Sponsored by: APR

DSC Sport Controller - GT4 Settings

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 07:18 AM
RajuPatel
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
Ok, so I think this has got it. Using the new 718 GT4/Spyder file from 9/2/20, below are my tweaked settings. I no longer have that "kick up" in the rear from hitting bumps (tried known bump on my test route), the car is no longer bouncy (i.e. cabin bouncing up and down what feels like too many times "after" clearing stretch of rippled pavement), no "harsh/abrasive" feeling nor sound, when hitting sharp edged potholes, and balanced damping between the front and rear, over the same road imperfection (Hooray....Finally!).

Sport mode is still "firmer" than Normal, but I feel like suspension, as a whole, could be even stiffer, and it would still be comfortable for daily driving over rough roads. For comparison, the recently installed PSS10s on my Mk6 Jetta, set at "1" all round, has a substantially firmer ride.

Sport mode:

GForce (G Comfort Parameters)...Stock 718 9/2/20 file GForce settings, but different from my most recent post:

Default Rate: 20.0
Offset: 100.0
Sensitivity: 15
G Rate Max: 20.0

Shock Calibration (0%-100%)...different from stock 718 file settings:

LF: 1100mA-100mA
RF: 1100mA-100mA
LR: 1200mA-500mA
RR: 1200mA-500mA

Velocity (Cmp-High, Cmp-Med, Cmp-Low – Reb-Low, Reb-Med, Reb-High)...different from stock 718 file settings:

LF: 5.0%, 5.0%, 5.0% – 0.0%, 0.0%, 0.0%
RF: 5.0%, 5.0%, 5.0% – 0.0%, 0.0%, 0.0%
LR: 6.0%, 3.0%, 0.0% – 0.0%, 5.0%, 10.0%
RR: 6.0%, 3.0%, 0.0% – 0.0%, 5.0%, 10.0%
Will this work with a 2020 GT4 Cayman with upgraded (SWIFT) Springs as supplied by Design by Jacobs?
Old 10-30-2023, 04:05 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 791 Posts

Depends on your definition of "work". The controller, and dampers will still continue to function with those settings. However I was specific about posting my car model, installed parts, and condition of car/parts, in order to clearly convey my intended goals and results.
Old 10-31-2023, 02:37 AM
RajuPatel
Rennlist Member

Depends on your definition of "work". The controller, and dampers will still continue to function with those settings. However I was specific about posting my car model, installed parts, and condition of car/parts, in order to clearly convey my intended goals and results.
I am currently on the stock coiler with upgraded SWIFT springs. 448lbs Front, and 560 lbs rear. I have also installed the Tarett rear adjustable toe arm. Currently I am running -2.5 camber at the rears and -2.0 at the front. I have also installed the MR coilover top mounts for getting additional negative camber. The sway bars are set to stiff at the rears and mid up front. I drive at high speeds on the freeways and on mountainous twisted routes. I want the car to be more responsive at turn in and at the same time i do not mind the ride to be a little from than the stock NORMAL Mode. I have also installed a CF from boot hood, and the DBJ rear CF wing. I seldom track the car (maybe once in 2 years). High speed stability and very good turn in on twists is the primary goal. Am i asking for too much? I am currently running the stock GT4 file.
Old 11-16-2023, 06:22 PM
StigN
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Files for DSC controller ?

This might be a noob question, but . . where are the files that are mentioned located ?
Old 11-16-2023, 06:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by StigN
This might be a noob question, but . . where are the files that are mentioned located ?
dscsport.com
Old 11-16-2023, 07:17 PM
dps214
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by StigN
Officially, nowhere, DSC doesn't have a publicly accessible database anymore. If you're an original owner, you can email them and request a tune file. If you bought the controller second hand, it costs $150. Some people have posted their files publicly in threads like this one.
The following users liked this post:
StigN (11-17-2023)
Old 11-17-2023, 03:59 AM
StigN
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The controller came with a 2016 GT4 i recently bought. From what I can tell, the settings on it are the original.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:10 AM
RajuPatel
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I had that. However one caveat is that I'm not sure how these settings will translate to the 718. That said, in general, the basic direction of the changes should apply. You may need to tweak values to your liking. The over setup makes driving over bumps more compliant, and the dampers compress more, and it reduces rebound speed to minimize that lifting action when coming out of dips. Overall ride is just more composed.
Let me know if the DL link doesn't work. I'm not good with google.

