Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT3 & Akra Exhaust Notes

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018 | 08:55 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Default GT3 & Akra Exhaust Notes

Does the GT4 need a different exhaust? Probably not since the stock PSE is pretty epic on it's own but I figured I'd share my experiences swapping exhausts this year for anyone looking for a gift that won't go under the tree
FYI - I'm also running the DMS race headers with each of these systems

GT3rs Titanium Center Muffler w/ TPC Conversion Kit - https://www.tpcracing.com/product/ra...g-exhaust-kit/
I put some initial thoughts in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/1050...onversion.html
After putting on a bunch more miles and doing a road trip with the RS center I can say it is till too loud for me but I love it! It sounds totally different from the stock GT4, way more aggressive. You can hear every cylinder fire and you can feel the idle revs through the seat with the exhaust bolted to the car via the conversion bracket instead of suspended from OEM hangers. Clean, deeper, kinda like a motorcycle at idle and at WOT it just rips. In between idle and WOT though there are many new noises - a bucket of bolts racket on cold start, a little metallic rasp and rattle in the mid range, and some serious drone from 2k-3k rpm at anything more than light throttle. One welcome surprise is that the off throttle/overrun pops are actually muffled compared to stock. The stock PSE is basically two big cans with a crossover at the tips but the GT3 center is one big exhaust that both sides dump into. The result is that instead of the pops (gun fire with race headers) and burbles on the stock exhaust you get some funky gurgles and warbles instead. It sounds weird but I never loved the loud pops of the stock PSE post race headers, just too much attention, so this was a plus. Oh, and the power! Seat of the pants and later dyno proven there is a solid hp gain across the rev range and a decent weight savings too. For power, weight reduction, and shear exhaust volume this is the exhaust to get short of going to a straight pipe/bypass. It's not civilized but it has character. Unfortunately, I got flagged at 100+db at AMP so this isn't going to pass at many tracks with sound limits and even if it did, the drone on a long drive to and from the track is rough.

GT3 DMS Lifetime Center Muffler (orange/quiet) - https://www.dundonmotorsports.com/po...center-muffler
As luck would have it, two days after getting flagged for sound Dundon donated one of their Lifetime GT3 Center Mufflers to the Smokies silent auction for Cystic Fibrosis! The DMS guys sent me a quiet version of the exhaust a few weeks later and even made a custom set of longer tips which fit the GT4 perfectly. It's a tank of an exhaust after the GT3rs titanium box and is shockingly good at quieting down the exhaust note. Where I was right on (and sometimes over) the 92db limit at Tremblant running the stock PSE and DMS race headers, with the quiet/orange exhaust I skirted by... just... so probably 1-2db quieter than stock PSE. I'm thinking I might even pass sound at LRP with some turndowns. It's hard to believe the single DMS box is more effective than the stock dual PSE mufflers and yet, if I look down the big pipes, I can see an unobstructed path right to the tips! As far as sound goes, well, it sounds like the GT3rs exhaust inhaled a pillow or two so similar but muffled. There's still a little bit of drone which I think is a result of how the GT3 center is mounted and the pops and gurgles are even more suppressed so while it sounds fine, the orange version is really more functional than emotional. This is probably for folks that want to make a little more power but frequent a track where the stock PSE won't pass sound. While It worked as intended, I was back to wanting a louder exhaust once I got home.

Akrapovic GT4 Exhaust - http://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/prod...77&yearId=3987
Living in an apt without space for two exhausts let alone a garage to swap them as needed was going to be a PITA so obviously the right answer was to buy yet another exhaust. Fully titanium it is beautiful, with bolt on tips turn downs could be an option, and of course it sounds fantastic. Turn the stock PSE up to 11 and clean up the sound for a more crisp and harder edged tone, and you have something like what the Akra sounds like. It is a perfect upgrade to PSE, no drone, the gunshot pops and crackles are back (for better or worse), tips look great and sit perfectly, no rattles or cold start racket, no vibrations running through the chassis, it is a seriously well tuned and constructed piece with 3 mufflers vs the two of the stock PSE and the 1 of the GT3 center. Where the GT3RS exhaust sounded raw and mechanical, this adds some volume but the sound is refined, tight, tuned. It is silly expensive but it is a no compromise exhaust in that it is an upgrade in every way over the stock PSE from build quality, sound, drone, materials, weight, everything. Whereas the GT3 exhaust definitely sounds very different and has some NVH considerations, the Akra still sounds like a GT4... but better. If this dynos anywhere close to the GT3 exhaust on my car this will be the one but we'll see in a few weeks....
Old 11-26-2018 | 10:54 PM
khoahtran
Instructor

