Track day vs competition

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 10:45 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rXcFK3TLIY

Manthey came out with a MR for the track day car recently. See video and then see link that takes you to the Brochure. No clue on cost though and how it works. Do you buy a track day car and send it to them or ?
When I inquired to PMNA earlier this year, it sounded like you could buy them direct from PMNA.....I'm guessing 250k+ w/ Tax/Shipping/Import taxes at least.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:57 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 367 Likes on 264 Posts

Manthey lists the price at 149,900 euro. That's like 180k usd. A track day model from PMNA is listed at 175 k usd including the required 10k spares pkg. I don't know how shipping and taxes work for a Manthey car. For PMNA purchase there is additional airfreight, import duties and sales tax depending on delivery location.

edit- figures for the PMNA track day were as of Dec 2019, not sure if any change. I think there is a price thread here somewhere.

Last edited by zedcat; 01-08-2021 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:56 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

track day is lapping car, competition has air jacks and is suited for club racing/ trophy series. MR is SRO spec with all the carbon body bits and cup car brake booster.

Old 01-09-2021, 11:56 AM
Hex
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 54 Posts

The Trackday is for club racing too. In North America it has the air jacks and the fire suppression system. The Competition is for professional racing. The differences between the Trackday and the Competition are that the Trackday has fixed dampers, and The Competition has adjustable dampers, which can be retrofitted on the Trackday if desired. Also the Competition has a removable steering wheel which can be retrofitted on the Trackday if desired. The Competition has two things that can not be installed on the Trackday at this point. They are a larger fuel cell and a brake bias **** for teams that want to go endurance racing. In my recent talk with Porsche Motorsports North America, when I was buying my car, I was told that both cars will do the same lap times and that factory drivers have said that the fixed dampers in the Trackday are excellent and that unless you have a qualified technician with you at the track the fixed dampers are the way to go for ease of use. Additionally, the Trackday has a brake booster for easier transition to a race car for people who have been tracking street car/s. The cars are almost identical, and the Trackday has the same fenders, splitter, bonnet, and bumpers as the Competition, made from the same material. It's the MR car where you get these parts in carbon fiber for a further weight reduction. In fact, Porsche Motorsports North America said that the Trackday designation was a less than optimal name choice because it has caused some people to think the Trackday is not for competition when in fact it is a great choice for people who want to go sprint racing as opposed to endurance racing.

Last edited by Hex; 01-09-2021 at 12:48 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hex:
Apan19 (06-08-2021), gman3280 (01-09-2021), ProCoach (02-25-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 03:02 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zedcat
Manthey lists the price at 149,900 euro. That's like 180k usd. A track day model from PMNA is listed at 175 k usd including the required 10k spares pkg. I don't know how shipping and taxes work for a Manthey car. For PMNA purchase there is additional airfreight, import duties and sales tax depending on delivery location.

edit- figures for the PMNA track day were as of Dec 2019, not sure if any change. I think there is a price thread here somewhere.
So the price with the Track with spares, with all associated fees including tax worked out to 205k here in Ga. Thats the main reason I went with a used 981....you can buy a ****load of track days with 80k.
The following users liked this post:
gman3280 (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 04:19 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hex
The Trackday is for club racing too. In North America it has the air jacks and the fire suppression system. The Competition is for professional racing. The differences between the Trackday and the Competition are that the Trackday has fixed dampers, and The Competition has adjustable dampers, which can be retrofitted on the Trackday if desired. Also the Competition has a removable steering wheel which can be retrofitted on the Trackday if desired. The Competition has two things that can not be installed on the Trackday at this point. They are a larger fuel cell and a brake bias **** for teams that want to go endurance racing. In my recent talk with Porsche Motorsports North America, when I was buying my car, I was told that both cars will do the same lap times and that factory drivers have said that the fixed dampers in the Trackday are excellent and that unless you have a qualified technician with you at the track the fixed dampers are the way to go for ease of use. Additionally, the Trackday has a brake booster for easier transition to a race car for people who have been tracking street car/s. The cars are almost identical, and the Trackday has the same fenders, splitter, bonnet, and bumpers as the Competition, made from the same material. It's the MR car where you get these parts in carbon fiber for a further weight reduction. In fact, Porsche Motorsports North America said that the Trackday designation was a less than optimal name choice because it has caused some people to think the Trackday is not for competition when in fact it is a great choice for people who want to go sprint racing as opposed to endurance racing.
That is correct, the trackday is totally ready to race. The competition car is same car but with upgrades for spec class racing.
I have 2 MR spec cars with all the fancy carbon bits and i love them. But the price to replace that carbon (which i have multiple times) really is annoying.

