Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Mounting Schro 6 point harness in Cayman GT4

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 09:22 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Not to derail the thread too much, but would you folks care to share why you choose the Scroth 6 point over the Scroth 4 point with ASM designed for the LWBs?
Old 01-20-2018, 09:32 AM
hdavidson
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I’m not very familiar with harness setups. For those that are more street focused with only the occasional track event, wouldn’t Schroth’s 4 point harness designed for the GT3/GT4 be a good option? It’s seems like it would eliminate the need for the sub bar and be less invasive when you’re not using it.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:41 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hdavidson
I’m not very familiar with harness setups. For those that are more street focused with only the occasional track event, wouldn’t Schroth’s 4 point harness designed for the GT3/GT4 be a good option? It’s seems like it would eliminate the need for the sub bar and be less invasive when you’re not using it.
I plan on doing 6-7 events a year, so I might just go with the 4 point full time since it is approved for most track events and street use in the US. I’m sure it’s not as safe as a 6 point, but I hear the ASM works as advertised. But I would like to hear from some more experience folks.

https://www.schrothracing.com/produc...sche-harnesses
Old 01-20-2018, 09:50 AM
hdavidson
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free

I plan on doing 6-7 events a year, so I might just go with the 4 point full time since it is approved for most track events and street use in the US. I’m sure it’s not as safe as a 6 point, but I hear the ASM works as advertised. But I would like to hear from some more experience folks.

https://www.schrothracing.com/produc...sche-harnesses
Thats what I was thinking too. So would you use the 4 point on the street? I’m sure it’s safer than the factory belt but surely a lot more restrictive?
Old 01-20-2018, 09:56 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Thats what I was thinking too. So would you use the 4 point on the street? I’m sure it’s safer than the factory belt but surely a lot more restrictive?
My GT4 is a purely track/weekend toy, so I plan on using the four point I suppose...
Old 01-20-2018, 10:40 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,058 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
Why so?
The Cantrell mount has a more substantial bar for mounting the straps and appears to be stiffer. The BBi is a piece of flat stock with a laser cut elongated slot and a small rod welded in for the strap. My concern is the cut edges coming into contact with the strap. Take a look at both.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:38 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

4pt doesn't work great on the street. You can't turn around to reverse, you can't grab a burger at the drive through, and you can't reach your license and registration in the glove compartment when you get pulled over and then you have to explain to the cop how these are in fact dot approved cause of the ASM feature.

They also don't use the oem lap belt pretensioner in an accident or the airbags so...
Old 01-20-2018, 11:46 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Five12Free
Not to derail the thread too much, but would you folks care to share why you choose the Scroth 6 point over the Scroth 4 point with ASM designed for the LWBs?
I think 4pts with ASM are great, perfect for occasional de use. I went with 6pts and a bar because:

1. 4pts hadn't been released at the time
2. Many people are misinformed that schroth 4pts with ASM are dot approved and usable for most de events and okay for use with nonreclining shell seats without a rollbar and I hate having to explain that over and over again.
3. I'd feel safer using a hans with a rollbar and at that point might as well go 6pt

Last edited by ajw45; 01-20-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:04 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
The Cantrell mount has a more substantial bar for mounting the straps and appears to be stiffer. The BBi is a piece of flat stock with a laser cut elongated slot and a small rod welded in for the strap. My concern is the cut edges coming into contact with the strap. Take a look at both.
Thanks!

4 points are illegal at our track here in Colorado (high plains).
Old 01-20-2018, 01:00 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajw45
I think 4pts with ASM are great, perfect for occasional de use. I went with 6pts and a bar because:

1. 4pts hasn't been released at the time
2. Many people are misinformed that 4pts are dot approved and usable for most de events and okay for use with nonreclining shell seats workout a rollbar and I hate having to explain that over and over again.
3. I'd feel safer using a hans with a rollbar and at that point might as well go 6pt
thanks for the insight.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:12 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Buteo

Thanks!

4 points are illegal at our track here in Colorado (high plains).
Do you know if that's all 4pts? Do they allow the oem 3pt belts? Some of the confusion around 4pts is that standard old style 4pts are often not approved in many places however the schroth 4pts with ASM are really more like an oem 3pt. Since the schroth 4pts are dot approved (most other 4pts are not) they should be allowed to run anywhere oem 3pt belts are allowed....

It's a nuanced difference to be sure... Which is why I went 6pt. Navigating the difference between dot approved 4pt with ASM vs generic 4pt is a pita...
Old 01-20-2018, 01:32 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
Do you know if that's all 4pts? Do they allow the oem 3pt belts? Some of the confusion around 4pts is that standard old style 4pts are often not approved in many places however the schroth 4pts with ASM are really more like an oem 3pt. Since the schroth 4pts are dot approved (most other 4pts are not) they should be allowed to run anywhere oem 3pt belts are allowed....

It's a nuanced difference to be sure... Which is why I went 6pt. Navigating the difference between dot approved 4pt with ASM vs generic 4pt is a pita...
Standard 3 pt are allowed.

I believe all 4 pts are not allowed, new as of Jan 2017(I think).
Old 01-21-2018, 12:33 PM
ccibo72
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Make sure you get the gt3 belts, they'll have the proper end sewn in for the laps. They'll come with the 2 and 3 bar hardware to wrap the sub and shoulders, you'll remove the clip in hardware and set aside. Btw, I have this exact setup and makes a world of difference in track, don't forget a HANS (I use a SHR flex head and neck restraint).
Old 01-22-2018, 08:15 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

I run 6 point on the driver side and 4 point on the passenger side. I'm an instructor and no ones rides with me unless they request it and I agree and I advise them of the 4 point. There's no slot in the passenger seat for a 6 point and I didn't want to cut up my LWBS. That said, I thinki 4 point is better than 3 point but it will not be compatible with HANS.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:37 AM
roders
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Proper Factory Harness Mounting Points

Factory Harness Mounting Part Numbers

Quick Reply: Mounting Schro 6 point harness in Cayman GT4