Australian GT4s

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 10:30 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by James88
How much power are you putting down ?
Currently, probably 339whp. I put cats back in as it was a little loud with the GT3 muffler. Dundon say 3-4whp loss between catless and catted.

I did a dyno before and after the recent mods:

Fabspeed race headers, IPD, 82mm TB, with tune to suit - 326.7whp
Dundon race headers, Dundon over axle pipes, Dundon intake runners, Dundon GT3 Quiet Muffler, IPD, 82mm TB with Dundon Pro Tune - 342.3whp

I have looked at some previous videos and compared top speeds.

Wakefield - Car is identical in setup except more camber up front and changed sway bar settings. Same wheel/tyre combo.
Previous PB of 1:05.17 - Top speed 202kmph (according to Harrys with 10hz GPS)
Saturdays PB of 1:04.27 - Top speed 200kmph (VBOX, but also with oil down the straight so slightly hesistant)

Bathurs - Car has changed alot since these 2. Still 19in but gone up to 265s from 245s up front. Also added canards, rear wing riser and gurney lip which should add drag, so the mods have offset the added drag. I can't remember if the car had headers, IPD and TBs back then, can't remember exactly when I did them.
2017 - 2:38 - 250kmph while going under the sign down Conrod (Harrys with 10hz GPS)
2019 - 2:33 - Also 250kmph while going under the sign down Conrod (VBOX)

Overall the gains look to be in corner speed rather than down the straight. I will post some links to the videos a little later so you can take a look.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:45 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks for the info Charlie, still quite impressive keeping up with the big boys and even beating some. Well done
Old 04-28-2019, 10:58 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Thanks for the info Charlie, still quite impressive keeping up with the big boys and even beating some. Well done
Hahah. Thanks mate. There is so much more in it as well. I need to dial myself in as a driver. I am back out at Wakefield in 5 weeks, so hoping to go quicker than all the GT3RSs and even the GT2RS, and will need to find 0.5s to do that.

I will upload a couple of laps of my chasing a 2RS and .2 3RS.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:17 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Charliekay
Hahah. Thanks mate. There is so much more in it as well. I need to dial myself in as a driver. I am back out at Wakefield in 5 weeks, so hoping to go quicker than all the GT3RSs and even the GT2RS, and will need to find 0.5s to do that.

I will upload a couple of laps of my chasing a 2RS and .2 3RS.
So you don't regard yourself as dialed in and you're performing so well. Look out RS's out in front, Charlie's coming after you.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:31 AM
Charliekay
Racer

So you don't regard yourself as dialed in and you're performing so well. Look out RS's out in front, Charlie's coming after you.
Hahah. I regard myself as a capable driver but there is always room to improve as a driver and looking at the data from the weekend, there are a few mistakes (on my PB lap) that would have saved time.

Here is the lap and 3 things I can pick.

T2 - Slight hesitation in overtaking the GT3.
T6 - Cut in too early (costing speed. Vbox says 2/10ths lost here)
T11 - Cut in too early (this was a big one because it is the turn before the straight, which resulted in later acceleration. (Vbox says 6/10ths lost here).

Old 04-29-2019, 10:24 PM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

I have the swift springs and CMS bars. Alignment is believe is the same as yours, though I don't have the exact specs as I have never seen the alignment printout.

Are you going to put a LWFW or new LSD when you do the ratios?

How did your operation go? When will you be back behind the wheel?
Thanks for asking Charlie. Home from hospital now. Op went well and will definitely be back on the track in 6 weeks and hopefully earlier.

The Asco LWFW was an early mod for me. I'm not sure the result is outstanding but the motor does spin up faster and it's still very civilised around town, though a bit noisier in the cabin. As for the LSD, I got a new one with the gearbox replacement and I have never sensed that rear traction out of corners is an issue. They are very easy to test for locking torque; AH should be able to measure if it is worn.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:48 PM
Warwick Morris
Pro

...............Bathurs - Car has changed alot since these 2. Still 19in but gone up to 265s from 245s up front. Also added canards, rear wing riser and gurney lip which should add drag, so the mods have offset the added drag. I can't remember if the car had headers, IPD and TBs back then, can't remember exactly when I did them.
2017 - 2:38 - 250kmph while going under the sign down Conrod (Harrys with 10hz GPS)
2019 - 2:33 - Also 250kmph while going under the sign down Conrod (VBOX)

Overall the gains look to be in corner speed rather than down the straight. I will post some links to the videos a little later so you can take a look.
My fastest Vbox speed last November on Conrod was 263 and 2:27's. We have added 10 rwbhp (342 now) since then when PR solved the X51 heads tune issue so I think it would be settling at 265 now. Which is really fast as my Lambo race car tops out at 267; it hits an aero wall that 520bhp can't get over. Your aero would slow you a tad but I think you'd be surprised with your current setup. Should be circa 260.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:04 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
Thanks for asking Charlie. Home from hospital now. Op went well and will definitely be back on the track in 6 weeks and hopefully earlier.

