Sponsored by: APR

PCCB Scratches.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 09:31 PM
spyderdoc
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Default PCCB Scratches.

Apparently, there is very minimal clearance between the PCCB caliper and the inside of the wheel. I guess these sticky tires throw rocks all over the place and there’s a good chance one of them will bounce into the inner part of rim and scratch the crap out of the caliper and inner wheel. Did some “Google research”, and I guess this is a common issue with the PCCBs given minimal clearance between the caliper and wheel.

Both the front calipers and wheels have similar scratches. None on the rears.

On a good note, this was the inaugural lift for the Quick Jack, and it worked like a charm!

Quick Jack is awesome!

Caliper scratched up

Inner wheel scratched up
Old 02-16-2021, 12:54 AM
gtreddy
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I know this is going to sound stupid, but I have the iron rotors and went to 19” track wheels, and the clearances are probably worse than PCCB on 20’s.

Before I had forge lines, I had a similar issue with my BBS 19’s. What solved it was doing a layer of ceramic coating on the calipers. Helped reduce the buildup of gunk that seemed to be causing the issue.
The following users liked this post:
spyderdoc (02-16-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 09:11 AM
DriverDaily
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 81 Posts

My M2 Competition had 19s with 400mm rotors. The stones stuck between the calipers is a common problem.

Depending on how deep the groove is and how thin the wheel barrel is, some people have felt the need to replace the wheel.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:59 PM
chaos2984
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 111 Posts

My GT4 that i bought has this same issue but is worse than yours. No real damage to the wheels but the top side of the calipers are all scuffed up. I am trying to figure out a way to touch them up.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:04 PM
gla
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Same here. Rock gets stuck and cuts a perfect groove in wheel. Geesh....I thought I was the only one this has happened to. Surprised to find out it is a common issue.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:40 AM
986gt2
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Common on my car with PCCB's. I can normally hear it pretty quickly and just stop, back up 4 feet and then go again. The wheels are about 3/4 of an inch thick there. Not an issue other than the groove.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:35 PM
SYGT4
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a much more common problem than I ever knew before I bought my GT4.

I have a 981 GT4 with PCCBs, which I bought about eight months ago. In that timeframe, I went through four front wheels due to rocks being thrown up and getting caught between the caliper and wheel barrel. In my cases, there were scratches through the paint and into the aluminum wheel. Depending on who I asked, some people felt it was a liability on the track due to the risk of a possible wheel fracture with track stress. I’m not sure I believe that, but I had a couple people tell me that they would be nervous tracking the car with wheel damage. This probably represents only cosmetic damage, but it’s impossible to know with certainty.

The first two wheels were replaced when I bought the car from the dealer, so that it could be CPOed. The next two wheels happened on the street, one of which was replaced by Goodwill by the Porsche dealership, and the other through the Porsche wheel and tire warranty. However, they told me that they would not replace any more wheels through the warranty.

Since I started having this problem, every time I go to a car show I look at every Cayman and 911 with PCCBs. Probably about half of them have these scratches.

The only way to prevent this from happening is to purchase wheels that are built for a big brake kit. I bought 20” HRE P101s for a pretty penny, but have had no issues since. The clearance isn’t huge, but enough that I doubt there will be a future problem. I know others buy Forgeline or BBS wheels, which supposedly have similar success.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:54 AM
Viperguy324
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Have had grooves cut into mine for years.. no issues with track use at all.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:02 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,411 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Reason #3 why I didn't order PCCBs on my new GT3. Sorry to see this. Would drive crazy. Beautiful car & color. Nice lift. I'll need to look into one of those later this year.
The following users liked this post:
spyderdoc (04-24-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 01:43 PM
jr666
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clearance is definitely tight. This is on my Panamera turbo S hybrid. I wonder if this is covered by warranty. I very much doubt it but I will give it a try in the morning with the dealers.

Old 08-09-2023, 04:31 PM
Feralc
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Found these thread after I installed new tires yesterday and same the calipers are pretty scratched up.
good to hear it is normal
I checked the wheels and I didn’t see any damage

Quick Reply: PCCB Scratches.