Feelin' like an idiot posting this: Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 02:15 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Teo
I had same doubt.

I'm not going to use the app (as currently is), but I don't like the "no-clock look" of the dash, it looks too poor imho, moreover without the leather dash (that I won't).

But:
if PAG will improve the app, and I don't have?!
if the sport chrono will be a must have for resale?!

At the end, some more USD-EUR won't change too much final cost, so I go with it
Ditto

Originally Posted by rickdm
I have the clock on my '14 CS and after getting a loaner without the clock I decided I did not like the plain dash. I am also assuming the app will keep getting better. I know $2,000 is a lot of money, but compared to $1,490 to switch from gray to yellow stitching, it is a hell of a bargain ;-)
Ya I will just eat the cost and everytime i look up at that clock face I remember I went all out
Originally Posted by bigkraig
I use the G force meter on mine every time I am at the track.

that and i've got a Cayman loaner right now without the chrono and I have now noticed how often I use the chrono to check the time.

get it!
I am
Originally Posted by soupy
I got it on my GTS and in terms of aesthetics I don't really notice it honestly. What I do notice is the ugly quartz sounding tick-tick-tick whenever the car is unlocked and you step inside. Yes I know you can turn off the clock mode to make it stop ticking but then I feel like I got a broken clock or a stopwatch that can't be removed.

Instead of spending the $2k on that, this time I used the money to make sure I got one of the options that includes a damn USB port (PCM).
I went for the whole PCM with the NAV package so really the only other options of significance were the PCCB .... I upgraded the leather but didn't do silly $hit, like the fuse box and the air vents ... Sadly I didn't have a choice on the LWBS otherwise,I would have gotten them.
Thanks guys
Best regards
Ed
Old 06-04-2015, 02:31 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gmaki
I too ordered Sport Chrono.

1) My salesman told me that it was a problem with resale on the last car he tried to sell that did not have Sport Chrono. Yes I know it was probably a car where SC added more to the package, and yes I know it was just him trying to get me to "option up" the car but it is still worth considering if resale value is of any concern

2) I assume Porsche will improve the app to the point that is becomes more useful.

Anyway rather than fight it, or worry about it down the road, I just got it. My build locks today.
Yea I felt the same way its not every day you drop over 100K on a car ... why not get it the way you want ... Of course using the correct lubricant

Originally Posted by sunnyr
I hate the wart on the 911. I would happily spend 2k to not get one on the 911. But on the Cayman it looks well integrated and is not an eyesore. Having said that, tough to swallow 2k for a clock.

As for the track app, I thought the latest verdict according to Nur93 in his thread, it is not total crap as long as you use an external GPS device and not the 1HZ one on the iPhone. I haven't read all his posts on the topic in detail, but it sounds like the app might actually be not so bad.
yea this would be for the aesthetics.... but they should correct the bugs if one is paying 2K!!!
Old 06-05-2015, 12:13 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

I ordered the very expensive clock as well... Last minute addition.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:47 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 236 Posts

Me too, ordered the clock. It was the only non-essential option I chose.

Refrained from ordering LWBs, CF trim, PCM, 18 way - features I had on my previous Caymans. But, I would definitely miss having the gauge there. FYI have used the manual stop watch on the track - which works just fine with a click of the stalk as a I cross the start/ finish line.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:40 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nacelle
I ordered the very expensive clock as well... Last minute addition.
Another sucker for looks

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Me too, ordered the clock. It was the only non-essential option I chose.

Refrained from ordering LWBs, CF trim, PCM, 18 way - features I had on my previous Caymans. But, I would definitely miss having the gauge there. FYI have used the manual stop watch on the track - which works just fine with a click of the stalk as a I cross the start/ finish line.
Yea I was pretty prudent as well
I splurged on one item other that that ridiculously expensive clock
I went for some painted trim pieces ( not all ) just the minimal amount
and some of the other add-ons that honestly make a lot of sense to order, when your spending 100K+ on a car.....

