very slow.

That said, it's much louder and more nimble than the turbo, and somewhat less comfortable. If you're bored by the turbo's genteel manners and easy ability to reach insane speed without a downshift (like I was), you'll enjoy the change to a simpler, more direct but slower car. But prepare for disappointment if you are a torque junkie.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:15 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RussellNYC
I owned an '09 turbo which was lightning quick but considerably slower than your '10. My .2 GT3 feels slow relative to it. My GT4 feels slow relative to the GT3, so by transitive properties, you will feel like the GT4 is very slow.

That said, it's much louder and more nimble than the turbo, and somewhat less comfortable. If you're bored by the turbo's genteel manners and easy ability to reach insane speed without a downshift (like I was), you'll enjoy the change to a simpler, more direct but slower car. But prepare for disappointment if you are a torque junkie.
600HP can spoil - especially if it's also your tow vehicle.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:19 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

I sold my 2004 Turbo and e30 M3 for the GT4. Loved the torque and power of the Turbo but as the 30 demonstrates, big power isn't the only aspect to an engaging driving experience.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:21 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

For me the GT4 will not be a daily driver, I was thinking maybe it would but after just a short drive on day of delivery I can tell it will not be for me.

If you use your TT as a daily driver and don't plan to spend a lot of time at the track I would keep the Turbo. GT4 is more of a slot car/track car - it has a lot of road noise in the cabin, rides ok, but not great - for regular street use. I am sure other will disagree but this is my perspective given my past P-cars.

The Turbo offers you a lot of flexibility. For exhaust note for your Turbo I would add Europipe Exhaust - Stef is the best to deal with and they make some amazing exhaust - not the lightest, but one of the best sounding, never throws CEL's and are really works of art when you get them.

For a daily driver I would keep your turbo and add Europipe or other exhaust that you find good to your ears.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:38 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,399 Likes on 642 Posts

I think you should just get an exhaust for your TT.

as others have said taking a 100+hp step downwards on a daily driver is really noticeable.

there is a lot you can do to the cayman drivetrain to make it more entertaining but is not as flexible or programmable as a TT since it's NA.

The best blend of raucous noises and nimble handling prowess is of course the GT3 cars of various vintages. I think 100k spent on a GT3 or GT4 is good money but with the manual transmission 2007-2011 GT3 cars you really have all the kinks worked out and they have the single best gearbox (IMO) of any porsche ever.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:28 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I say keep your Turbo and get a nice exhaust or trade for a 997.2 GT3. If you are concerned about power and low end grunt then the GT4 will not be enough for you.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:35 AM
rlaszlo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on possible sale/trade for GT4

I suggest you drive the GT4 or a Cayman GTS to help you decide, I currently own a GTS and an 09 Turbo the cars have different power delivery and driving experience the GTS is more linear better sound and handling on the street and the track favors the Cayman. the Turbo is a great GT car for the street. IMO power will not be an issue lower weight better balance favors the Cayman. Also I expect my GT4 when it gets here in October to be an even better car.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:35 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't get this really...

what's the point of having a big powerful turbo when your highway speed limit is 70mph and you have to constantly worry that your V1 is up to scratch and this cat and mouse game with the cops. I'd rather get a miata or FRS and wring the hell out of them for the road.

I do get the prestige thing of course but as an enthusiast i'd rather save my $$ for track fun/cars which would rule out 911 turbos due to cost/weight reasons. Why ruin a 997 turbo by modifying it, get a proper weapon and enjoy the best of both worlds.... And let's face it, it ain't that pretty

one more thing, the turbo isn't really an investment decision either....... better to get a Gt3 for that or better still an RS.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:28 AM
Smoltz
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You don't really say what the turbo is lacking for you. Also, looks like you moved from a C4s to the turbo... why? Do you track your car? Do you feel that the turbo lacks drama and that you're looking for a more engaging drive? If not, might not be the right car for you.

I think the GT3\4 appeal to some people because of the rarity, but dollar for dollar, it is isn't the all arounder that your 997TT is, it's not supposed to be.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:15 AM
RussellNYC
Advanced

Agree with what others have said, although whether you go GT3, GT4, or Turbo depends on what's most important to you. I was inches away from buying two different 997.1 turbos last month before ending up with the GT4. They serve different functions, but as a 4 seasons daily driver and long distance tourer, the Turbo cant be beaten. I drove my '09 ear round and put 40k silky miles on it in 3 years.

As @khooni says, I was eventually frustrated by the car's superfluous amounts of speed -- merging onto the highway almost inevitably involved hard braking because I'd get up to extralegal speeds in a few seconds without even trying. On the highway, I had to set the speed alarm to keep from getting into the triple digits all the time. Then laser shifters and radar detectors, etc. it seemed silly, especially because he logical conclusion of the car was autobahn rather than racetrack. So I became fixated on the GT cars and realized I'd be happy compromising comfort for experience.

When I came back to wanting to buy one this year, it was to replace my 4 season commuter B8 S4. I figured if it wasn't sitting in the sports car slot in my garage, I wouldn't mind driving it in a mostly leisurely way without getting frustrated.

I had come from an Elise, where experience was more important than speed, and that lesson taught me to appreciate slower but more "emotional" (as Porsche calls it) cars. And of course mid engined cars. I had owned Elise when I was a much less experienced driver, and now I think I can exploit the advanced handling limits of the Cayman much better.

Anyway, as I said, depends on what you're looking for. Don't forget also that the turbo is roomier -- these back seats can hold plenty of stuff or even a person in a pinch, but the Cayman is definitely a 1+1 car at most. I was reading the manual last night and saw that the max cargo + passenger loadout is 400 lbs! That means two 200 lb men in the car leaves no capacity for luggage. Fortunately, my wife is small....
Old 09-05-2015, 10:26 AM
RussellNYC
Advanced

Oh, last thing, RE modern conveniences, yes, the 981s internal displays (dash mounted map readout, etc) and Bluetooth audio, track apps, etc. are cool compared to PCM 3 and I'd have missed that. Still, they pale in comparison to Audi and BMW electronics.

I was looking into aftermarket for the 997 and the options are kind of bad.

Quick Reply: Opinion on possible sale/trade for GT4