4 Year Service $2800!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 01:09 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Sweet deal!

Since no one grabbed them, I put them on my car. :-)
Old 07-09-2020, 01:12 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Sancho22
I am in the same boat - 4 year service due.
I got the car last year, it is CPO, has about 11K miles.
Did only two DE events last year. I am in Northern NJ.

I am wondering if I take my car to an independent Porsche shop and have the work done, would my CPO stand?
I would otherwise take the car to an above mentioned dealer, which frankly I am dreading...

Also in northern NJ. Which dealer and which independents do you use? I use European Performance/Stable Energies in Garfield and Porsche Monmouth (where I got the car).

Let's go for a drive some time. Send me a PM with your contact info.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:59 PM
Sancho22
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds good.
Paul Miller, Precision, HRD and New Vernon Coachworks - depending on the car...
Old 07-16-2020, 02:57 PM
Gilou Panizzi
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Due to some misfire problems on cylinder 6, I had half of my 4 year service done last weekend . I was giving her a solid mountain drive to celebrate her 15000 km, and suddenly the engine started to reduce power and act like serious covid symptoms .. engine default codes etc mentionning a misfire on the 6th cylinder. My local dealer first changed 6 spark plugs then there were misfire again. They changed the coil on cylinder 6 and gave 2 fresh air filters. This whole operation cost about 750 euros. We will proceed with oil and brake fluid service at the end of the year, so the total won't reach more than 1500 euros.
The following users liked this post:
seanix (07-16-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 11:49 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 96 Posts

Glad I ran into this thread. I need new plugs apparently for my 2016. Does not seem too bad as DIY.

981:
and 987:
Old 07-23-2020, 01:01 PM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

With the right swivels and extensions, you can get a torque wrench on every spark plug too. Others have struggled to do this so just an FYI. I have a Kobalt swivel plug tool, and several medium and long extensions. Also a regular swivel came into play on some cylinders too.
aryork (07-23-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 05:23 PM
Sancho22
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So I double checked and all the 4 year service item were essentially done last summer when my car was CPO'd.

I think an oil change is in order but all others should be not done again in 12 months?
Old 08-07-2020, 01:11 AM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Sancho22
I am in the same boat - 4 year service due.
I got the car last year, it is CPO, has about 11K miles.
Did only two DE events last year. I am in Northern NJ.

I am wondering if I take my car to an independent Porsche shop and have the work done, would my CPO stand?
I would otherwise take the car to an above mentioned dealer, which frankly I am dreading...
Yes. Google and read about the Magnuson Moss warranty act.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:03 PM
MasterApex
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Plugs are time or mileage, they should be done every 5 to 6 years to prevent seizing as already noted. If you’re already performing the labor to remove them you might as well change them.

Gearbox fluid should also be changed based upon time or mileage.

I wouldn’t skimp on any of the services but I would definitely look for a good Indy that will do the work at a lower labor/overhead rate.
GT4 manual says plug at 40k miles/4 years
Manual transmission oil at 120k miles/12 years
Old 08-08-2020, 10:17 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Did my 4-year service this weekend. The filters were super easy - 5 minutes each max. The plugs were not too bad. One thing I would suggest on the process is to pop the elect connectors off the coils first. Some of the coils can come out (off the plug and out of the cylinder) while still connected, but not all of them. I think it would be best to remove connectors first, then the Torx 30 that holds the coils. I used two 3-inch socket extensions, one of those U-joint adapters, and a long extension. Plugs came out and went in without a problem. I torqued to 22-23 ft-lb, given the 24 ft-lb spec. Although the new plugs had gaps smaller than the OEM ones that came out. I opened them up slightly, but not as much as the OEM plugs. Put on a small amount of anti-seize. Oil was the usual - no issues (checked for metal bits), and used Mobil 1.

It would be nice if Porsche would have smoothed or de-burred the surfaces that your hands rub on the entire time while working the plugs in and out. I guess skin will re-grow!
Old 08-12-2020, 12:04 PM
Space Coast GT3
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Same here. I can not see paying dealer for a standard maintenance task. So this weekend I did the 4 year. Took me about 4 hours to change plugs. I had the car on jack stands and took my time . Was pretty easy really. Most my time was spent figuring out which combination of socket extensions to use for each cylinder. I think the tool that made this job easy was a pivoting head ratchet I picked up at Harbor Freight for $14. I did not need any universal joints. I found removing the engine panel guard allowed me to reach up in front of the rear wheel (removed) to reach the plugs closest to the front.

Took a break and drank some beer. Then next day I changed oil. Went with the 5w-50 as I’m in Florida and I track a bunch. I read on this forum where someone suggested to put a plastic bag around the filter housing during removal. Great idea! For the first time I didn’t have oil all over the place.

Next I flushed the brake fluid. Then changed the air filters. I changed them at 10,000 miles and just now turned 15,0000. They needed changing. Note I have the AutoQuest screen guards but the scoops still pick up a ton of crap. I also have the Sharwerks air filter removal tool. I highly recommend this. Also checked all nuts and bolts etc to be sure nothing is loose. Looked and felt around and no leaks or drips. Think I spent about $300 and had a fun project that keep me entertained for 2 days.
The following 3 users liked this post by Space Coast GT3:
aryork (08-12-2020), Craig67 (08-12-2020), MattUF (01-19-2021)
Old 08-12-2020, 03:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterApex
GT4 manual says plug at 40k miles/4 years
Manual transmission oil at 120k miles/12 years
I’m not certain if Porsche made any changes to the 981 transmission vs the 987 but I can state for a fact that my transmission needed an oil change after 5 years. Anyone tracking their cars should likely change it even earlier as the heat will degrade the oil and prevent the synchros from working properly.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:57 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
...Anyone tracking their cars should likely change it even earlier as the heat will degrade the oil and prevent the synchros from working properly.
I was thinking the other day when I was underneath the GT4 looking at the rear end...the transmission has cooling fins on it, but there are no air-deflecting devices used. On a Cayenne, Porsche uses a naca duct and an additional air deflector to direct air on the finned transfer case. I wonder if using a small air deflector on the GT4 would help? I have a couple of extra scoops and could try one out. Wish we had a transmission oil temp readout.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:32 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,284 Posts

I'm due for the same 4 year service.
I'm only at 10,700 miles and got a "similar" quote of roughly $1900 sans brake fluid flush.

I had the brakes flushed last year and the coolant got changed with the tranny recall.
I just did the air filters myself. It's very easy with the Sharkwerk's tool that you use to pull them out.
But I took my time with the filter swap and I wouldnt say that it's a 10 minute job as someone had posted earlier.
I took my time and used some Danco silicone grease too.

Five12Free (01-22-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 08:02 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

My independent in San Diego did the 4 year recently for a little over $1k. For those in the area, Adam Gill at Völlig off Miramar Rd.
ljmartyre (01-21-2021)

Quick Reply: 4 Year Service $2800!!!!!