Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   GT4/Spyder (https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyder-235/)
-   -   GT4: Michelin vs Dunlop (https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyder/885272-gt4-michelin-vs-dunlop.html)

FCH80 07-27-2015 05:35 AM

GT4: Michelin vs Dunlop

Hi Guys

My GT4 is confirmed for a September build and a November delivery, however to my surprise when i went to visit my dealership they were about to deliver one with Dunlop tires instead of Michelin. The sales guy told me that for this specific production month they came all fitted with Dunlop. Personally i prefer Michelin as they are a bit more durable around the track. Are you guys aware of that? as i thought it only comes with Michelin...

Unzki 07-27-2015 06:12 AM

Hi FCH80!

Porsche constantly bids different tire manufacturers (mainly Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop, but also Continental, Yokohama etc) in 3 month cycles. Which ever manufacturer has won the latest bid will deliver the tires for the car(s).

Mine got Dunlops and the second one delivered (to Finland) last week got Michelins. About 1 month in between the deliveries.

I was tracking the car for the first time on Saturday on a relatively small and tight track, weather was +24 celcius degrees (75 Fahrenheit) and I was a bit disappointed on how the tire performed. It has a great grip when warm and is easy to drive but it did not cope with the heat after 5-6 laps. Have not tried Cup2:s yet, but Trofeo R:s did not fade at all on my 997 Turbo which is way heavyer and with lot more power and torque than my GT4.

Hope this helps,

Unzki

FCH80 07-27-2015 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Unzki (Post 12462913)
Hi FCH80!

Porsche constantly bids different tire manufacturers (mainly Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop, but also Continental, Yokohama etc) in 3 month cycles. Which ever manufacturer has won the latest bid will deliver the tires for the car(s).

Mine got Dunlops and the second one delivered (to Finland) last week got Michelins. About 1 month in between the deliveries.

I was tracking the car for the first time on Saturday on a relatively small and tight track, weather was +24 celcius degrees (75 Fahrenheit) and I was a bit disappointed on how the tire performed. It has a great grip when warm and is easy to drive but it did not cope with the heat after 5-6 laps. Have not tried Cup2:s yet, but Trofeo R:s did not fade at all on my 997 Turbo which is way heavyer and with lot more power and torque than my GT4.

Hope this helps,

Unzki

Hi Unzki

Tx for your help! Dunlop gets warmer a bit quicker then Michelins, however they fade quickly and like you said specially when the weather is quite hot. lets wait i see on which cycle i will be :)

sixtosune 07-27-2015 11:04 AM

Im about 3.000km's into a set of fresh Dunlops Sport Maxx Race in my GT3 and find them extremely grippy in all situations I've thrown at them; just as sticky or better than Mich Cups I've had in the past.

My usage has been on ambient temps ranging from 3ºC to 28ºC. Not tracked them yet; but mostly very spirited driving on fast, empty weekend mountain passes.

seapar 07-27-2015 11:10 AM

You'll know what tire is on your car when your dealer sends you the printout of the ship it is on. Just ask your SA.

matttheboatman 07-27-2015 11:21 AM

My GT4 is completed waiting on Euro Delivery next month - the build screen shows they our outfitted with Dunlops. Not my preference. Porsche position on tires is "the car will come with approved tires, both Dunlop and Michelin are approved suppliers".

rickdm 07-27-2015 11:40 AM

First GT4 that I know of to arrive in Dallas last week had the Michelins.

mm1 07-27-2015 12:07 PM

My car that is arriving in 2 weeks has Michelins

e46mike 07-27-2015 12:50 PM

Dunlop was on mine

Bonzai30 07-27-2015 01:21 PM

Champion in South Florida just got their first three GT4s, and I went up there this morning to check them out. Two of them had the Dunlops, and one had the Michelins. I think they all came off of the same ship so I'm not sure why the difference.

NOPDK 07-27-2015 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bonzai30 (Post 12463662)
Champion in South Florida just got their first three GT4s, and I went up there this morning to check them out. Two of them had the Dunlops, and one had the Michelins. I think they all came off of the same ship so I'm not sure why the difference.

Happily my car is the one with Michelins! They screwed me on the LWB but at least I lucked out on the Sport cup 2's...

Dimmu 07-27-2015 02:03 PM

Mine came with Dunlops and I've been giving it hell with 1500km backroads since Monday, so a couple 7+ hour backroads jaunts and the Dunlops have been fine. I may try to cups on it next to see if I notice much, but I can't say the Dunlops have faded much... just grip grip and more grip. I'll see how they do on the track to know for sure.

seapar 07-27-2015 02:36 PM

It is what is on hand during the "just in time " build process.

ChrisF 07-27-2015 02:51 PM

Honestly, if you drive street, you'll never notice the difference. If you drive track, neither will last long enough to matter. ;)

Bonzai30 07-27-2015 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisF (Post 12463891)
Honestly, if you drive street, you'll never notice the difference. If you drive track, neither will last long enough to matter. ;)

On that note, how many track days do you think the tires will last? I know results can vary greatly, but I'm thinking around 6...but that's just a swag.