Sponsored by: APR

Feelin' like an idiot posting this: Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 01:27 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Feelin' like an idiot posting this: Sport Chrono

This goes against every fiber in my being ....
(for numerous reasons not the least of which being the frugal soul that I am
( *disclaimer, severe understatement here ) and going along with that, being practical i.e. buying things that have a technical value along with an aesthetic one.
I just think not getting the Sports Chrono, is going to **** me off down the road
Looking up at that dash and not seeing a clock face in the middle of the dash, will make me think I am missing something ?
I have read the posts from guys in the know on this board, who's opinions I respect, who basically took a dump on the SW ... which I am sure is true ... but I won't be buying it for that ....
I know how crazy is that ...
Is it me? Am I the only one who thinks its missing something on the dash not having it ? Damn 2k is crazy for just looks ( I am going to need some KY jelly with that please sir )
Thoughts before I take the plunge ?
TIA
Regards
Ed
Old 06-03-2015, 01:30 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the same feeling about the dash appearance, to the point that maybe if it was an actual clock rather than just an analog stopwatch, I might get it just for the class factor, despite the ridiculous $2K price, but since I never time myself on a track and if I ever wanted to there are aftermarket solutions that are both better and less expensive for anyone who will own a smartphone anyway, I can't make myself spend the $2K. Stay strong!
Old 06-03-2015, 01:36 PM
Drjimh
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ed
I read all the posts also and I still ordered the sport chrono. I have it on my Cayman R and like the look. My buddy has his Cayman with out the clock and it looks naked to me. So yes I took the KY jelly hit. Call me stupid, but I also like the look. You are not alone!
Jim
Old 06-03-2015, 02:06 PM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man... Only if they offered the stopwatch separately. I would think a lot more people would have taken that option... A LOT more...

I guess Porsche was hoping to get people to fork over the $2K just for the clock, but it seems to have backfired in terms of sheer numbers. And I agree, the watch adds much character to the dash.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:09 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

You can get a decent watch for $2k. And one you can use all the time, not just in the car.
Or a set of tires. Or many other much more useful things.
I'd skip it.

Don't have one in the GT3, don't miss it. Rarely look at the dash - driving is a complex psychomotor skill that demands your attention OUTSIDE the car.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:23 PM
Drjimh
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel the same way about Navigation and upgraded stereo that a lot of guys feel about the sport chrono. We can make arguments each way for these type of options, but what is boils down too is that you are building a car that is an extension of what you like and want. That is the reason for the choices. Porsche will always have you bend over for many things. Build that car that you want!. How often do you get the chance to do something like this with such a high demand and sought after car.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:46 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I too ordered Sport Chrono.

1) My salesman told me that it was a problem with resale on the last car he tried to sell that did not have Sport Chrono. Yes I know it was probably a car where SC added more to the package, and yes I know it was just him trying to get me to "option up" the car but it is still worth considering if resale value is of any concern

2) I assume Porsche will improve the app to the point that is becomes more useful.

Anyway rather than fight it, or worry about it down the road, I just got it. My build locks today.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:52 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 134 Likes on 73 Posts

I hate the wart on the 911. I would happily spend 2k to not get one on the 911. But on the Cayman it looks well integrated and is not an eyesore. Having said that, tough to swallow 2k for a clock.

As for the track app, I thought the latest verdict according to Nur93 in his thread, it is not total crap as long as you use an external GPS device and not the 1HZ one on the iPhone. I haven't read all his posts on the topic in detail, but it sounds like the app might actually be not so bad.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I ordered it for the same reasons as the OP. Just hope for a good day in the market the day the car is paid for.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:07 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
I have the same feeling about the dash appearance, to the point that maybe if it was an actual clock rather than just an analog stopwatch, I might get it just for the class factor, despite the ridiculous $2K price, but since I never time myself on a track and if I ever wanted to there are aftermarket solutions that are both better and less expensive for anyone who will own a smartphone anyway, I can't make myself spend the $2K. Stay strong!
My mind says your 100% correct, but my heart says otherwise
Originally Posted by Drjimh
Ed
I read all the posts also and I still ordered the sport chrono. I have it on my Cayman R and like the look. My buddy has his Cayman with out the clock and it looks naked to me. So yes I took the KY jelly hit. Call me stupid, but I also like the look. You are not alone!
Jim
Misery does enjoy company thanks bud

Originally Posted by csbear
Man... Only if they offered the stopwatch separately. I would think a lot more people would have taken that option... A LOT more...

