Sponsored by: APR

DeMan vs. BGB

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 02:10 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
Emails, texts and posts have tone. Nothing was lost in your response in which you indicated, “So, that implies that they are better?” That was intended to have “tone” and certainly was not lost. Your initial post also said you were just kicking tires, but if you’re serious about the upgrade, call and speak to both shops. You likely cannot go wrong with either, but you should have realistic expectations and also be clear about what you want and expect so that the shop you go with can make recommendations.. I can’t imagine why you believe you need more power on the street (unless it’s for bragging rights and there’s nothing wrong with that); however, try tracking the car to get it out of your system, so to speak. Great car right out of the box.
The tone was a straight up question. The question was if one is talked about more on the forum, if the implication was that it was better/more popular. Toyotas are more popular than Fiats for a reason.

You choose to try to read into it and start something. It was a sincere question. I already apologized if it sounded that way and we have all moved on with further discussion and here you are trying to make it sound like I'm trying to start something again.

A legitimate response to my legitimate question would have been: "Yes, DeMan has many more customers that have done the 4.5 swap so there is a community of other owners and a long track record of customer support. Rick is always on this site and is quick to answer any questions or concerns and I think that the fact that there are two active threads about his engines and his work would indicate to me that that is the better option."

Last edited by MaddMike; 01-02-2022 at 08:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rick DeMan (01-03-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 11:22 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

So, my SA called me yesterday and said that although there were 5 people ahead of me on the list for the 718 Spyder, they were not local and since they are charging MSRP they don't want out of state buyer/flippers so I got the allocation. I don't know if I will be able to get what I need for my 981 but this is the car I really wanted but purchased the 981 as I didn't think I would get a slot.

The beauty of having the 981 is that I got to experience the options in the real world and decide what I needed to have and which options I could cut. My 981 has lots of extended leather including seatbacks and extended dash etc. Nice if you buy a car with it, but not necessary and I can spend money on performance option such as PCCB and buckets to at least keep the weight close to the 981. I even deleted nav as I plan on getting Android Auto and really never use nav in any of my cars anyway.

I may end up not getting what I need for the 981 and keeping it so I'm talking to Rick DeMan about options there. I really do like the tail end of the 981 better and I know I will miss the sound.

Anyway, I have been obsessing about my build but think I have settled. Keeping the same color and classic interior with some deletes and some extras.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...r-build-5.html
Old 01-04-2022, 07:54 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
A legitimate response to my legitimate question would have been: "Yes, DeMan has many more customers that have done the 4.5 swap so there is a community of other owners and a long track record of customer support. Rick is always on this site and is quick to answer any questions or concerns and I think that the fact that there are two active threads about his engines and his work would indicate to me that that is the better option."
You answered your legitimate question.
The following users liked this post:
MaddMike (01-05-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 09:43 PM
chaos2984
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts

If you can get an allocation for a build slot and pay either MSRP or a little under, I would do that. As long as it doesn't harm you financially that much. That way the car is built to exactly how you want it to be. Also its always exciting to see your brand new car when it comes in.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:29 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chaos2984
If you can get an allocation for a build slot and pay either MSRP or a little under, I would do that. As long as it doesn't harm you financially that much. That way the car is built to exactly how you want it to be. Also its always exciting to see your brand new car when it comes in.
Its at MSRP, I don't think any dealer is budging from that. Some are still marking up $15-$20k. The bigger question will be if they give me what I need for the 981. Some suggested that I will do better on BAT so that may be an option. However, the fact that my new car is coming in when it is warm and that dealers are (at least for now) desperately looking for clean cars to sell, it they can at least get close to what I need, I won't bother trying other routes. If not, I can always walk or flip the 718 if the market is still as crazy as it is today.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:16 PM
chaos2984
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Its at MSRP, I don't think any dealer is budging from that. Some are still marking up $15-$20k. The bigger question will be if they give me what I need for the 981. Some suggested that I will do better on BAT so that may be an option. However, the fact that my new car is coming in when it is warm and that dealers are (at least for now) desperately looking for clean cars to sell, it they can at least get close to what I need, I won't bother trying other routes. If not, I can always walk or flip the 718 if the market is still as crazy as it is today.
I would see what the dealer will give you for the car. That way you know where you stand on it and if it makes sense for you to trade it in. If your only going to loose a little on the car, to me its worth that loss to get a brand new car the way you want it. As they say sometimes you have to take 2 steps back to take 1 step forward. Also when would your allocation come in? With the new Covid variant running around it will continue to hurt supply chains. Some chip makers are taking steps to shift production since China is shutting down somewhat again. Until auto makers can get their supply chain under normal levels again, the used car market will be high.
Old 07-03-2024, 02:33 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 608 Likes on 271 Posts

First things first, kudos to those that gave replies that were thoughtful comments about both shops and businesses, further reiterating that two people can and did go two different routes. Having said that, while i would like to forego directly replying to the OP and continue to let those do their homework while we operate our business, i can offer something that is probably the closest thing for that which you are looking.

Here are 6 different dyno runs from 6 different cars, 3 of which were built in our shop and two of which were not and the last one is a stock GT4RS for good measure. The ambient environment information for all 6 runs is present showing that some cars were dyno'd on days with far better air quality than others, still all the while using SAE correction. The only other information that would have been of use would have been when i paid to send the yellow car to New York in 2020 to be dyno'd on that dyno only to give up before doing any baseline pulls when i found out that when it arrived there it was filled with pump gas; i didn't even bother putting any files in the car because it was already knocking and told them to box it back up and bring it home.

Cheers!

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 07-03-2024 at 02:34 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by BGB Motorsports:
Jim Vinci (07-04-2024), Mike981S (07-03-2024), Porschetuner2005 (07-25-2024), TDT (07-03-2024)

Quick Reply: DeMan vs. BGB