Sponsored by: APR

Poor guy craving a Cayman in CT

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 08:56 PM
cravencayman
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor guy craving a Cayman in CT

Is anyone able to let me use a Cayman on the road, or at the track(Limerock) at all? I would really like to purchase one, but unfortunately do not have enough money. I could pay a couple thousand down and then a couple hundred per month, but that would be about the maximum I could afford if purchasing. I realize this is asking a lot and if someone has the ability to lend me a Cayman or sell one to me at a discount I would be very appreciative and in debt to them for helping me. I am willing to work for it and do not expect a handout. I can do any type of work for you that you like. I would really like to take a Cayman on the track to see what it could do also, but if someone is lending me the car I would baby the car if that is what they wanted. If someone goes to LimeRock I would really like to learn more about the car and possibly work on one also. Thank you for taking the time to read this and even considering this. If I never ask it will never happen. Thank you again, Brett.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:47 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i want my click back
Old 01-09-2018, 02:09 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Can't think of anything snarky or clever to say here. Just, nice try I guess?
Old 01-09-2018, 02:32 PM
extanker
Banned

i could/can/should but i will get modded by da mods
Old 01-09-2018, 05:07 PM
cravencayman
5th Gear

Ha, clicks are non-refundable. You didn't read the small print. Sorry about that. I just have passion for Cayman's but do not have the means.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:14 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Taking your post seriously for a moment, what you are asking (1) is not likely to happen and (2) is a clear indicator that you have not done any homework into the real cost of Caymans or any other Porsches. From your content, I will assume you are fairly young and may not have a lot of experience in cars. From your description of your financial resources, I think most here would strongly suggest you consider an older Miata as a learner car. You can buy a car and maintain it for about the cost of a Porsche major service, maybe a bit more. Also if you are not flaky and are reliable, you might consider volunteering at autocrosses and/or track days. This way you get some exposure and education. Okay, I've now given you a straight answer. If you are sincere, good luck. If not, find another board to troll.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:49 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,182 Posts

I cannot see myself lending you my Cayman S Track Car. I just love it too much. Nothing personal.
I do want to help you though as you seem like a really nice and sincere guy.
Would you take my Blue 918 Spyder instead? I'll be at LRP April 4th and 5th. Find me and I'll let you take the 918 for a few laps.
Sorry, but the Cayman is off limits to strangers. You're welcome to the 918 though, but only for those 2 days.
Look for this car, introduce yourself (my name is Elvis, what's yours?) and you can take it out for a session or two:

Old 01-09-2018, 10:04 PM
cfiiman
Instructor

Originally Posted by dgrobs
I cannot see myself lending you my Cayman S Track Car. I just love it too much. Nothing personal.
I do want to help you though as you seem like a really nice and sincere guy.
Would you take my Blue 918 Spyder instead? I'll be at LRP April 4th and 5th. Find me and I'll let you take the 918 for a few laps.
Sorry, but the Cayman is off limits to strangers. You're welcome to the 918 though, but only for those 2 days.
Look for this car, introduce yourself (my name is Elvis, what's yours?) and you can take it out for a session or two:

LMAO
Old 01-10-2018, 11:33 AM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Isn't Elvis the guy who has always "just left the building?"

I have a Cayman, and I will happily swap for even a passenger lap in a 918. I don't think that I am ever going to befriend someone with those means.

@RWPinNC's post was most generous, and very good info.That is likely the most sensible advice I have seen in a long time.

Doing the exact same thing, just shopping for a Miata project to noodle with as a third car that wasn't a motorcycle, got me into the Miata that worked best for me: a 944. Which led me to PCA meets, and into a Cayman. It's as good a place to start as any, especially for those of us with modest resources.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:57 PM
cravencayman
5th Gear

Thank you very much for the advice NWPinNC. I think my chances of getting a Cayman has left the building along with Elvis, lol. I figured I would ask as nothing happens if you do not ask. thanks, but the 918 does not do it for me(Yeah right). I like the Caymans and could actually afford the insurance if I had one. I will probably go to Limerock for the Autocross in April just to poke around and se if I could learn anything. I already have tickets for the race on Memorial Day Weekend so that should be fun. I went to Limerick last year for the Ferrari car show and race and loved every minute of it. It is so nice up there I even enjoyed the ride to Limerock. I think I need to be a girl and get a sugar daddy so I can get a Cayman!
Old 01-10-2018, 07:12 PM
extanker
Banned

dude....i feel your pain.......you can use my car.....pm me for the details about sending me CASH first and i will tell you where to leave it on the side of the road
Old 01-12-2018, 10:50 AM
firefoxUSSR
3rd Gear

https://exoticcars.enterprise.com/en...-cayman-s.html
Old 01-13-2018, 03:11 PM
cravencayman
5th Gear

Thanks FirefoxUSSR, but the closest location they have with a Cayman is NC. I looked for other exotic rentals and also Turo and no Caymans were close. They did have a couple 911's in NYC for a few hundred a day which is great, but I REALLY want to drive a Cayman, and hopefully own a used one in the future. Thanks again for taking the time to reply and send the link.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:23 PM
jsykes
Advanced

Here you go. A couple thousand down and a couple hundred a month as mentioned in your original post could get you this.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...elCode1=CAYMAN

Or maybe this.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...elCode1=CAYMAN

They're out there. Look and save for it.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:26 PM
cravencayman
5th Gear

Thanks jsykes. Wow that's the lowest price I have seen on a Cayman. I don't think I could get a loan for a car that old with that many miles on it from a private owner, and I'm sure a used car dealer is going to charge a high interest rate making the payment too much, but it gives me something to shoot for. I can save a little more and this is realistic. I appreciate your input and think I may be able to get this done. I would like to take it on the track at least once to see how well they handle, but I'm sure that is expensive too so will have to save for that too, but I have hope now, lol.

Quick Reply: Poor guy craving a Cayman in CT