I guess I should change the topic thread to "Not feelin' like an idiot anymore":
Best regards
Ed
Old 06-06-2015, 12:01 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Another sucker for looks

Yea I was pretty prudent as well
I splurged on one item other that that ridiculously expensive clock
I went for some painted trim pieces ( not all ) just the minimal amount
and some of the other add-ons that honestly make a lot of sense to order, when your spending 100K+ on a car.....

I guess I should change the topic thread to "Not feelin' like an idiot anymore":
Best regards
Ed
LOL.... I have not been prudent...
Old 06-06-2015, 01:48 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nacelle
LOL.... I have not been prudent...
LOL
Well maybe i need to clarfy
I am at 10k + in options (w/o the LWBS ) as couldn't get them
But I can tell you I didn't cover the air vents with leather
Old 06-06-2015, 06:22 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you could go on with options.

Remember this is a gt4. The primary purpose of a GT is driving.

I ordered all the freebies eg smoking, ac, cdr and paid for track stuff ie clubsport pack and splurge on 1 option. Leather.

Was really thinking no ac, no stereo but realised Porsche freebies are not meant to be passed on. You guys agonising over a clock face just means Porsche got this right as they always do
Old 06-06-2015, 11:22 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by khooni
I think you could go on with options.

Remember this is a gt4. The primary purpose of a GT is driving.

I ordered all the freebies eg smoking, ac, cdr and paid for track stuff ie clubsport pack and splurge on 1 option. Leather.

Was really thinking no ac, no stereo but realised Porsche freebies are not meant to be passed on. You guys agonising over a clock face just means Porsche got this right as they always do
Guilty as charged
Old 06-06-2015, 01:57 PM
soupy
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 23 Posts

Sigh, just did one final config revision today at the dealer before it locks next week and threw in the sport chrono. They had a base cayman without it and I sat inside; I guess I felt awkward without having it after getting used to it on my GTS.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:30 PM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soupy
Sigh, just did one final config revision today at the dealer before it locks next week and threw in the sport chrono. They had a base cayman without it and I sat inside; I guess I felt awkward without having it after getting used to it on my GTS.
Oh boy... I'm in the same scenario as you. I've been avoiding the chrono this whole time, but its beauty on the dash haunts me. Without it, it makes that hazard light button oh so bigger. I have until the 11th.

Couple of other options I have:
-CF
-PCM
-18 ways (couldn't get buckets)
-auto climate
-heated seats
Old 06-06-2015, 02:46 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

I've had two 911s before without anything on the dash ... but I do like the look of the chrono on my leather dash in my current C4S.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:33 PM
csbear
Racer

Originally Posted by ezdriver
I've had two 911s before without anything on the dash ... but I do like the look of the chrono on my leather dash in my current C4S.
I liked the first part of your sentence better... But then you got to the 'but' part...
Old 06-06-2015, 04:00 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by csbear
Couple of other options I have:
-CF
-PCM
-18 ways (couldn't get buckets)
-auto climate
-heated seats
CF I'm avoiding because it's still plastic underneath and I found several threads discussing the fact that it delaminates, especially in cars that live in hot climates. It does look great in person though, but I also like the brushed aluminum I have on my M3, so even if it weren't for the delamination, I can't spend $1800 on something I'm not even sure I like better.

I'm getting PCM because I like having a map even if I'm not on a route and don't want the roof wart. The base stereo isn't an option for me since it lacks BT audio streaming and USB, which means no playback control from the head unit or digital audio input.

18-ways I'd get if I couldn't get LWBs mostly for the adjustable bolsters.

Auto climate I'm getting because I hate fiddling with fan controls and such. I much prefer set it and forget it, though if they had 1-zone auto climate control, I'd get that.

Never used heated seats on my first car while I lived in Calfornia and then Texas, so I skipped them on my M3 and have never once wished I had them. Other people seem not to be able to imagine owning a car without them, so maybe it's one of those things that doesn't seem important until after you've enjoyed it, like xenons or a full leather interior. I gather a frequent use case is driving with the windows down while it's very cold out. I guess I've never felt the need to do that.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:01 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Damn what did I start here ??
LOL
Hell its pretty
I should get a commission from the dealers on this one

Quick Reply: Feelin' like an idiot posting this: Sport Chrono