GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015 | 09:05 PM
Instructor

Based on this latest Prototype:

1. Roof - Visually looks similar to the 987 Spyder, but the sunshade rear attachment points are now no longer on the hatch, but instead attached to the body itself. Looks as if there is a flap that opens up when the roof is closed. That flap also includes a "Spyder" logo embossing. The weather protector looks more secure compared to the previous model it replaces. Some think its motorized based off the visual of the weather protector. Personally I think it will be a manual top but a lot simpler to operate.

2. Rear Hatch - There is a piece of camouflage over the mid section. You can see that the center brake light bridges the two humps like the 987. The question is whether or not there is a reason for this cover to hide something (doubtful).

3. Front Bumper - The Spyder is utilizing the GT4 front bumper skin and Grills. The front lip looks similar, but is not as low for better angle approach. (I can see some GT4 owners doing this mod to make it more street friendly?).

4. Front Brakes - This car has bigger brakes compared to the GTS... Are they GT4's? Not sure, but they are definitely different.

5. Suspension - Looks to be a higher stance than the GT4... My guess is the X73 suspension?

6. Front and Rear Lights - Look like a carryover from GT4... Black front housings and Rear lamps are smoked tint.

7. Rear Bumper - Looks the same as the standard with the addition of the GT4 Duck Tail. The diffuser looks the same as the standard GTS currently, but might change at production like the GT4 did.

8. Interior - Only photo we have is of the Sport Buckets. From this we can see the "Spyder" embroidery on the headrest similar to the GTS and GT4. They are in red with black alcantara inserts similar to the 987. These will be more than likely optional like the GT4 and GT3 where they were standard for the 987 Spyder and Cayman R.

Big question is what else carry's over from the GT4? Engine? The person that saw the car in person states that the prototype was with the 3.8 with a manual transmission. Some on the PFF.de forum state that it will have the 3.4 (personally doubt it). Many have stated that Porsche Motorsport did not develop the Spyder which could mean a lot of different things. The GT4 was designed specifically for track usage... where the Spyder is designed more for spirited raw street drives. My guess is everything the GT4 has to offer minus the track tuned suspension.

Old 02-20-2015 | 10:35 PM
AMGsound
Instructor

Good eye, I think you are close to spot on on many different points.
I think brakes are from 991S? 6 piston caliper, but not as big as GT3-4.
Engine? Your guess is as good as anyone else's, BUT, if they indeed dropped a 3.8 in there, goodbye 987 resale.
When they launched GT4, I sooooo wanted one next to my 991 GT3 in the garage, just because it would be amazing, but my wife wasn't impressed with my arguments.

But, GT3 AND a 981 Spyder, maybe I could get that by the Chairman, euh, Chairwoman!
Old 02-20-2015 | 10:41 PM
jalbrah
Rennlist Member

The car looks really good! Will they release it in Geneva next month?
Old 02-21-2015 | 05:50 AM
acky
Track Day

Originally Posted by jalbrah
The car looks really good! Will they release it in Geneva next month?
NO, as far as I know.
There is a rumor that the Spyder announcement with web special we come april 1th (no joke)
Old 02-21-2015 | 07:51 AM
genxr
Rennlist Member

If these aren't real, someone is going through a lot of effort to photoshop some pics.

Will I be turning in the keys on my 987 and "upgrading"? Not a chance. It'll be a good looking Porsche, but the 981 platform is too angular for me. I like the curves and fluidity of the 987's more. Just personal preference.

Nice seeing Porsche carry on the tradition.
Old 02-21-2015 | 11:38 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by genxr
If these aren't real, someone is going through a lot of effort to photoshop some pics.

Will I be turning in the keys on my 987 and "upgrading"? Not a chance. It'll be a good looking Porsche, but the 981 platform is too angular for me. I like the curves and fluidity of the 987's more. Just personal preference.

Same here but for me it's not just the styling, it's how well the 987 Spyder matches up with what I have always wanted in a dream car.

When I think of the ultimate roadster I want a car with a very focused interior. I have no interest in infotainment, I don't want buttons everywhere, I prefer minimal trim to create a cohesive yet lightweight look. Don't get me wrong, it still needs to look good and I'm not a fan of an unfinished interior either. I still have some regret for getting the radio in my Spyder since I find myself listening to the engine/exhaust noise frequently, I do wish Porsche had a lightweight version of the radio without the silly screen.

As far as appearances, Porsche has typically been a very good fit for my personality. The cars I lust after are beautiful to look at but not in your face. They have a cohesive look with all the right curves, angles and proper scaling. The Ferrari California Spyder SWB has to be one of my favorites but it's unobtainable. The Boxster Spyder does the same in a more modern way. Subtle beauty with timeless lines and looks. I'm not saying the new one won't be similar but the size of the new one is a bit more than I prefer and the rear bumper isn't my favorite.