I drove a new track day car at sebring for PMNA to give people ride alongs. The fixed dampers are dreamy! Especially with the tire combo. Sebring bumps were easy! They did a great job compared to the 981 clubsport damper. It felt way better then my MR!
PBRME (08-15-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 08:06 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
That is correct, the trackday is totally ready to race. The competition car is same car but with upgrades for spec class racing.
I have 2 MR spec cars with all the fancy carbon bits and i love them. But the price to replace that carbon (which i have multiple times) really is annoying.

I drove a new track day car at sebring for PMNA to give people ride alongs. The fixed dampers are dreamy! Especially with the tire combo. Sebring bumps were easy! They did a great job compared to the 981 clubsport damper. It felt way better then my MR!
LOL didn't they essentially toss the fixed stuff on the 981 for the Trophy spec.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:17 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thuggo
LOL didn't they essentially toss the fixed stuff on the 981 for the Trophy spec.
indeed. The car was thought to be undrivable in USA on Pirellis. (we think the original dampers were run on softer michelin tires in europe during R&D.)
For 2016, PMNA issued softer spring kit. (i still have these springs for anybody looking to soften their stock 981 for only 100.00)

in 2017 they issued a new trophy spec valving for the stock 981 shocks and that made the car more compliant.

the 2019+ 718 Track day shocks are probably the best non adjustable shock i have ever driven.

Last edited by tcsracing1; 01-10-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:20 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 796 Likes on 403 Posts

Our 981 has the double adjustable MR suspension. I'm not sure which specific springs we have but they are much softer than the "normal" springs. Anyone know the specs on the 718 springs for the various suspensions?

In euro N/mm spec
Front Spring - Rear Spring
Street GT4 45 80
Stock Clubsport 200 220
MR Minimum 130 110 MR
Maximum
150 150

And in the more conventional US lb/inch spec...
Front Spring Rear Spring
Street GT4 257 457
Stock Clubsport 1142 1256
MR Minimum 742 628
MR Maximum 857 857
Old 01-10-2021, 12:00 PM
Hex
Pro

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

Thanks for the feedback tcs racing1. I am excited to take delivery of my Trackday.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:57 PM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

mine is on order too and i’ve been told to expect the fixed dampers to be excellent so long as i run the michelins, which they are paired with.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:52 PM
Hex
Pro

Originally Posted by whojoemama
mine is on order too and i’ve been told to expect the fixed dampers to be excellent so long as i run the michelins, which they are paired with.
What’s the feedback on trying different tire brands?
Old 01-10-2021, 07:54 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 759 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by whojoemama
Any reason you are ordering one when Isringhausen has one in stock you can buy today? How long is the wait?
Old 01-10-2021, 10:20 PM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

Any reason you are ordering one when Isringhausen has one in stock you can buy today? How long is the wait?
I’m actually getting mine from Ishringhausen and it’s arriving in February. Last batch of cars are all track day versions which in the US come with the air jacks and fire suppression system. I’m getting the competition steering wheel. Does anyone have details as to what features that has?
Old 01-10-2021, 10:29 PM
Hex
Pro

The Clubsports on Isringhausen’s website we’re sold. As whojoemama said there are four more Trackdays coming in in February. My cars is in that shipment. They are the last four 781 Clubsports that Porsche will make. I consider myself fortunate. I am thrilled and so ready to drive this car.

Last edited by Hex; 01-11-2021 at 11:41 AM.
911therapy (01-11-2021)

Quick Reply: Track day vs competition