Sponsored by: Silver Rocket

Track day vs competition

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 09:14 PM
Hex
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Track day vs competition

I am a total newbie to driving on track with a proper race car. I just ordered a 718 CS track day brand new. I have studied the differences between the track day and competition and chose the track day for ease of operation. That is the shocks are fixed and don’t require a tech to get them set to the optimum settings, no brake bias ****, etc. I plan on doing track days and doing some pca sprint racing. Is the track day missing anything I need? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:53 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

depends what you are coming out of and what you are used to.

If your first race car then probably a good call. I also look at resale values later too.

If you drive a couple events a year you will grow into the car and the brake bias and adjustable shocks are not overwhelming as you ease into it. A decent race shop can prep your car well enough to give you a safe and balanced car that you can adjust in the future as you get more comfortable with the car and/or home track.

If you keep a couple of track notes you can work from the base set up, but always fall back when needed
Old 01-06-2021, 10:00 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

Curious - did you order to the Manthey Racing version with the lightweight parts, or the standard version through PCNA?
Old 01-06-2021, 11:08 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Hex
I am a total newbie to driving on track with a proper race car. I just ordered a 718 CS track day brand new. I have studied the differences between the track day and competition and chose the track day for ease of operation. That is the shocks are fixed and don’t require a tech to get them set to the optimum settings, no brake bias ****, etc. I plan on doing track days and doing some pca sprint racing. Is the track day missing anything I need? Thanks in advance.
I had the same thought and bought the Track day. I also thought in a year or two I could upgrade the shocks and brake booster if I wanted. Looking back if I did it over I might stretch to the Comp model. The larger fuel tank would be nice to have. Also I'm not certain but just looking at the tank and brake booster I don't think the balance beam setup is compatible with the 80l tank if you wanted to upgrade later. On the plus side the Track model has the full fire system and airjacks. On PCA racing I am not sure as haven't raced with them but I think the car would be in GTD-2 with 718 Comp and MR versions so would be at a disadvantage. Shocks could be upgraded. Not sure how much difference the brake bias adjustment might make. Probably driver skill/ experience is the biggest variable.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:10 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 115 Posts

I also just purchased a Trackday and really wanted a Competition model but decided I could fix the shortcomings of the trackday model for well under the price differential. I started by buying MCS 3 way dampers. The one other item I wanted was the competition removable steering wheel. This would have made egress a little easier for my large frame. I was shocked to find Porsche wanted 10K for the parts.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:17 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
I also just purchased a Trackday and really wanted a Competition model but decided I could fix the shortcomings of the trackday model for well under the price differential. I started by buying MCS 3 way dampers. The one other item I wanted was the competition removable steering wheel. This would have made egress a little easier for my large frame. I was shocked to find Porsche wanted 10K for the parts.
I haven't installed it yet but I got a OMP quick release ODS024/B for $400 from Stable Energies.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:09 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
I haven't installed it yet but I got a OMP quick release ODS024/B for $400 from Stable Energies.
‘this issue is going to be the buttons. You ideally don’t want to wheel to detach but still have the curly cord attached.

I built my own fully removable wheel using a krontec QR. it ain’t easy but is doable. Pics attached.

Old 01-07-2021, 12:23 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 115 Posts

Teams have had problems with the detachable wheels. It seems the manufacturer did not provide enough strain relief for the wires and this is where the failures occur.

38D nice work, I will need to look into doing the same.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:35 PM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Took the same approach (not as elaborate as 38D) on my 981 MR. Taller driver so I added the connectorized Krontec quick release vs. using a pig tail. Came in handy when they extracted me from the car, highly recommend a quick release steering wheel.

Old 01-08-2021, 03:07 PM
Hex
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 54 Posts

Wow. What an amazing thread. There is so much information on the CS forum.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:34 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

The track day is perfect fun as a track time car to lap or club race. It has the smaller gas tank and the GT2 street car brake booster which makes transitioning from street car to track day car user friendly.

The competition car has expensive carbon fiber front fenders, splitter, bonnet and bumpers. Makes for expensive "offs".... It also has dual master brake system same as cup car. You really have to hit the pedal hard like typical race car. It takes a while to get used to it if coming from a street car.
The quick release wheel is cool in comp car. I must note that i rarely remove it and im 6ft 210 pounds. with seat all the way back you can get out fairly easy.
If anything, thr quick release wheel sticks out too far when driving. (the hub makes it almost too long).

Great to see see so many new 781 clubsport owners!

The following 2 users liked this post by tcsracing1:
ProCoach (02-19-2021), s996 (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 07:18 PM
s996
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I’m also new to a 718 clubsport comp model. I’m 6’1” and wish the pedals were about another inch further away. With seat all the way back it’s a little snug with longer legs compared to 991 seating. I do like the removable wheel when getting in not as much getting out though. Agree it does project further toward your chest than my buddies track day seating and wheel. I had not had a cup car and the brakes for a great surprise the first few times. I now have calves like the progressive commercial.

great car love it.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:06 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Curious - did you order to the Manthey Racing version with the lightweight parts, or the standard version through PCNA?
Considering this as well. How much more is the MR version? I assume it is situated somewhere between the Track day and competition? I assume you have to buy it from Manthey direct vs PMNA here in the US?
Old 01-08-2021, 09:27 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
Considering this as well. How much more is the MR version? I assume it is situated somewhere between the Track day and competition? I assume you have to buy it from Manthey direct vs PMNA here in the US?
The MR is ALOT more expensive than the Competition....MR is the tippy top of the Tier.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:24 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by thuggo
The MR is ALOT more expensive than the Competition....MR is the tippy top of the Tier.

Manthey came out with a MR for the track day car recently. See video and then see link that takes you to the Brochure. No clue on cost though and how it works. Do you buy a track day car and send it to them or ?

Quick Reply: Track day vs competition