Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

TopGear 981 GT4 Catless Header Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 02:29 PM
_GTS_Panda
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome. Thank you. I already have a Softronic tune and was told they will be able to tune out the CEL. I am glad that you are happy with the Top Gear ones. They are significantly cheaper than Soul or other brands. I don't want to ruin my expensive car. My main questions are as follows: Is the additional power noticeable? Is the sound civil when PSE is turned off? How bad is the smell? Are you getting idle surges?

Thank you.
Old 01-16-2024, 03:25 PM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by _GTS_Panda
Awesome. Thank you. I already have a Softronic tune and was told they will be able to tune out the CEL. I am glad that you are happy with the Top Gear ones. They are significantly cheaper than Soul or other brands. I don't want to ruin my expensive car. My main questions are as follows: Is the additional power noticeable? Is the sound civil when PSE is turned off? How bad is the smell? Are you getting idle surges?

Thank you.
The power is noticeable but not quite as much as the tune. Understand my car is a 3.4 so can’t speak to what you’ll experience but I’ll bet you’ll see a better torque curve down low than I did because of your displacement.
Again, this is just a guess, but I’d say the sound will definitely be a bit different but not by much with PSE off. I say this because I have the Carnewal GT exhaust (which I did first) and the sound, although it changed some, just wasn’t a lot. Definitely for the better for sure. Personally, I’m fine with how mine sounds, meaning I’d hit the PSE (if I had that) OFF button every time I drive. The glorious wail doesn’t really come on until 4500RPM anyway so cruising around at normal speeds won’t wake up the chipmunks. No joke… I get more compliments on how the car sounds than the car. Don’t care either way, I just like the car, but that’s been my experience.
As far as power increases go, the tune and headers are really all you can do to these cars. The other intake BS is just wasted money in my opinion. Those gains won’t even be noticed!

BTW, the headers we’re talking about ARE Soul headers, just without the media blasted surface, which of course you’ll only see the day you install them… oh and the grossly inflated price!
Old 01-16-2024, 03:43 PM
_GTS_Panda
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoSubstitute981
The power is noticeable but not quite as much as the tune. Understand my car is a 3.4 so can’t speak to what you’ll experience but I’ll bet you’ll see a better torque curve down low than I did because of your displacement.
Again, this is just a guess, but I’d say the sound will definitely be a bit different but not by much with PSE off. I say this because I have the Carnewal GT exhaust (which I did first) and the sound, although it changed some, just wasn’t a lot. Definitely for the better for sure. Personally, I’m fine with how mine sounds, meaning I’d hit the PSE (if I had that) OFF button every time I drive. The glorious wail doesn’t really come on until 4500RPM anyway so cruising around at normal speeds won’t wake up the chipmunks. No joke… I get more compliments on how the car sounds than the car. Don’t care either way, I just like the car, but that’s been my experience.
As far as power increases go, the tune and headers are really all you can do to these cars. The other intake BS is just wasted money in my opinion. Those gains won’t even be noticed!

BTW, the headers we’re talking about ARE Soul headers, just without the media blasted surface, which of course you’ll only see the day you install them… oh and the grossly inflated price!
Amazing info. I think I am going to go with the Top Gear ones. Last question. How is the smell? I am worried about that. Can you smell it in the cabin and how bad is it on the outside?
Old 01-16-2024, 03:59 PM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

Amazing info. I think I am going to go with the Top Gear ones. Last question. How is the smell? I am worried about that. Can you smell it in the cabin and how bad is it on the outside?
Nope! No smell inside. The usual smell on the outside which is just spent rubber!!!
Old 01-16-2024, 04:37 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 581 Posts

Thank you.
I have the cat-less headers and Softronic tune on my spyder- don't notice the smell but then I also drive 2 914's and they "smell" more than it does! Scott turned off the CEL with the tune so nothing there. Runs great but must admit I notice the "tune" more on my 991.2 Carrera T. I think you'll notice the difference with a tune much more on a turbo than with a NA engine.
Old 01-16-2024, 04:39 PM
_GTS_Panda
Rennlist Member

How is the sound with the catless headers then before? Is it always loud, or when you turn PSE off, does it calm down? I like noise, but I would like civility when I have a passenger or when the drive is long.
Old 01-16-2024, 04:43 PM
pharo1
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am currently making a before and after video with windows up and down to compare stock vs Fabspeed catless header and pse. I can attach the link by Friday to help give more input on the sound difference.
The following users liked this post:
SQ13 (01-16-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 05:51 PM
_GTS_Panda
Rennlist Member

Alright. Thanks for the insight, everyone. I just ordered the Top Gear Headers from Sierra Racing Supply. Their service is awesome and as someone mentioned, no sales tax. I was out the door for about $800. Incredible, considering I was about to spend $4k on Fabspeed/Soul. I will do some before and after videos. Hoping I like them!
Old 01-17-2024, 09:02 PM
SQ13
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 24 Posts

Alright. Thanks for the insight, everyone. I just ordered the Top Gear Headers from Sierra Racing Supply. Their service is awesome and as someone mentioned, no sales tax. I was out the door for about $800. Incredible, considering I was about to spend $4k on Fabspeed/Soul. I will do some before and after videos. Hoping I like them!
How’d you manage to get it for that cheap? It’s listed for $1,275 on their website.
Old 01-17-2024, 09:40 PM
_GTS_Panda
Rennlist Member

They have them for $850 on their website, and I was given a 5% off coupon.

https://www.sierraracingsupply.com/p...-4-0l-2020-/30
IndigoInkTaco (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 10:20 PM
SQ13
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 24 Posts

They have them for $850 on their website, and I was given a 5% off coupon.

https://www.sierraracingsupply.com/p...-4-0l-2020-/30
Ooh okay, that’s for the 718. Wouldn’t work on my 981.
Old 01-17-2024, 10:25 PM
_GTS_Panda
Rennlist Member

See. Look at that. I knew buying a new car was a wise financial decision. I am already saving money. Haha. I will let you know how this goes. I might have hit a wrinkle. I have Flat six over-axle pipes, and it says they fit with their own OAPs or the OEM ones. Hoping it fits.
SQ13 (01-17-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 01:59 PM
sinking
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Have any of you successfully handled the CEL and, even more important, the readyness monitors?

Those running the O2 extenders, do all your monitors go to ready? If some are still set to "not ready", how many? In my experience with other cars it is normally 2, but if we can get it down to 1 I'd be good.
Old 02-02-2024, 02:16 PM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

Originally Posted by sinking
Have any of you successfully handled the CEL and, even more important, the readyness monitors?

Those running the O2 extenders, do all your monitors go to ready? If some are still set to "not ready", how many? In my experience with other cars it is normally 2, but if we can get it down to 1 I'd be good.

I don’t know what “readiness monitors” are but my CEL was handled with software. Softronic is who did mine. No CEL’s whatsoever!
You will want a tune anyway if you want to take full advantage of the header upgrade.
Old 02-02-2024, 02:18 PM
Rulez
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone been able to purchase these from Top Gear recently? They aren’t listed on their site anymore and haven’t been for a long time. I emailed them to inquire but haven’t gotten a response yet.

Quick Reply: TopGear 981 GT4 Catless Header Review