ColnagoG60's June 12, 2023 settings: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w0H...ew?usp=sharing

As always, "use at your own risk, etc. etc....".
Than you @ colnago. I reverted back to my stock spring setup and calibrated unloaded shock position. Thereafter i loaded this file and have driven about 300 miles since. My views on the file and what is does. The GT4 rides much better over minor undulations (and both low and high speeds). On the mountain twisted rods, the car suspension loads predictably well and in a progressive manner. I would have preferred and lesser loading than what it is though. Only the one issue that i have faced is that at speeds about 40mph+ when the car encounters an 1"+ high ridge then the compression and consequent rebound unsettles my 718 GT4. If the ridge is followed by a dip, then it feels like saddle bronc ride. I would like to know what parameters to change to make it more compliant. But overall the ride is superlative and predictive. Thank you again.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:16 PM
downhiller2010
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is there a meaningful difference between tuning for the stock dampers vs. tractive dampers? Can the same tune files be used on both to get the same results?
Old 03-30-2024, 08:33 AM
RajuPatel
Rennlist Member

AFAIK the Tractive dampers' response times are much quicker than stock dampers. The tune files should be similar and should work on either.
Old 04-02-2024, 03:57 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RajuPatel
Than you @ colnago. I reverted back to my stock spring setup and calibrated unloaded shock position. Thereafter i loaded this file and have driven about 300 miles since. My views on the file and what is does. The GT4 rides much better over minor undulations (and both low and high speeds). On the mountain twisted rods, the car suspension loads predictably well and in a progressive manner. I would have preferred and lesser loading than what it is though. Only the one issue that i have faced is that at speeds about 40mph+ when the car encounters an 1"+ high ridge then the compression and consequent rebound unsettles my 718 GT4. If the ridge is followed by a dip, then it feels like saddle bronc ride. I would like to know what parameters to change to make it more compliant. But overall the ride is superlative and predictive. Thank you again.
Maybe change the Low speed Compression settings to "0%" from (5%)?

Originally Posted by RajuPatel
Kinda hard to know what the car is doing, not doing, and what you want it to do/not do, in the front and/or rear, from you description, but this is the problem I ran into "over the years", and why the config kept changing. It's not easy finding all the different road imperfections in one test ride, let alone the "combination" of imperfections, like your 1" rise then dip. However from your comment about preferring "lesser loading", followed by "saddle bronc ride", it sounds like you want the car both "firmer", and "more compliant". Again, I'm not familiar with the 718 value ranges, but it seems like the "Max Damper value" was higher (1900mA?) than the 981's (1650mA). If you're using 1100mA/1200mA F/R, maybe increase those values 100mA-200mA, "if you're looking for more compliance". And/or change the G-Comfort settings so the damping ranges start in earlier. I made a post about which value to change somewhere in the thread.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:30 AM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 176 Posts

Yeah, I had that. However one caveat is that I'm not sure how these settings will translate to the 718. That said, in general, the basic direction of the changes should apply. You may need to tweak values to your liking. The over setup makes driving over bumps more compliant, and the dampers compress more, and it reduces rebound speed to minimize that lifting action when coming out of dips. Overall ride is just more composed.
Let me know if the DL link doesn't work. I'm not good with google.

ColnagoG60's June 12, 2023 settings: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w0H...ew?usp=sharing

As always, "use at your own risk, etc. etc....".
@colnagoG60 Thank you for all your time and hard work on this project! Is this file for a V2 or V3 DSC controller? I'm working with a V2 controller on a 981 GT4 and would like to try your lates settings. If this is for a V3, Would you mind sharing what setting are included in this file?

Thank you,

Todd

Old 05-28-2024, 03:48 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Last_935
@colnagoG60 Thank you for all your time and hard work on this project! Is this file for a V2 or V3 DSC controller? I'm working with a V2 controller on a 981 GT4 and would like to try your lates settings. If this is for a V3, Would you mind sharing what setting are included in this file?

Thank you,

Todd
I want to say that both my controllers were V3? You looking for the "stock V3 calibration", or "my final"? Both mine had different settings as they were bought ~4yrs apart.
The following users liked this post:
Last_935 (06-18-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 12:39 PM
magidov
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Guys! Can anyone share default settings file for DSC v3 for 718 Cayman gt4, please? My PC was stolen and everything is now lost =(
Old 07-02-2024, 05:31 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by magidov
Hello Guys! Can anyone share default settings file for DSC v3 for 718 Cayman gt4, please? My PC was stolen and everything is now lost =(

Have you tried "calling" DSC Sport (aka TPC Racing)? At least at some point Tom had numerous iterations of calibration files saved. They may be able to help. I copied some 718 labeled files when they were available but I don't know if the files I have are "718" controller specific.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Controller - GT4 Settings