The current Spyder also offers more performance than I really need for the street. It delivers plenty of acceleration and the handling is as perfect as anyone could possibly want. It also has the best feedback I have ever experienced in a car. You can tell exactly what each tire is doing and yet without any harshness. Steering and throttle inputs are perfectly dialed into the chassis and the car responds like it is wired into your brain. While the limits of the new Spyder may be higher I am at a point where I know I won't be able to appreciate them unless I spend time on the track and to me that is not why I bought the car.

Having said that I am very happy that they are bringing a new one and I am very curious to know how its personality differs. It would be cool to add to the collection and maybe someday I will. But I'm glad I have my dreamcar in the garage and that I was able to order it the way I wanted.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Marine Blue; 02-21-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2015 | 03:58 PM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Well said Afshin. And if I may add, I love the manual top. Something Nostalgic about it......
Old 02-21-2015 | 06:42 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
This is something I've been meaning t bring up but somehow always forget. People who complain about the top technically should also complain about any of the older Porsche Targa tops which can't be easily stowed in the car or any other car with multistep roof removal/install like the Elise, multiple Ferrari's etc. No it's not as convenient as pushing a button but as you noted, how many of us live in places where rain could pop up randomly. Only places I know like that are Florida and the Gulf Shore states.
I suppose that every area is different, but the salesmen in the Porsche dealers in my area told me that they lost many sales because of the top. A tactic that they would use is that weather permitting, the dealers would remove the soft top each morning. A prospective buyer would take the car for a test drive, and of course would fall in love with the ride. Then the inevitable question would come up about where's the top. After the top was installed efficiently by the salesman, the prospective buyer's enthusiasm dropped dramatically.
Old 02-21-2015 | 07:02 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1
I suppose that every area is different, but the salesmen in the Porsche dealers in my area told me that they lost many sales because of the top. A tactic that they would use is that weather permitting, the dealers would remove the soft top each morning. A prospective buyer would take the car for a test drive, and of course would fall in love with the ride. Then the inevitable question would come up about where's the top. After the top was installed efficiently by the salesman, the prospective buyer's enthusiasm dropped dramatically.
That's awesome. The Spyder is not for everyone, not by any stretch and personally I think that's what makes it exclusive. It's not a "every day" car. People who buy these could care less about convenience. Dealers complained because they couldnt' sell a ton of them, I'm ok with that.
Old 02-21-2015 | 08:30 PM
APEXHNTR
Instructor

Default 981 Prototype Spyder-where are your curves?

The 987 Spyder ticks all the boxes for me visually…. particularly from behind and in the rear quarter view.

The 981 prototype we have all been expressing our thoughts over leaves me wondering why the humps have been downsized from a D cup to a B cup?

Perhaps one of the photo artists here can provide comparison photos to see what is really going on with the rear deck lid.

Last edited by APEXHNTR; 09-26-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-21-2015 | 09:33 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
That's awesome. The Spyder is not for everyone, not by any stretch and personally I think that's what makes it exclusive. It's not a "every day" car. People who buy these could care less about convenience. Dealers complained because they couldnt' sell a ton of them, I'm ok with that.

and Porsche loses sales of some potential GT3 buyers because there is no back seat .....if you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one

there now seems like 200 variants of the 991 and 981 and some complain that there is still no one version that is " perfect " for them

Last edited by MKW; 02-22-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-22-2015 | 08:45 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Not having a horse in this race I just gotta saw the new 981 Spyder looks substantially better than the 987 version IMHO. If it has the 3.8l too than it's an entirely different animal performance wise as well.
Old 02-22-2015 | 04:37 PM
john weires
Pro

Porsche knows that the new 981 Spyder will have to perform better in most if not all areas than the 987 Spyder. This is particularly true in regards to operation of the top which held back 987 sales. The quaint top also gave the 987 some charm though too.

However, I think we have to reserve judgement on it's appearance until we see the car free of camouflage. Not all subsequent generation Porsche's have been considered better looking just because the chassis was new.

I agree with an earlier post that short term resale value will likely be modestly driven down on the 987 as people sell theirs to get the new 981 Spyder, but that long term, 987 values will come back up a bit and stabilize.

I own a 2011 Spyder that I love. I believe it will remain/become a classic Porsche lightweight that is collectible. I have no plans to upgrade to the 981. I also have a 2014 GT3 if I need to go faster.
Old 02-22-2015 | 08:12 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by genxr

I agree.
Also we have allot in common .
I also have 2011 Spyder and 2014 50th #1330
Old 02-23-2015 | 12:01 AM
genxr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPMD
I agree.
Also we have allot in common .
I also have 2011 Spyder and 2014 50th #1330
Oh my! Sometimes it's agonizing deciding which one to drive, and amazing to drive both the same day. With the styling, different driving dynamics and experience, they're two of the best modern Porsches.

The Spyder is everyones favorite though. There's something about a convertible...

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!