I guess Porsche was hoping to get people to fork over the $2K just for the clock, but it seems to have backfired in terms of sheer numbers. And I agree, the watch adds much character to the dash.
You are 100% correct
There are few A$$holes like me out there ... Most are intelligently blowing it off...
Turns out in diff mkts SA for one they do offer it as a stop watch for like 500 I would be all over that and I bet most others would be also...?

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
You can get a decent watch for $2k. And one you can use all the time, not just in the car.
Or a set of tires. Or many other much more useful things.
I'd skip it.

Don't have one in the GT3, don't miss it. Rarely look at the dash - driving is a complex psychomotor skill that demands your attention OUTSIDE the car.
Total common sense! can't argue with any of that especially the watch part
$hit on my other car (modified turbo ) I don't even want to look at the AFR and boost gauge, while I am driving because of the distraction it causes...
It's for purely aesthetic reasons...
This will not be a dedicated track car, otherwise I wouldn't even be going here

Originally Posted by Drjimh
I feel the same way about Navigation and upgraded stereo that a lot of guys feel about the sport chrono. We can make arguments each way for these type of options, but what is boils down too is that you are building a car that is an extension of what you like and want. That is the reason for the choices. Porsche will always have you bend over for many things. Build that car that you want!. How often do you get the chance to do something like this with such a high demand and sought after car.
Well that pretty much sums it up ....
Also this is my 2nd new Porsche in 27 yrs ... so its not like I am throwing money around like a drunken sailor on shore leave
Old 06-03-2015, 03:28 PM
Teo
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

I had same doubt.

I'm not going to use the app (as currently is), but I don't like the "no-clock look" of the dash, it looks too poor imho, moreover without the leather dash (that I won't).

But:
if PAG will improve the app, and I don't have?!
if the sport chrono will be a must have for resale?!

At the end, some more USD-EUR won't change too much final cost, so I go with it
Old 06-03-2015, 03:30 PM
rickdm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the clock on my '14 CS and after getting a loaner without the clock I decided I did not like the plain dash. I am also assuming the app will keep getting better. I know $2,000 is a lot of money, but compared to $1,490 to switch from gray to yellow stitching, it is a hell of a bargain ;-)
Old 06-03-2015, 08:37 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

You're not alone, I'm with you.

I think the interior looks much classier with the analog timer there, rather than the plastic piece. I'm a watch fanatic, and I really like the small hash marks and the needle. Correct me if I'm wrong, but unlike my 987.1 CS, these new sport chrono stopwatches actually function as clocks when not in use, right?

I knew, down the line that I would kick myself for saving $2k and it would really bother me every time I either looked at that spot or when I saw one in a review that had it. I don't want to spend 90-95k on this car and have that nagging regret.

As for the app, the beauty of software is it can be updated, so if the software was flawed, I was ok with it potentially being upgraded down the line (although Nur93's thread does show it has value when properly used).

I'm going to spec it.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:39 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I use the G force meter on mine every time I am at the track.

that and i've got a Cayman loaner right now without the chrono and I have now noticed how often I use the chrono to check the time.

get it!
Old 06-03-2015, 10:21 PM
soupy
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 23 Posts

I got it on my GTS and in terms of aesthetics I don't really notice it honestly. What I do notice is the ugly quartz sounding tick-tick-tick whenever the car is unlocked and you step inside. Yes I know you can turn off the clock mode to make it stop ticking but then I feel like I got a broken clock or a stopwatch that can't be removed.

Instead of spending the $2k on that, this time I used the money to make sure I got one of the options that includes a damn USB port (PCM).

Quick Reply: Feelin' like an idiot posting this: Sport Chrono