There is another option, running the akra gt3 center muffler with the tpc pipes. I’ve ridden in a gt4 setup like this and it basically preserves the gt3 sound and eliminates all drone.
Old 11-26-2018 | 10:54 PM
to_riffic_day
Racer

The Akra GT3 muffler is the best.
Old 11-26-2018 | 10:55 PM
khoahtran
Instructor

Originally Posted by to_riffic_day
The Akra GT3 muffler is the best.
haha yeah sounded awesome on your car
Old 11-27-2018 | 03:17 AM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by khoahtran
There is another option, running the akra gt3 center muffler with the tpc pipes. I’ve ridden in a gt4 setup like this and it basically preserves the gt3 sound and eliminates all drone.
Haha, sweet! How does it sound compared to the stock GT3 box!?
Old 11-27-2018 | 02:10 PM
to_riffic_day
Racer

Originally Posted by ajw45
Haha, sweet! How does it sound compared to the stock GT3 box!?
With stock box, it's loud and raspy. The Akra has some rasp to it, but it's toned down and the only way I can describe it is that it's "cleaner". Before the titanium muffler would give me a massive headache if I left the valves open, but with the Akra, you could leave them open and get around town whenever/however. Turn PSE off and it's even more civilized than the RS or steel box. I've got to post up my Akra GT3 muffler up soon.
Old 11-27-2018 | 04:50 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by to_riffic_day
With stock box, it's loud and raspy. The Akra has some rasp to it, but it's toned down and the only way I can describe it is that it's "cleaner". Before the titanium muffler would give me a massive headache if I left the valves open, but with the Akra, you could leave them open and get around town whenever/however. Turn PSE off and it's even more civilized than the RS or steel box. I've got to post up my Akra GT3 muffler up soon.
Sounds like my experience. Pm me if you decide to get rid of the Akra!
Old 11-28-2018 | 04:32 PM
RaceDevelopementCenter
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We also offer a GT3 exhaust conversion.. Please visit our site.. https://www.rennsport-one.com/shop/9...o-gt3-exhaust/ for more info and options.

More pictures and Videos can be seen here ... https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...3-exhaust.html

Old 01-01-2019 | 07:10 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

That seems like pretty good pricing for a full package!
Old 01-01-2019 | 11:14 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

I like that flex section before the 90 deg turn for the muffler...nice.
Will miss my 981 with this setup once I get the 718 GT4...as we all know we wont be able to use this setup.
Hopefully a new solution will be developed......need that sound back!
Old 01-02-2019 | 01:19 PM
911-140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RaceDevelopementCenter
We also offer a GT3 exhaust conversion.. Please visit our site.. https://www.rennsport-one.com/shop/9...o-gt3-exhaust/ for more info and options.

More pictures and Videos can be seen here ... https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...3-exhaust.html

I am trying to leave my GT4 as stock as possible mainly because its so perfect from the factory but this kit is making it hard to stick to the promise I made to myself .

Also thought you might want to change the wording on your site's Product Description is the Drone notes. It needs to have a "the" before muffler...and " Concern " not confirm .
Old 01-28-2019 | 10:52 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajw45
Does the GT4 need a different exhaust? Probably not since the stock PSE is pretty epic on it's own but I figured I'd share my experiences swapping exhausts this year for anyone looking for a gift that won't go under the tree
FYI - I'm also running the DMS race headers with each of these systems

GT3rs Titanium Center Muffler w/ TPC Conversion Kit - https://www.tpcracing.com/product/ra...g-exhaust-kit/
I put some initial thoughts in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/1050...onversion.html
After putting on a bunch more miles and doing a road trip with the RS center I can say it is till too loud for me but I love it! It sounds totally different from the stock GT4, way more aggressive. You can hear every cylinder fire and you can feel the idle revs through the seat with the exhaust bolted to the car via the conversion bracket instead of suspended from OEM hangers. Clean, deeper, kinda like a motorcycle at idle and at WOT it just rips. In between idle and WOT though there are many new noises - a bucket of bolts racket on cold start, a little metallic rasp and rattle in the mid range, and some serious drone from 2k-3k rpm at anything more than light throttle. One welcome surprise is that the off throttle/overrun pops are actually muffled compared to stock. The stock PSE is basically two big cans with a crossover at the tips but the GT3 center is one big exhaust that both sides dump into. The result is that instead of the pops (gun fire with race headers) and burbles on the stock exhaust you get some funky gurgles and warbles instead. It sounds weird but I never loved the loud pops of the stock PSE post race headers, just too much attention, so this was a plus. Oh, and the power! Seat of the pants and later dyno proven there is a solid hp gain across the rev range and a decent weight savings too. For power, weight reduction, and shear exhaust volume this is the exhaust to get short of going to a straight pipe/bypass. It's not civilized but it has character. Unfortunately, I got flagged at 100+db at AMP so this isn't going to pass at many tracks with sound limits and even if it did, the drone on a long drive to and from the track is rough.

