Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 06:16 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 151 Posts

I agree Miami would look great on the GT4. If I get an allocation that's what I'm getting. I worry lizard will be reserved for 911 only . I can see them offering the same colors as the 718 and nothing new.

Did you guys typically order navigation on the 981 gt4? With phones these days I'm wondering if it's even worth it. Any other advantages other than navigation?
Old 03-29-2019, 06:31 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

Received 159 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by MEM82
I agree Miami would look great on the GT4. If I get an allocation that's what I'm getting. I worry lizard will be reserved for 911 only . I can see them offering the same colors as the 718 and nothing new.

Did you guys typically order navigation on the 981 gt4? With phones these days I'm wondering if it's even worth it. Any other advantages other than navigation?
I think I'd probably go for lizard if offered. Otherwise Miami most likely.

I don't care to get nav at all. If they still offer CarPlay standalone then I'm doing that again (did it on my current 718 S). You do miss out on the lapping features where it records your data using the cars own system, but I'm fine just using my phone for track stuff.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:55 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 664 Posts

I agree that wheels are an easy after-market fix.

As for color I also like Miami Blue and hope for some "fun" colors. PTS would be ideal although with the new higher price it's a tough sell (but that depends on the available color choices).

Re NAV - I skipped it in my current GT4 and don't miss it. Hubby loves NAV and would spec it on every car if he had his way (we often agree but not always, and the GT4 was more about me and spec'd as I wish - our RS was more about him and spec'd as he wanted....and so it goes....). The one advantage to having NAV in the car is that you have a second, somewhat large map. He makes this point all the time and I have to agree, when we are navigating using WAZE or whatever...it can be very convenient to have a second map on the dash which is bigger and easily zoomed in/out. We can also do this with a second phone (when there are two people in the car) or a NAV device like garmin - but having it on the dash is handy. The question is whether it's worth the extra $$$ to have a map, since the NAV function is more or less outmoded when the car is delivered. I have yet to find a built in NAV that's as easy to work as the apps on the iPhone. But a second map comes in handy every so often although I don't usually miss it when I'm by myself in the GT4. The phone gets me where I want to go.

Regarding those interior vents - I cannot stand them and it might be enough to keep me from buying the car. Wheels are easy to fix. Vents not so much! That was an internet photo - can't recall from where. I did a quick search. It might have been a Suncoast stock photo but not sure
Old 03-29-2019, 11:05 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the nav comments!
Old 03-30-2019, 12:24 AM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Got an invite from my dealer for the evening VIP preview for the NYIAS. He confirmed GT4 and Speedster should be making their debut there. Psyched to go see them in the flesh!
Old 03-30-2019, 01:30 AM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

[QUOTE=needmoregarage;15738328] hope for some "fun" colors. PTS would be ideal although with the new higher price it's a tough sell[QUOTE]

I still think they could offer a new set of colors, "Historic Colors" such as Mexico Blue, Yellow Green, Light Green, Aubergine, Acid Blue, Strawberry, Gulf Orange, Gulf Blue
a selection of four or five historic or "fun" colors priced at a premium of say $2500 would be perfect for a GT car and help reduce the PTS fiasco of not knowing when or how to get PTS, let alone paying $11,430 for a paint job (obviously not going to happen)

Basic Color Options (free) Red, Yellow, Black & White
Metallic Options ($750) Silver, Gray, Bright Blue, Dark Blue
Historic (fun) Colors ($2500) Mexico Blue, Aubergine, Strawberry, Light Green, Dark Green
Premium Colors ($3250) Lizard Green, Lava Orange, Carmine Red, Miami Blue, Chalk

the lack of fun colors is one reason why everyone wants PTS
give us more fun colors=much less disruption from PTS
Old 03-30-2019, 01:55 AM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
Got an invite from my dealer for the evening VIP preview for the NYIAS. He confirmed GT4 and Speedster should be making their debut there. Psyched to go see them in the flesh!
Thanks!! Looks like I'll be heading to the show now
Old 03-30-2019, 10:14 AM
JAhmed
Drifting

Received 1,900 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
Spyder also?
Old 03-30-2019, 10:59 AM
Teo
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

from PFF:

Old 03-30-2019, 11:18 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 597 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
I agree that wheels are an easy after-market fix.

As for color I also like Miami Blue and hope for some "fun" colors. PTS would be ideal although with the new higher price it's a tough sell (but that depends on the available color choices).

Re NAV - I skipped it in my current GT4 and don't miss it. Hubby loves NAV and would spec it on every car if he had his way (we often agree but not always, and the GT4 was more about me and spec'd as I wish - our RS was more about him and spec'd as he wanted....and so it goes....). The one advantage to having NAV in the car is that you have a second, somewhat large map. He makes this point all the time and I have to agree, when we are navigating using WAZE or whatever...it can be very convenient to have a second map on the dash which is bigger and easily zoomed in/out. We can also do this with a second phone (when there are two people in the car) or a NAV device like garmin - but having it on the dash is handy. The question is whether it's worth the extra $$$ to have a map, since the NAV function is more or less outmoded when the car is delivered. I have yet to find a built in NAV that's as easy to work as the apps on the iPhone. But a second map comes in handy every so often although I don't usually miss it when I'm by myself in the GT4. The phone gets me where I want to go.

Regarding those interior vents - I cannot stand them and it might be enough to keep me from buying the car. Wheels are easy to fix. Vents not so much! That was an internet photo - can't recall from where. I did a quick search. It might have been a Suncoast stock photo but not sure
The new PCM that Porsche has started using since 2017 works really well with Apple iPhone. We have it on our Boxster and GTS Cayman and is just an extended map.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:25 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by Teo
That Spyder at the beginning is PDK!
Old 03-30-2019, 11:27 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
That Spyder at the beginning is PDK!
Cool!

Now im torn betwen a manual or PDK for a sunday driver Spyder!
Old 03-30-2019, 11:29 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Cool!

Now im torn betwen a manual or PDK for a sunday driver Spyder!
You already have the PDK on the CSs how about a manual when not racing?
Old 03-30-2019, 11:52 AM
JAhmed
Drifting

Received 1,900 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Teo
GT4 passes by at 9:25
Old 03-30-2019, 11:57 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Teo
That's no Boxster 6 -- has the PITA manual top.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?