Sponsored by: APR

Mounting Schro 6 point harness in Cayman GT4

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2024, 01:39 AM
Dorian C
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Last_935
@Dorian C I have the Brey Krause kit which I installed myself. I have no issues with it having any play or being noisy. Sounds like there may be an installation issue with your friend's kit. I would have him check it as there should be no play and may be a safety issue. Harness mounting points should be very secure.
Thank you. I ordered one already but it doesn't seem to come with the bracket for the harness strap to strap onto the Brey Krause kit. Is that normal?

https://perryautolaval.com/products/...in-bracket-b24
Old 06-07-2024, 10:37 AM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Dorian C
Thank you. I ordered one already but it doesn't seem to come with the bracket for the harness strap to strap onto the Brey Krause kit. Is that normal?

https://perryautolaval.com/products/...in-bracket-b24
@Dorian C That was my experience as well. I had to purchase them seporately.
Old 07-03-2024, 04:13 PM
Dorian C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roders
The mounting holes should be there from factory if your car has the ClubSport (Half Cage Optioned).
Just remove the carpet and screw these in. See below is what comes in the kits.
4x U-Shaped brackets, 4x Horizontal Bars, 4x Horizontal Bolts, 8x Bolts for mounting to the Chassis.

Mounting Kit Parts & close up of install points behind the seats.
Would anyone have the part numbers for these? I have seen that photo from different angle multiple times but none of them were clear enough to show the part numbers. Thank you.
Old 07-03-2024, 10:18 PM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 54 Posts

One for left side, and one for right side (can't remember which is which, so just double check). Keep in mind these mounting brackets are meant for cars that are spec'd with Clubsport package that may only be available to RoW. Cars that were not spec'd with Clubsport package from the get go do not have the threaded holes to mount these brackets on to.

The harness' part number is 98180301680

Last edited by KingSize.Hamster; 07-03-2024 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-03-2024, 10:54 PM
Dorian C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alpha.GT4

One for left side, and one for right side (can't remember which is which, so just double check). Keep in mind these mounting brackets are meant for cars that are spec'd with Clubsport package that may only be available to RoW. Cars that were not spec'd with Clubsport package from the get go do not have the threaded holes to mount these brackets on to.

The harness' part number is 98180301680

You are just amazing. Thank you so much. I assume I will need two of 981.803.016.80

I see that you are from Hong Kong? Would you know of a dealer or parts dealer who can source this there? I have relatives in hong Kong at the moment who can help me with these.

Much appreciated.
Old 07-04-2024, 12:37 AM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

You are just amazing. Thank you so much. I assume I will need two of 981.803.016.80

I see that you are from Hong Kong? Would you know of a dealer or parts dealer who can source this there? I have relatives in hong Kong at the moment who can help me with these.

Much appreciated.
Oh yes. You will need two of the 981.803.016.80 (6 point harness) if you want both driver and passenger seats to have it. The factory version of the harness (or more like Porsche specific one) from Schroth has the sub straps mounted to the floor of the car. So you don't need to get a sub-bar or anything provided your car had the holes from the factory.

The usual design911, ECS, Suncoast, Sunset etc should be able to to source these parts for you. Likely they are special order parts, so will need to wait a bit. To be frank, the market is so small in Hong Kong that most people (including myself) just end up ordering a lot of parts from those shops in US/UK, as most of the parts aren't stored in inventory here except for usual wear & tear parts. The local Porsche distributor (or dealer, as there is only one in the city) just orders these from Germany anyway. Sometimes prices are quite a bit more than prices from those website. So a lot of the local mechanical shops just tell customers to source the parts from UK/US themselves.

Good luck !

Last edited by KingSize.Hamster; 07-04-2024 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-07-2024, 10:09 PM
freaknbigpanda
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KingSize.Hamster
Oh yes. You will need two of the 981.803.016.80 (6 point harness) if you want both driver and passenger seats to have it. The factory version of the harness (or more like Porsche specific one) from Schroth has the sub straps mounted to the floor of the car. So you don't need to get a sub-bar or anything provided your car had the holes from the factory.

The usual design911, ECS, Suncoast, Sunset etc should be able to to source these parts for you. Likely they are special order parts, so will need to wait a bit. To be frank, the market is so small in Hong Kong that most people (including myself) just end up ordering a lot of parts from those shops in US/UK, as most of the parts aren't stored in inventory here except for usual wear & tear parts. The local Porsche distributor (or dealer, as there is only one in the city) just orders these from Germany anyway. Sometimes prices are quite a bit more than prices from those website. So a lot of the local mechanical shops just tell customers to source the parts from UK/US themselves.

Good luck !
This is tangentially related but I am looking to convert my non-clubsport us car into a RoW clubsport car and I am currently looking for a place to source the half cage, do you know where I could find it or what the part number is?
Old 07-07-2024, 11:10 PM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Originally Posted by freaknbigpanda
This is tangentially related but I am looking to convert my non-clubsport us car into a RoW clubsport car and I am currently looking for a place to source the half cage, do you know where I could find it or what the part number is?
In terms of sourcing the cage itself, I would start with the typical US vendors like Suncoast, Sunset etc first, and then try Design911, Teile, etc if needed. However, that's not the biggest hurdle.