GT3 DMS Lifetime Center Muffler (orange/quiet) - https://www.dundonmotorsports.com/po...center-muffler
As luck would have it, two days after getting flagged for sound Dundon donated one of their Lifetime GT3 Center Mufflers to the Smokies silent auction for Cystic Fibrosis! The DMS guys sent me a quiet version of the exhaust a few weeks later and even made a custom set of longer tips which fit the GT4 perfectly. It's a tank of an exhaust after the GT3rs titanium box and is shockingly good at quieting down the exhaust note. Where I was right on (and sometimes over) the 92db limit at Tremblant running the stock PSE and DMS race headers, with the quiet/orange exhaust I skirted by... just... so probably 1-2db quieter than stock PSE. I'm thinking I might even pass sound at LRP with some turndowns. It's hard to believe the single DMS box is more effective than the stock dual PSE mufflers and yet, if I look down the big pipes, I can see an unobstructed path right to the tips! As far as sound goes, well, it sounds like the GT3rs exhaust inhaled a pillow or two so similar but muffled. There's still a little bit of drone which I think is a result of how the GT3 center is mounted and the pops and gurgles are even more suppressed so while it sounds fine, the orange version is really more functional than emotional. This is probably for folks that want to make a little more power but frequent a track where the stock PSE won't pass sound. While It worked as intended, I was back to wanting a louder exhaust once I got home.

Akrapovic GT4 Exhaust - http://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/prod...77&yearId=3987
Living in an apt without space for two exhausts let alone a garage to swap them as needed was going to be a PITA so obviously the right answer was to buy yet another exhaust. Fully titanium it is beautiful, with bolt on tips turn downs could be an option, and of course it sounds fantastic. Turn the stock PSE up to 11 and clean up the sound for a more crisp and harder edged tone, and you have something like what the Akra sounds like. It is a perfect upgrade to PSE, no drone, the gunshot pops and crackles are back (for better or worse), tips look great and sit perfectly, no rattles or cold start racket, no vibrations running through the chassis, it is a seriously well tuned and constructed piece with 3 mufflers vs the two of the stock PSE and the 1 of the GT3 center. Where the GT3RS exhaust sounded raw and mechanical, this adds some volume but the sound is refined, tight, tuned. It is silly expensive but it is a no compromise exhaust in that it is an upgrade in every way over the stock PSE from build quality, sound, drone, materials, weight, everything. Whereas the GT3 exhaust definitely sounds very different and has some NVH considerations, the Akra still sounds like a GT4... but better. If this dynos anywhere close to the GT3 exhaust on my car this will be the one but we'll see in a few weeks....
Thinking about the Dundon muffler option with cats. Anymore opinions now you’ve had it for awhile? How do you think the lifetime muffler, cats and race headers would sound? Honestly, I want quiet... lol
Old 01-28-2019 | 11:00 AM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

I'm soon to install Dundon's mid pipes WITH cats and Steel GT3 muffler to accompany my Dundon race headers. Will let you know how that combo works out. I am looking to bring the current volume down a bit (race headers w/ PSE)
Old 01-28-2019 | 11:06 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SGOGT4
I'm soon to install Dundon's mid pipes WITH cats and Steel GT3 muffler to accompany my Dundon race headers. Will let you know how that combo works out. I am looking to bring the current volume down a bit (race headers w/ PSE)
cool... looking forward to sound clips. I want to go this route because of cost but I have a feeling it’s going to be loud. I really don’t want to spend $3500 bucks on a muffler versus $500. Lol
Old 01-28-2019 | 04:02 PM
One911
Instructor

Thanks for this write up!

Quick Reply: GT3 & Akra Exhaust Notes