Sponsored by: APR

Feelin' like an idiot posting this: Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 04:23 PM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jphughan
CF I'm avoiding because it's still plastic underneath and I found several threads discussing the fact that it delaminates, especially in cars that live in hot climates. It does look great in person though, but I also like the brushed aluminum I have on my M3, so even if it weren't for the delamination, I can't spend $1800 on something I'm not even sure I like better.

I'm getting PCM because I like having a map even if I'm not on a route and don't want the roof wart. The base stereo isn't an option for me since it lacks BT audio streaming and USB, which means no playback control from the head unit or digital audio input.

18-ways I'd get if I couldn't get LWBs mostly for the adjustable bolsters.

Auto climate I'm getting because I hate fiddling with fan controls and such. I much prefer set it and forget it, though if they had 1-zone auto climate control, I'd get that.

Never used heated seats on my first car while I lived in Calfornia and then Texas, so I skipped them on my M3 and have never once wished I had them. Other people seem not to be able to imagine owning a car without them, so maybe it's one of those things that doesn't seem important until after you've enjoyed it, like xenons or a full leather interior. I gather a frequent use case is driving with the windows down while it's very cold out. I guess I've never felt the need to do that.
Yeah, the delamination part is worrisome, although I am living in Philly right now, so hopefully it'll be ok.

Heated seats will be a boon in Philly fall/winters. It's definitely one of those things you really wished you had when the East coast winter arrives. Stepping out of one's warm home and into sub 30 degree weather for many months is not fun. The last few winters in NJ have been terrible temperature wise. That also makes a case for the auto climate as well. Winter is coming...

Definitely going with PCM because I don't want the roof wart and I want the USB connection...I'm too used to the USB already. Pretty sure PCM is sought after even in a GT car (if we are talking about resale, etc.)

The one option for me if I were to let it go would be CF... Although at this point if I make any adjustments so close to my freeze date, I may just add the chrono anyways, but not remove anything else.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:00 AM
csbear
Racer

My freeze date is in a few days, so I walked around the dealership looking at caymans just in case for any last second changes and inspiration:

The few things I noticed aesthetically:
- The dealer was closed, but there was one guy there checking out cars as well. He left in a Sapphire Blue Cayman S(?) just as I was entering the lot. A good sign for me picking Sapphire Blue, especially because I had never seen SB on a Cayman. I really liked the color compared to my other choice Guards Red which is a great choice nonetheless. White actually went up my list. White looks great with the black accents. SB it is then...

- I wasn't so sure about the Plat Grey stitching at first. It was one area of contention for a long time. I wanted Red or Yellow, but after seeing red interiors many times in P cars, I think the Plat Grey will provide more of a contrast...it will just pop. Doesn't hurt it is cheaper as well.

- Glad I got the CF interior. No matter how many times I see it, it makes any car seem more "updated." Even if it's just a psychological thing...but hey, that's what aesthetics are.

- I caved and got the Sports Chrono
Old 06-08-2015, 08:02 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 772 Posts

I'm in the fence to get the track app. Don't like the clock.

Dealer says they can retrofit the app later for $1200
Old 06-08-2015, 08:58 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

honestly the only reason I got it, was the clock
funny how everyone looks at things a little differently
Old 06-09-2015, 01:55 PM
Love2Apex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I feel like the same village idiot over here too for ordering a $2k "clock" stop-watch thing just for aesthetics! I have a friend with a Cayman S w/o SC, and it to me looks a bit lower rent.

I don't buy many new cars, rarely, although this one really touched me, so I am going all out and at a $109k total as optioned $ tag, I figured why not spend the extra bit to have it exactly as I like?!

Old 06-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mtechnik
Well, I feel like the same village idiot over here too for ordering a $2k "clock" stop-watch thing just for aesthetics! I have a friend with a Cayman S w/o SC, and it to me looks a bit lower rent.

I don't buy many new cars, rarely, although this one really touched me, so I am going all out and at a $109k total as optioned $ tag, I figured why not spend the extra bit to have it exactly as I like?!

LOL same camp but damn you must be getting the LWBS ( Lucky B) to total up that bill ? Unless you ordered every other option under the sun
Old 06-09-2015, 09:09 PM
perretar
Rennlist Member

IMHO, SC is a must have with manual transmission (for the rev matching) optional with PDK
Old 06-09-2015, 09:19 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtechnik

Only way to get your Porsche!
Old 06-09-2015, 10:08 PM
soupy
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by perretar
IMHO, SC is a must have with manual transmission (for the rev matching) optional with PDK
On GT cars it's just a clock and lap timing app. Rev matching is turned on/off with the Sport button.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:36 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Yep just a clock and lap timer w/SW.....
A very pretty clock and lap-timer.... I might add
And expensive too
Old 06-09-2015, 11:10 PM
Drjimh
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Yep just a clock and lap timer w/SW.....
A very pretty clock and lap-timer.... I might add
And expensive too
I hope it is an accurate clock. It will still be less expensive than my Breitling which is another village idiot discussion
Old 06-09-2015, 11:59 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drjimh
I hope it is an accurate clock. It will still be less expensive than my Breitling which is another village idiot discussion
ROTFLMAO
This is why I love Rennlist !!!
Old 06-10-2015, 07:53 PM
longwoodporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These forums are bad for my wallet. Had not ordered sport chrono now asking if it's too late. I'm sure I'll find out tomorrow. I have an end of July build so may be locked not sure
Old 06-10-2015, 08:11 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by longwoodporsche
These forums are bad for my wallet. Had not ordered sport chrono now asking if it's too late. I'm sure I'll find out tomorrow. I have an end of July build so may be locked not sure
Does the build start at the end of July or is it done by the end of July
If its the latter I think you will be 1800 dollars richer
Old 06-10-2015, 08:12 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by longwoodporsche
Honestly, it's not the end of the world if you don't get it. For $400 you can get this:
Amazon.com : VBOX Sport : Vehicle Gps Trackers : GPS & Navigation Amazon.com : VBOX Sport : Vehicle Gps Trackers : GPS & Navigation

Which will connect to your phone or gopro for video and give you some of the best GPS accuracy available.

Quick Reply: Feelin' like an idiot posting this: Sport Chrono