The 981/982 GT4's Clubsport package has the rear cage mounted to bespoke attachment points that are only provided if the car was spec'd with the Clubsport package from the get go. The mounting points looks like a cubical platform that sticks out at where the floor and the firewall meets (see photo attached below)

These mounting points do have part numbers, but I was told it's not easy to mount these platforms on to the car's floor either given the materials used. On top of that, I am not sure if you could really source this particular part. I wouldn't fabricate one myself either. No one has precise measurement of this mounting platform, and any differences in measurement could cause the cage not sit properly or other attachment points of the cage (i.e. the part going into the trunk) to not sit properly.

You are far better off just getting a rear roll bar from a reputable shop in the US (quite a few are sponsors of this forum) instead of trying to retrofit the factory one. You will still need to sort out sub strap bar and something to hold on to the shoulder straps with the factory cage if you go that far, and the these aftermarket vendors seem to have pretty robust solutions for what most people would need. The Clubsport package shoulder straps are attached to 4 mounting points (2 on each side) which are threaded and provided to cars with Clubsport package only as well (pic below as well).

Photo of mounting point for lower part of rear cage from factory (taken out from another post Rennlist Photo)

Photo of should strap mounting point hardware from factory (photo from Internet)

Last edited by KingSize.Hamster; 07-07-2024 at 11:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
freaknbigpanda (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 12:26 AM
Dorian C
Rennlist Member

These aren’t available new. Your best source is eBay. It has to come out of a wrecked gt4. You have to buy the base mount (shown in the photo). That part is supposed to be rivoted or welded to the frame. So whoever sells the cage must be willing to unweld or unrivet them from the old car for you.
The following users liked this post:
freaknbigpanda (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 11:25 AM
freaknbigpanda
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In terms of sourcing the cage itself, I would start with the typical US vendors like Suncoast, Sunset etc first, and then try Design911, Teile, etc if needed. However, that's not the biggest hurdle.

The 981/982 GT4's Clubsport package has the rear cage mounted to bespoke attachment points that are only provided if the car was spec'd with the Clubsport package from the get go. The mounting points looks like a cubical platform that sticks out at where the floor and the firewall meets (see photo attached below)

These mounting points do have part numbers, but I was told it's not easy to mount these platforms on to the car's floor either given the materials used. On top of that, I am not sure if you could really source this particular part. I wouldn't fabricate one myself either. No one has precise measurement of this mounting platform, and any differences in measurement could cause the cage not sit properly or other attachment points of the cage (i.e. the part going into the trunk) to not sit properly.

You are far better off just getting a rear roll bar from a reputable shop in the US (quite a few are sponsors of this forum) instead of trying to retrofit the factory one. You will still need to sort out sub strap bar and something to hold on to the shoulder straps with the factory cage if you go that far, and the these aftermarket vendors seem to have pretty robust solutions for what most people would need. The Clubsport package shoulder straps are attached to 4 mounting points (2 on each side) which are threaded and provided to cars with Clubsport package only as well (pic below as well).

These aren’t available new. Your best source is eBay. It has to come out of a wrecked gt4. You have to buy the base mount (shown in the photo). That part is supposed to be rivoted or welded to the frame. So whoever sells the cage must be willing to unweld or unrivet them from the old car for you.
You can get after market brackets as shown in those photos from silver rocket racing since they had to make reproductions for their carbon fiber rollbar. I believe they are the exact same dimensions as the factory ones but I would have check on this.

Does anybody know what the part number is for the half cage? I can call around and try to find one in Europe somewhere. It is probably true that I will end up going with a 3rd party cage from a US manufacturer like bbi or cantrell but if the factory porsche bar is cheap then I would rather go with that.
Old 07-09-2024, 12:59 AM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Does anybody know what the part number is for the half cage? I can call around and try to find one in Europe somewhere. It is probably true that I will end up going with a 3rd party cage from a US manufacturer like bbi or cantrell but if the factory porsche bar is cheap then I would rather go with that.
Unfortunately I don't. I only know the front-cage is 98158010380 . You could reach out to Teile or other online vendors that carry the front-section of the cage to see if they have any stock of the rear section lying around.

Alternatively, you could try and see if this eBay post is still active: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385870199764

If you don't mind, do let us know what the part number is for the rear section of the cage for future references.

Thanks

Old Yesterday, 04:12 AM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Much appreciated.
My bad, I just realized I typed the wrong part number for the harness. To correct:

981.803.015.80 (Left side harness mounting hardware)
981.803.016.80 (Right side harness mounting hardware)
981.803.017.80 (6 Point harness, one part number for one set of harness for one seat)

You might be able to get the 6 point harness for cheaper if you are able to find the Schroth version. I'm not 100% sure; looks like this is the set that Porsche uses: https://www.design911.com/p/schroth-...urce=doofinder

Also, I checked. The Porsche mounting hardware for shoulder straps is not available from pretty much all of the popular online vendors from the US. These parts are from the "Motorsport" department, and Porsche likely won't let dealers/vendors order these without a corresponding VIN. My guess is, the tricky part is that USDM cars don't get Clubsport package, so likely US vendors won't be able to get hold of them (not sure if Clubsport variant uses same part number).

So, just FYI ...

Last edited by KingSize.Hamster; Yesterday at 05:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Mounting Schro 6 point harness in Cayman GT4