Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR
View Poll Results: Trade/sell 2010 911 Turbo 6 sp for GT4?
Of course!
50.00%
Hell no!
25.00%
Maybe, if...
25.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Opinion on possible sale/trade for GT4

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 12:07 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I really appreciate the frank and honest opinions...I'm not a "torque junkie", but it's nice having the power and the car, as mentioned above, is an amazingly versatile and useful machine. I'll drive a Cayman S or GTS with a manual and see...maybe I'm just getting too used to the turbo (a real problem, I know) and feel the need for something more raucous...

It's a strange and embarrassing feeling to get the car I've been pining for since age 12, then realize that it's a special car, but just a car...as every other material object is just that...you accommodate to what you have, then realize there's more out there, so that peak isn't reachable. We're all super lucky to have these choices, and it's best to be happy with what you have...

I'll stop the existential and philosophical BS, drive the Cayman, then make a decision. There is no bad or wrong choice.

Again--thanks for your thoughts and keep them coming
Old 09-05-2015, 03:11 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by docfink
I really appreciate the frank and honest opinions...I'm not a "torque junkie", but it's nice having the power and the car, as mentioned above, is an amazingly versatile and useful machine. I'll drive a Cayman S or GTS with a manual and see...maybe I'm just getting too used to the turbo (a real problem, I know) and feel the need for something more raucous...

It's a strange and embarrassing feeling to get the car I've been pining for since age 12, then realize that it's a special car, but just a car...as every other material object is just that...you accommodate to what you have, then realize there's more out there, so that peak isn't reachable. We're all super lucky to have these choices, and it's best to be happy with what you have...

I'll stop the existential and philosophical BS, drive the Cayman, then make a decision. There is no bad or wrong choice.

For what it's worth your quandary is to be expected. No matter how nice a car you own, there's always at least one thing or another that disappoints you, and so the search goes on for that "perfect car" which of course does not exist. Unless you are a track junkie, I expect that you'll prefer your turbo to the GT4. As others have pointed out, your disappointment with the turbo's exhaust sound can be easily corrected. There are lots of custom exhaust systems that are relatively inexpensive to install.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:58 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I think it would be hard to take that big of a step down in power. I'd suggest driving a 997 GT3 maybe instead. Same price range but noticeably more power.
I disagree. My recently sold 996 TT had a tune and was putting out probably around 500hp. I test drove my SA's new Cayman S with sport exhaust. I immediately knew that I'd be happy with the reduced power going to the Spyder which I now have on order. It sounds as though the OP has similar desires as mine in terms of his sports car expectations. Although the acceleration of a 911 TT is amazing, I'm more interested in other aspects of the driving experience, and the 375 hp Spyder will be plenty fast for me.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:05 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
There are lots of custom exhaust systems that are relatively inexpensive to install.
I had one of the best custom exhausts (Fabspeed) on my 996 TT, and it did make a huge difference in terms of engine music. Having said that, the sound from the 2015 Cayman S I drove with the factory sports exhaust was way nicer IMO. I think that no matter what you do in terms of an exhaust, the turbo charged engine will never sound as good as a NA engine. I'm trying to get one of those new GT350's in large part because of that 8800 rpm flat crank V8 engine sound.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:59 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default That Mustang engine is impressive...

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I had one of the best custom exhausts (Fabspeed) on my 996 TT, and it did make a huge difference in terms of engine music. Having said that, the sound from the 2015 Cayman S I drove with the factory sports exhaust was way nicer IMO. I think that no matter what you do in terms of an exhaust, the turbo charged engine will never sound as good as a NA engine. I'm trying to get one of those new GT350's in large part because of that 8800 rpm flat crank V8 engine sound.
I've actually considered that GT350 or GT350R too, solely because of that engine. The sound is nearly as important as the feel. My previous '06 911 C4S with the powerkit sounded like a buzzsaw at WOT, and I can't recall it feeling that much slower than the newer turbo I now have. The sound made me feel as if it was faster than it was.

That being said, I was with my oldest today and I put my foot down in second gear and his eyes almost popped out of his head. The power rush once those turbos kick in is roller-coaster like.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:47 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately turbos sound similar to a Dyson vacuum.
Just kidding, but the turbos do quiet down the exhaust too much in my book.
I've test driven both the 997 and newer turbos and also the Cayman GTS and Carrera S with sport exhaust, and both sounded much better than the turbos.
The turbos didn't get the blood flowing, just too darn quiet, with stock exhaust.
Now the new Mustang sounds amazing.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:45 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Did you just said the power rush like roller coaster? Hahah, you sure will miss the roller coaster when you drive the GT4. You also have a very rare 6speed Turbo, I would add the exhaust and keep it, wait a couple years and ADD a GT4 to your line up. For me I would trade my 997TT MT for any 997.1 GT3 or GT4, but I am adding the GT4 to my garage when I can get my hand on it. Good luck and DONT DO IT
Old 09-06-2015, 05:56 PM
sliollio
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had an 09 Turbo (6 speed). Got it tuned and a tubi exhaust installed on it. I think it was producing around 580 hp on a hot day. But I agree with you on the stock exhaust note. Quite a let down, even with the exhaust button pushed; after the tubi exhuast... completely different car! I also now have a GT4 but can't compare yet since I'm only at 100 miles and following break in.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:48 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, my GT4 in all the ways everyone knows and I think the engine is great and sounds fabulous.....but.....I'm glad I kept my ZR1 when I need the big thrust fix. The GT4 moves down the road nicely especially at high rpm in 3rd and 4th on up, but it does take a while to wind out the lower gears, relatively speaking. For good acceleration you definitely want to be north of 5,500rpm.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:23 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, my GT4 in all the ways everyone knows and I think the engine is great and sounds fabulous.....but.....I'm glad I kept my ZR1 when I need the big thrust fix. The GT4 moves down the road nicely especially at high rpm in 3rd and 4th on up, but it does take a while to wind out the lower gears, relatively speaking. For good acceleration you definitely want to be north of 5,500rpm.
I agree with Quikag. The GT4 takes a bit to get going. Once in its rev range, the power is good. But under 4,000 rpm does not impress.

It just all depends on what you want with your car. They are both great but very different. Hard accelerating, fast, functional, comfortable daily driver TT vs more "raw", track orientated GT car, which functions best above 5500rpn but is also not so raw that it makes a fun summer time DD as long as your roads aren't too bad.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:25 PM
RussellNYC
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by docfink

I love that you're so open about this, I get the same way. Partly though, I was because when I was a kid, I didn't understand what driving was like, stuff like handling and power delivery and feel. After driving my GT4 over 5k rpm I think I could love it and be happy with it, because it's fast enough to be fast even though it's not bonkers.

Hard to explain, but even though the Turbo is the fastest car I've ever owned, I love the GT3 more, and would choose it all day every day.

The GT4 has yet to earn the top spot. Not sure it ever will, but I definitely might!

The Turbo is crushingly competent, but I don't think I ever fantasizef about it once I owned it. As I sit here tonight in a cab on the way home from dinner, I'm dreaming about tomorrow morning when I get to drive the GT4.

#FirstWorldProblems!

R.

Quick Reply: Opinion on possible sale/trade for GT4