Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

TopGear 981 GT4 Catless Header Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 08:32 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 51 Posts

Are these compatible for the 981 GT4 Clubsport as well?
Old 05-16-2023, 09:24 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by nhnguy12
How are you guys finding the smell?
I had “race” (aka catless) headers on my GT4 for awhile and I really didn’t notice much difference.

Only switched back to stock to get back to oem sound levels.
The following users liked this post:
nhnguy12 (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 11:00 AM
Thescout13
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by nhnguy12
How are you guys finding the smell?
I only really notice it when (1) I am reversing through the exhaust cloud, (2) sitting at a light for more than 30 seconds with the window down, and (3) stationary with the windows up for more than a minute in a half (though very faint). In none of the above scenarios would I say it’s “overwhelming” but you do notice it. Frankly, as I had years of modified exhausts from running e85 to pump fuel on catless, it’s no where near as bad as some of those cars which could be nauseating just driving. But if you are one of those type of people who can’t stand any exhaust smell, you will not like the experience ~10-30% of the time depending on how you are using it. For me, the sound and feel make it worth the minor inconvenience.
nhnguy12 (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 01:51 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsopa
I had “race” (aka catless) headers on my GT4 for awhile and I really didn’t notice much difference.

Only switched back to stock to get back to oem sound levels.
Originally Posted by Thescout13
I only really notice it when (1) I am reversing through the exhaust cloud, (2) sitting at a light for more than 30 seconds with the window down, and (3) stationary with the windows up for more than a minute in a half (though very faint). In none of the above scenarios would I say it’s “overwhelming” but you do notice it. Frankly, as I had years of modified exhausts from running e85 to pump fuel on catless, it’s no where near as bad as some of those cars which could be nauseating just driving. But if you are one of those type of people who can’t stand any exhaust smell, you will not like the experience ~10-30% of the time depending on how you are using it. For me, the sound and feel make it worth the minor inconvenience.
Thanks for the insights! I don't mind the smell when the car runs rich during a cold start or if I just finished a hard drive so I think it shouldn't be a problem for me.
Old 05-21-2023, 12:17 PM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

I added the mini cats to mine but also have a Race tube from soft tonic already, so no CEL so far.
Hey Mr.! Did you end up with a CEL? I loaded the race tune as well but still getting codes. Which mini cats did you end up with and how many miles driven since? I’d sure like to remedy this as it’s kinda annoying.
Old 05-21-2023, 02:19 PM
Thescout13
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoSubstitute981
Hey Mr.! Did you end up with a CEL? I loaded the race tune as well but still getting codes. Which mini cats did you end up with and how many miles driven since? I’d sure like to remedy this as it’s kinda annoying.
No CELs for a few hundred miles. This morning I went on a 60 mile twisties drive where I was above 4500 RPM almost the entire time. On the drive home I got a CEL, used my CarSoft to see the code and it was an o2 sensor heat issue (not the normal error people get for catless). Cleared the code and it didn’t come back after. Not surprised given how hard we were going. I use some mini cats I bought from pelican parts. Can’t remember the type but not too expensive. Since I have carsoft, I don’t mind CEL because I can clear it in seconds.

Whats the code your getting?
Old 05-21-2023, 03:11 PM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

No CELs for a few hundred miles. This morning I went on a 60 mile twisties drive where I was above 4500 RPM almost the entire time. On the drive home I got a CEL, used my CarSoft to see the code and it was an o2 sensor heat issue (not the normal error people get for catless). Cleared the code and it didn’t come back after. Not surprised given how hard we were going. I use some mini cats I bought from pelican parts. Can’t remember the type but not too expensive. Since I have carsoft, I don’t mind CEL because I can clear it in seconds.

Whats the code your getting?
I’m getting…
P2097 & P2099 (left and right bank too rich post converter) which makes sense due to not having a converter…
We auto crossed yesterday and the CEL came up on our way home.
I’m working with Scott at Softronic to se what can be done.
I’ve got a scan tool as well so not a huge deal but more of an annoyance.
If I had to choose, I’d simply remove the second O2 sensor from the car if there was a way to eliminate the CEL. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that we can get there.
Thescout13 (05-21-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 04:09 PM
Thescout13
Rennlist Member

I’m getting…
P2097 & P2099 (left and right bank too rich post converter) which makes sense due to not having a converter…
We auto crossed yesterday and the CEL came up on our way home.
I’m working with Scott at Softronic to se what can be done.
I’ve got a scan tool as well so not a huge deal but more of an annoyance.
If I had to choose, I’d simply remove the second O2 sensor from the car if there was a way to eliminate the CEL. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that we can get there.
let me know what he says
Old 05-21-2023, 09:13 PM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

let me know what he says
Will do.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:00 AM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

I think what happened is I installed the original (stock) file rather than the “Race” file. That tool isn’t super intuitive… or maybe it’s me. At any rate, I installed the Race file and so far so good. Scott sent me a revised file but for now I’ll go with the Race file.
I thought something didn’t feel quite right. There’s definitely a difference between files (stock vs. race).
I’ll report back if any codes come up.
Old 06-01-2023, 05:34 AM
Thescout13
Rennlist Member

I think what happened is I installed the original (stock) file rather than the “Race” file. That tool isn’t super intuitive… or maybe it’s me. At any rate, I installed the Race file and so far so good. Scott sent me a revised file but for now I’ll go with the Race file.
I thought something didn’t feel quite right. There’s definitely a difference between files (stock vs. race).
I’ll report back if any codes come up.
how did you verify which one you installed with the tool?
Old 06-01-2023, 09:55 AM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

how did you verify which one you installed with the tool?
I didn’t. That tool doesn’t tell you what’s installed as far as I can see. I just remember not toggling through the files installed on the device. I wrote earlier, what I thought was the “race” tune, seemed smoother. After driving it some, it felt down on power. Once Scott sent me a revised race tune, I went to install it and realized my mistake. I must not have been wearing my cheaters when I installed what I thought was the race tune… didn’t toggle through the tunes on the device.

Installing the revised Race tune was kinda the aha moment. (Cheaters on) So I ended up installing the original race tune which is likely what you have sans available octane (We’ve got 91 here) at any rate, I’ve driven many cycles/times, idled etc. and no codes so far.
Old 06-12-2023, 10:54 AM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

Well crap! Got a code yesterday right at the end of a spirited, around CDA lake, drive yesterday. Anyone else still getting codes? I’ll try the “revised” race file next if the issue persists.
Old 01-16-2024, 02:00 PM
_GTS_Panda
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey there! Are you still checking this thread? I have a new 718 GTS 4.0, and I am considering catless headers. I have questions about the Top Gear ones as well as headers in general. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2024, 02:20 PM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

Originally Posted by _GTS_Panda
Hey there! Are you still checking this thread? I have a new 718 GTS 4.0, and I am considering catless headers. I have questions about the Top Gear ones as well as headers in general. Thanks!
Not sure what your question is but but I’d say GET THEM, they are very nice. I’ve had no issues thus far. I did end up needing software to eliminate the code but you could try the mini-cats. I found some for $100 for the pair. If it were me, I’d see if there is a “tune” available to get the most out of them. I used Softronic…

Cheers

Quick Reply: TopGear 981 GT4 Catless Header Review