Sponsored by: APR

DSC Sport Controller - GT4 Settings

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 03:12 AM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
Just got a screenshot from DSC, showing how damping curve is affected by making a simple change. The plot is just or illustration purposes, and from another car. Per DSC, "...for holding the min value from 0 to 10% load." The graph is not available/integrated in customer software...yet? (Peer pressure )

IMO you've got it wrong - for better ride you need digressive slope not progressive.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:39 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 791 Posts

Just got a screenshot from DSC, showing how damping curve is affected by making a simple change. The plot is just or illustration purposes, and from another car. Per DSC, "...for holding the min value from 0 to 10% load." The graph is not available/integrated in customer software...yet? (Peer pressure )

Originally Posted by Croc999
IMO you've got it wrong - for better ride you need digressive slope not progressive.

Ok...but these are not my settings. Especially when the label on the chart says, "Raptor". I just posted to show the possibility of a new feature with the chart.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:43 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alipapa
Didn't know there is a new file until today, not sure if they ever really "announced" it?

But it isn't for 981/718 platform, right?

Thanks for posting

I wouldn't personally load a whole file from a different model...I'd just cherry pick some of the settings into one of my own, if its along the lines of something I hadn't tried, and only if they are within the range of what I can set on my controller.
Old 06-13-2022, 01:14 PM
Luca Paindelli
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 85 Posts

I was checking for updates on the DSC website and noticed that the grouping has changed. I now only see
  1. “RS” file 991/981/718 by TC For use with 2021-up V3 controllers only
  2. 991 GT3/RS “TOUR” For use with V3 controllers only. 2018 – 2020
Before I remember seeing different one between 718 and 981 as well as a different calibration for the TPC links.

The new calibrations seem to be referencing different files depending on the year of the module, no? How do I find out if my module is compatible with one or the other? Any description of the difference between the two calibrations? Thansk!
Old 06-13-2022, 01:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Luca Paindelli
I was checking for updates on the DSC website and noticed that the grouping has changed. I now only see
Before I remember seeing different one between 718 and 981 as well as a different calibration for the TPC links.

The new calibrations seem to be referencing different files depending on the year of the module, no? How do I find out if my module is compatible with one or the other? Any description of the difference between the two calibrations? Thansk!
as I recall from the DSC app you can open a "terminal window" to the DSC (when connected) and issue a cmd to print the f/w version of the h/w ... sorry to be so vague ... oh they have a video!

Last edited by Larry Cable; 06-13-2022 at 01:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
colnagoG60 (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 02:18 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Before I remember seeing different one between 718 and 981 as well as a different calibration for the TPC links...

Solid copy. I haven't been there in a while...no longer have the controller. However, do the 981 GT4, and 991 GT3/RS have the same spring rates? Curious how the ride would compare between the two, on the same file. I'd love a spin in a GT4 with stiffer springs...chickened out on installing my Swift ~420/520. My luck, I'd blow out the strut towers on the ride home from install. That, and I never did dial out that last bit of rear stiffness over bumps, at speed. I can't imagine "I'd" want anything stiffer for the rear, for the road.

Last edited by colnagoG60; 06-13-2022 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2022, 11:06 PM
Alipapa
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I feel the same, there are no longer a specific "718"/981" files. Kinda surprised that a shorter rear engine car use the same suspension mapping as a longer mid engine car, while I honestly felt a GT3RS is much more agile than my Spyder
Old 06-14-2022, 04:11 AM
DR.S
Banned

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Solid copy. I haven't been there in a while...no longer have the controller. However, do the 981 GT4, and 991 GT3/RS have the same spring rates? Curious how the ride would compare between the two, on the same file. I'd love a spin in a GT4 with stiffer springs...chickened out on installing my Swift ~420/520. My luck, I'd blow out the strut towers on the ride home from install. That, and I never did dial out that last bit of rear stiffness over bumps, at speed. I can't imagine "I'd" want anything stiffer for the rear, for the road.
Did you change your car or "give up" playing with the calibrations?
GT4 and RS have different spring rates but also different damper hardware.
A Bilstein engineer told me the 981 GT4 has "a bit harder" dampers in the front than the .2 RS, although spring rate of RS is more than double.
Since aftermarket coilover kits for the GT4 from KW, Oehlins,... have at least 50% higher spring rates in the back, this can not be the reason for your mentioned "stiffness over bumps issue"?!
Did you tried different levels of reducing high-speed compression (and rebound)?
Maybe it is just "the nature" of the car...
Old 06-14-2022, 10:44 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DR.S
Did you change your car or "give up" playing with the calibrations?
GT4 and RS have different spring rates but also different damper hardware.
A Bilstein engineer told me the 981 GT4 has "a bit harder" dampers in the front than the .2 RS, although spring rate of RS is more than double.
Since aftermarket coilover kits for the GT4 from KW, Oehlins,... have at least 50% higher spring rates in the back, this can not be the reason for your mentioned "stiffness over bumps issue"?!
Did you tried different levels of reducing high-speed compression (and rebound)?
Maybe it is just "the nature" of the car...
I thought I'd be selling the car at the time, and gave the controller to another rennlister, so just haven't had one to try to finally solve what I was experiencing, "if possible". I'm pretty certain I tried all options as far as the damper settings. The issue only arose over larger bumps, at speed...I just wish I could get a more balanced reaction between the front and rear.

