Sponsored by: APR

GT4: Michelin vs Dunlop

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 01:01 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Yes, this is from my .2 and yes was/am running Cup2's. Different cars, drivers skill levels, alignments. I provided the data point to underscore that they have great grip and vastly improved longevity.

As far as number of track days, notice the street miles too. Those were not driving Miss Daisy miles either
Ha! If I can get 10K total miles including 8 track days out of mine, I will be ecstatic. I know that's definitely on the optimistic side, but 991 owner impressions are giving me hope, and I'm only mildly aggressive on the road. If tire life falls significantly short of that, I'll look into whether the cost of an additional set of wheels is worth the tire savings, but I kind of doubt it. I have a feeling that I'll wear my tires down on track usage and that the number of track days they'll handle won't be diminished by the street miles I put on, in which case the street miles would essentially be "free" and therefore a separate set of street wheels and tires would only make sense if I find the Cup 2s problematic for other reasons on the street. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2015, 01:03 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Ha! If I can get 10K total miles including 8 track days out of mine, I will be ecstatic. I know that's definitely on the optimistic side, but 991 owner impressions are giving me hope, and I'm only mildly aggressive on the road. If tire life falls significantly short of that, I'll look into whether the cost of an additional set of wheels is worth the tire savings, but I kind of doubt it. I have a feeling that I'll wear my tires down on track usage and that the number of track days they'll handle won't be diminished by the street miles I put on, in which case the street miles would essentially be "free" and therefore a separate set of street wheels and tires would only make sense if I find the Cup 2s problematic for other reasons on the street. Thanks!
On that note has anyone priced another set of GT4 wheels ?
Not that I need to store any more crap here
Old 08-11-2015, 01:06 PM
mm1
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
My thoughts exactly Chris.
On a related topic - seams cold weather storage is a problem for the Michelin Cup 2s as I've seen pics and reports of them cracking in sub-freezing temps and Michelin saying don't store them freezing temperatures. Not a problem here in Florida but would be concern for those way up north. Will your wife let you store them in the spare bedroom? !!!
Agreed here. I didn't realize this was going to be a problem. I had planned to store my GT4 very close to the wall in my garage on the 2+ side, not sure it will be possible if I have to put the car on jacks and store the tires inside.

Seems like a major hassle and maybe I'll switch to Pilot Super Sports from the beginning. Anyone want a set of PSC2s with delivery miles... My other option is I burn through them in 3 months with track time! (all under 4.2k of course )
Old 08-11-2015, 02:10 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,863 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
On that note has anyone priced another set of GT4 wheels ?
Not that I need to store any more crap here
$6k for OEM, in any of the 3 colors:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUGT4BLACK.html
Old 08-11-2015, 03:08 PM
Rich B
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my plan...
Get the car. Drive and track the heck out of it with whatever tires it comes with.
Swap to the other type - Drive and track the heck out of it.
Pick whichever we prefer (or of something new is out there that compares favorably).

The way I figure, it will be great anyway.

Cheers
Rich B.
Expecting my new baby for December...
Old 08-11-2015, 03:11 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mm1
Agreed here. I didn't realize this was going to be a problem. I had planned to store my GT4 very close to the wall in my garage on the 2+ side, not sure it will be possible if I have to put the car on jacks and store the tires inside.

Seems like a major hassle and maybe I'll switch to Pilot Super Sports from the beginning. Anyone want a set of PSC2s with delivery miles... My other option is I burn through them
in 3 months with track time! (all under 4.2k of course )
Hey I might take u up on that!!😄
I am getting the dunlops
Old 08-11-2015, 03:11 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
$6k for OEM, in any of the 3 colors:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUGT4BLACK.html
Thanks bud

Quick Reply: GT4: Michelin vs Dunlop