Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

OT: Cayman GT4

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014 | 03:08 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Ive learnt its impossible to second guess PAG...
A lesson I'm in no danger of taking on board any time soon, obviously. Some of us are slow learners...
Old 10-30-2014 | 04:40 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

It would make sense that the non-gt caymans become turbo 4-bangers, while the gt4 is a NA 6 cylinder, in view of the news that the 911 line is going the same way.

An Rs version of the cayman makes no sense to me... And I hope that complete speculation/fantasy goes away quietly
Old 10-30-2014 | 08:13 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The race car has not been approved and will not be online for 2 years IF it's approved. That's good info and not conjecture but info direct from the source as of 7 days ago!
Old 10-30-2014 | 08:36 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

John - Are you hearing anything on the GT4 rules transitioning to turbo or hybrids? It seems to be the logical direction for a European series.
Old 10-30-2014 | 08:47 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

A poster on RT (someone who really knows) said Feb 5 introduction for the GT4 w/ "limited production", whatever that means. I don't think this car is going to be too exotic or high tech. I think the point of racing this car, if Porsche does make that decision, is to reduce costs.
Old 10-30-2014 | 09:00 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by djcxxx
A poster on RT (someone who really knows) said Feb 5 introduction for the GT4 w/ "limited production", whatever that means. I don't think this car is going to be too exotic or high tech. I think the point of racing this car, if Porsche does make that decision, is to reduce costs.
When are the first deliveries to customers anticipated?
Old 10-30-2014 | 09:19 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NateOZ
John - Are you hearing anything on the GT4 rules transitioning to turbo or hybrids? It seems to be the logical direction for a European series.
My info is actually quasi-public and it was in a release a few days ago. I have no given knowledge of powertrain, etc., but I did not ask either. I was curious about the larger picture, etc road cars and racing. Either way...you folks are going to get a more powerful street car with some additional goodies so the patience will be rewarded.
Old 10-30-2014 | 09:47 AM
nh4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Manifold
When are the first deliveries to customers anticipated?
Mid-to-late summer of 2015 as a 2016 model.

-nh4.
Old 10-30-2014 | 10:07 AM
nh4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petevb
A counterargument:

If they are doing the GT4 correctly, and given that a race car is coming I suspect they will, then it will be getting a bunch of bespoke parts. Uprights with raised pickups, subframes, etc are all different on the GT3, and have traditionally been shared with the GT3 RS. Adding the RS effectively doubles the volume for those parts to amortize design and tooling, and is likely key to making the car's target profit margin. Given the success of this strategy and the fact that the "sacred" 911 is already going to be eclipsed by the GT4, at least in base form, why not? The Cayman is still early enough in its run that the chassis isn't changing to prevent it, and there is a nice RS sized hole below the GT3 and above the recent rumored GT4 specs (90k, 385 hp, 2850 lbs?) right at 415 hp and just under 110k:
I'd agree. Porsche wouldn't have spent the amount of money on the engineering for the GT3 if they didn't have plans to use those parts elsewhere in the lineup. I would say this is particularly true if the rumors of the GT3 run being significantly fewer units than Porsche originally planned for are fact.

I am hopeful, as I've said in other posts here, that the components which debuted in the 991 GT3 will make it to the Cayman GT4. The idea that the car will be called 'GT4' and not 'R' makes me think that Porsche is planning a more elaborate break out of their GT# cars... You know, because Porsche is clearly lacking in the number of model variants it sells For what I'm looking for in a car, this is great news, but it also flows with what other manufacturers are up to. look how BMW has been building out the 'M' cars in the last few years and how Merc has nearly made 'AMG' it's own thing. Audi and VW have been following the path as well with the S / RS (Audi) and the Golf lineup is getting silly; base, GTI, Type R, R400, Wolfsburg Edition...

Obviously Porsche already has a lot of this striation built in; base, S, GTS, turbo, turbo S, but the GT# cars have always been a bit different. In my opinion they are the 'M' or 'AMG' equivalent in Porsche lingo. If they further build out the differentiation to have the GT3 for the 911, the GT4 for the Cayman, and some other GT# for anything else they want to pair with a racing series, have at it! If it means we get the opportunity to buy street variants with blistering performance, more purpose-driven engineering, and a 10/10ths that borders on the ludicrous, I think they'll find a market for that!

-nh4.
Old 10-30-2014 | 10:10 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
My info is actually quasi-public and it was in a release a few days ago. I have no given knowledge of powertrain, etc., but I did not ask either. I was curious about the larger picture, etc road cars and racing. Either way...you folks are going to get a more powerful street car with some additional goodies so the patience will be rewarded.
Thanks - I'm actually hopeful they go hybrid otherwise I don't see a point in getting a GT4 vs a GT3/GT3 RS.

PS: Thanks again for helping get my 3.8l 981 sorted this week!
Old 10-30-2014 | 10:27 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by nh4
Obviously Porsche already has a lot of this striation built in; base, S, GTS, turbo, turbo S, but the GT# cars have always been a bit different. In my opinion they are the 'M' or 'AMG' equivalent in Porsche lingo.
There's one substantial difference though. Regular MB and BMW cars have no real pretense of being sports cars. Whereas the non-GT 911, Boxster, and Cayman variants are intended to be sports cars, and Porsche needs to be careful about sending a message that only the GT cars are their real sports cars.
Old 10-30-2014 | 11:52 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Originally Posted by Manifold
There's one substantial difference though. Regular MB and BMW cars have no real pretense of being sports cars. Whereas the non-GT 911, Boxster, and Cayman variants are intended to be sports cars, and Porsche needs to be careful about sending a message that only the GT cars are their real sports cars.
Most smaller coupes are still marketed as sports cars. For example, have a look at the materials for the BMW 2 series or MB C-Class Coupe.

Then they also have their various steps:
228i -> M235i -> M2 (Not yet out, but looks like it'll be a great car)
C250 -> C350 -> C63 AMG
Cayman -> Cayman S -> Cayman GTS

I've seriously been considering buying a M235i as a DD, you can even get it with a proper mechanical Limited Slip Diff upgrade from the factory.
Old 10-30-2014 | 11:56 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I've seriously been considering buying a M235i as a DD, you can even get it with a proper mechanical Limited Slip Diff upgrade from the factory.
And a race-proven slushbox!
Old 10-30-2014 | 12:58 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
And a race-proven slushbox!
Lol, it's a shame I can't match it with PCCBs and their race-proven track record
Old 10-30-2014 | 05:14 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

For those who follow GT4 racing, how is it that the 997 is homologated for that group. Would the GT4 Cayman we've been hearing about, even with 400 HP, be competitive?

Quick Reply: OT: Cayman GT4