Having driven the car for almost a year, without the DSC controller, I'm wondering if I had the "stuck valve" issue with the rears, which cause that initial abrasiveness, leading me to get the DSC Controller. The car feels much better over imperfections than when I first brought it home. I still much prefer my final settings with the DSC controller vs. stock however...much less drama when at speed.

Regarding the "nature" of the car, towards the end, i was leaning towards either the almost double spring rate of the rear vs. the front, or not enough travel in the rear (shorter bump stop maybe?). If either were implemented from factory for a reason, I didn't want to mess with the formula "the way I wanted to resolve", and end up with a wingless Audi TT situation. I was looking at going with say a 325lbs front, and 375lbs rear, to lessen some of the "fluttering" in the front over rippled sections, and calming down the rear over the larger bumps, and or shortening the rear bump stops about an inch (if possible) to allow more travel over bumps.
Old 09-14-2022, 02:56 PM
rbpeirce
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
for a few $'s in s/w you can install some virtualization s/w on a Mac and then run Windows in a VM on it ... this is what I do.
I tried Parallels on an M1 Mac and couldn't get it to recognize the USB cable. I finally used an almost dead-in-the-water PC my son had and it worked fine. I was just trying to zero out ride height but if I ever have the urge to fiddle I think I'll go one eBay and buy the cheapest PC I can find.
Old 09-14-2022, 03:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbpeirce
I tried Parallels on an M1 Mac and couldn't get it to recognize the USB cable. I finally used an almost dead-in-the-water PC my son had and it worked fine. I was just trying to zero out ride height but if I ever have the urge to fiddle I think I'll go one eBay and buy the cheapest PC I can find.
I got it to work with VMWare Fusion on my Mac ... just FYI (when you connect a USB device it asks you which computer to attach it to ... the Mac or the Windows VM

one thought to share with people - many of the PIWIS "kits" available online include a cheap windows PC as part of the package - could combine DSC app with PIWIS too!

Old 09-14-2022, 03:09 PM
rbpeirce
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I got it connected to the virtual PC and the PC software recognized it but the DSC software didn't. I think this had something to do with the USB interface in Parallels. VMWare may work better. I still think a cheap PC is probably the way to go if I ever have the urge too change anything.
Old 09-14-2022, 03:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbpeirce
I got it connected to the virtual PC and the PC software recognized it but the DSC software didn't. I think this had something to do with the USB interface in Parallels. VMWare may work better. I still think a cheap PC is probably the way to go if I ever have the urge too change anything.
agree - hence my suggestion to go with a PIWIS kit ... just in case you also want to mess with the car's options as well...
Old 09-15-2022, 12:59 AM
Alipapa
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I feel the same, there are no longer a specific "718"/981" files. Kinda surprised that a shorter rear engine car use the same suspension mapping as a longer mid engine car, while I honestly felt a GT3RS is much more agile than my Spyder
I also felt GT3RS is a much more agile car than my Spyder.

To a point where there is no comparison
Old 09-15-2022, 11:58 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Kinda surprised that a shorter rear engine car use the same suspension mapping as a longer mid engine car, while I honestly felt a GT3RS is much more agile than my Spyder
Please allow me to expand on the DSC controller's control logic and the naming of the DSC calibration files:

Yes, the GT4 is a different vehicle platform from GT3. In context to DSC's control logic, the OEM suspension hardware package(dampers, springs, sway bars, control arms, uprights, and subframes) are matched to each vehicle platform by the car manufacturer. Utilizing each OEM-matched vehicle platform package, DSC controls the dampers' output within their built-in operating range to g-force to improve weight distribution. Better weight distribution = better tire grip. The vehicle's balance to G-force and weight distribution is generally universal so DSC uses the same standard cal file for all 718/981 and 991 cars. The calibration can of course be custom tuned to meet personal preference of the driver via DSC Tuner software.

I think perhaps the name of the cal file "RS" might imply a specific car model but it really is just a name of file with two catchy/sporty sounding letters, something like Race-Sport

I also felt GT3RS is a much more agile car than my Spyder.

To a point where there is no comparison
Having driven both cars in stock form, it is my opinion that the GT3RS is a more agile car largely due to its electronic rear wheel steering.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 09-15-2022 at 12:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
colnagoG60 (09-15-2022)

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Controller - GT4 Settings