The Asco LWFW was an early mod for me. I'm not sure the result is outstanding but the motor does spin up faster and it's still very civilised around town, though a bit noisier in the cabin. As for the LSD, I got a new one with the gearbox replacement and I have never sensed that rear traction out of corners is an issue. They are very easy to test for locking torque; AH should be able to measure if it is worn.
I mean't Guards LSD rather than OEM. I got a new LSD also when my 3rd gear went and box was replaced (only August last year).

The GT3 muffler add enough sound that you wouldn't be able to hear much else anyways.

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
My fastest Vbox speed last November on Conrod was 263 and 2:27's. We have added 10 rwbhp (342 now) since then when PR solved the X51 heads tune issue so I think it would be settling at 265 now. Which is really fast as my Lambo race car tops out at 267; it hits an aero wall that 520bhp can't get over. Your aero would slow you a tad but I think you'd be surprised with your current setup. Should be circa 260.
I hit 260 on the nose down Conrod last weekend, but was comparing speeds going under the sign at the top of Conrod (no point comparing top end speed as I was letting off and braking earlier in 2017). Which sounds right.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:51 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

I know people swear by them, but I don't think the Guards will increase traction as it is not issue in my experience. That's just my view. The OEM unit is actually pretty robust and well set up IMO.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:05 PM
Snowman.
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts

I put a guards LSD in mine and it did nothing but annoy me now when I drive in the wet.

I always thought the car lacked drive out of places like Honda at Phillip Island, but the LSD didn't fix that at all. I personally wouldn't bother unless you were totally sure your OEM one was shagged and needed replacing anyways.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:09 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Originally Posted by Snowman.
I put a guards LSD in mine and it did nothing but annoy me now when I drive in the wet.

I always thought the car lacked drive out of places like Honda at Phillip Island, but the LSD didn't fix that at all. I personally wouldn't bother unless you were totally sure your OEM one was shagged and needed replacing anyways.
The OEM one is brand new and probably less than 2000kms on it so doesn't need replacing, but I feel exactly what you describe, hence considering one, but appreciate your reply. I will cross that off the list.

I will wait to see Warwicks feedback on the shorter ratios and if it is worth it I will put a LWFW at the same time.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:21 AM
Dicknose
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charlie - nice lap!
Good to see where Im losing some speed to you. Notably you hold a bit more in turn 2 and the fishhook.
You seem a bit smoother in general than me!! And well lap time is a lot faster than me!

Would love to catch up with the GT4 guys at a track somewhere!
If you ever see a red Spyder - come and say hi!
Old 05-02-2019, 07:06 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Originally Posted by Dicknose
Charlie - nice lap!
Good to see where Im losing some speed to you. Notably you hold a bit more in turn 2 and the fishhook.
You seem a bit smoother in general than me!! And well lap time is a lot faster than me!

Would love to catch up with the GT4 guys at a track somewhere!
If you ever see a red Spyder - come and say hi!
Thanks mate. There are a couple of GT4s that regularly do the Porsche Club NSW Supersprints. Come along to one and have a run.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:46 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for posting Charlie, your blazing fast in that car!
Quick question, I read about your upgrades earlier in the post & wondered about the whp #'s you posted being significantly lower than the #'s/dynos posted by DMS giving info on their headers & runners. I think the dyno they're using has about a 12% drive train loss & the hp's shown are ~ 400 whp
Old 05-02-2019, 10:00 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
Thanks for posting Charlie, your blazing fast in that car!
Quick question, I read about your upgrades earlier in the post & wondered about the whp #'s you posted being significantly lower than the #'s/dynos posted by DMS giving info on their headers & runners. I think the dyno they're using has about a 12% drive train loss & the hp's shown are ~ 400 whp
Absolutely no idea mate. I am putting it down to different dynos, different days. Dyno Dynamics dyno is known as the Heartbreak Dyno.

As a comparison the number is exactly the same (0.1whp difference) to Warwicks GT4 with X51 kit, and 16whp gains over my car before mods. The 16whp difference was with adding the runners and GT3 muffler (headers, IPD, TBs were all on previously).

So it did make gains and is putting out as much power as an X51 car which is supposed to make 30whp over a IPD, TB, Headers and tuned car.

Who knows but the car feels great and is putting down some good times on the track.

Quick Reply: Australian GT4s