Notices

Has the emissions scandal made anyone else reconsider buying a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 01:12 AM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Has the emissions scandal made anyone else reconsider buying a Porsche?

There's always a lot of talk after some major company is exposed in a scandal like this, but then the question always comes up of how much it will really impact their consumer appeal. How much do consumers care about immoral or unscrupulous business practices as long as they get a product they want?

For me, I know there have been times where I have looked the other way (and I probably shouldn't have), but I don't think I can do that this time. I have a $2K deposit with a #8 spot on the waiting list for a GT4 at a premium dealership, but I think I am going to ask for that deposit back tomorrow. It's looking unlikely that I was going to get the car anyways, but I'm no longer sure I want it... I know there are bigger problems in the world, but personally, buying one of their cars just seems wrong to me now.

EDIT: To be fair, it's not JUST this scandal, but this may be the nail in the coffin. Other things that were starting to bother me:
- A lack of certain features that I think should be a given on a new Porsche (even a GT Porsche): backup cam, keyless ignition...
- All the talk of problems with understeer and gearing (relatively minor concerns to me, though)
- I've always thought Porsche made a great car, but their prices were just impossible for me to justify (and their ridiculous profit margins vindicated that feeling for me). The GT4 was the first exception, obviously, but it was still pushing my value limits... And with all the [rather convincing] conspiracy theories about how they gimp their mid-engined cars (even going so far as preventing the throttle from opening fully to limit power in the GT4?), it seems even more questionable to me. I know that none of this is illegal, or maybe even immoral, but a light is shining on my concern here after this scandal.

/SlightlyOffTopicRant

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 09-23-2015 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:09 PM
Winegums
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still considering buying a 2016 991.2 Turbo S, I'm not bothered in the slightest by the recent news.

The auto industry is brutal and competitive, everyone is constantly trying to get the edge. I wouldn't be surprised if many other auto makers have hidden things in their cars that would be equally as scandalous. I wouldn't drop your GT4 deposit as it's a very special car and I feel like you're making a rash decision over something quite mild.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:08 PM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Winegums
I'm still considering buying a 2016 991.2 Turbo S, I'm not bothered in the slightest by the recent news.

The auto industry is brutal and competitive, everyone is constantly trying to get the edge. I wouldn't be surprised if many other auto makers have hidden things in their cars that would be equally as scandalous. I wouldn't drop your GT4 deposit as it's a very special car and I feel like you're making a rash decision over something quite mild.
You may be right, but as I edited into my OP, it's not *just* this news that is making me reconsider. In combination with other things, it just might be a bit too much for me personally, but I'm still not sure... As I mentioned, though, it does draw more attention to some of the other [IMO] questionable business practices with the way they market and price their cars.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:36 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't think gt3/4 car prices will be impacted too much, or any of the specialty models for that matter...but everyone knows the current market is ridiculous and something as trivial as this could send the prices down a bit. Doubtful.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:52 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Trivial wasn't the right word...it's actually terrible.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:15 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche is unaffected. Has nothing to do with Porsche vehicles. Porsche does not have a 4cyl diesel in their lineup.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
Porsche is unaffected. Has nothing to do with Porsche vehicles. Porsche does not have a 4cyl diesel in their lineup.
http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/22/europe-markets-seen-higher-as-us-bounces-back.html

Unfortunately Porsche stock dropped almost 20%...the entire German car market has declined and Porsche was hit hardest.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:56 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

As I stated in another thread...the largest car company in world is in some trouble, and the whole story isn't out yet. I agree Porsche isn't going anywhere (due to demand), but if you don't think Significant yearly losses won't impact the company and the marketplace, you're being foolish. Civil/Criminal/Punitive judgments will impact VW. We, the consumers, will pay for all of this litigation in one form or another. Business is all about profit...just keep your fingers crossed that the 2017 models will come with an engine 😂
Old 09-24-2015, 02:11 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Indiana Jones
As I stated in another thread...the largest car company in world is in some trouble, and the whole story isn't out yet. I agree Porsche isn't going anywhere (due to demand), but if you don't think Significant yearly losses won't impact the company and the marketplace, you're being foolish. Civil/Criminal/Punitive judgments will impact VW. We, the consumers, will pay for all of this litigation in one form or another. Business is all about profit...just keep your fingers crossed that the 2017 models will come with an engine 😂
I agree that consumers are going to see higher prices because there will be increased costs to ensure future compliance. I was just saying I don't think Porsche is going anywhere and I don't see any significant effects on Porsche products. I do believe Porsche could easily stand on its own but I don't think it is going to come even remotely close to that.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:51 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Porsche definitely isn't going anywhere! Too bad consumers take the hit via prices, material/build quality, warranty issues etc!
Old 09-24-2015, 07:17 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

VW was keeping their gas mileage high by cheating on the emissions tests.
This scandal should be GOOD advertising if people were gas money conscious.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:39 PM
speedy88
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the business sense of the market, if the demand for vw or related brand of vw goes down, then I can assume so will the pricing. You can't sell high when there are less buyers, even with new restrictions or design changes. So, I can only assume the prices for Porsches will go down or perhaps stay the same.

As for options on the GT4, back up cam shouldn't be one of them. (Makes sense on larger vehicle). My $0.02.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:31 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Originally Posted by speedy88
In the business sense of the market, if the demand for vw or related brand of vw goes down, then I can assume so will the pricing. You can't sell high when there are less buyers, even with new restrictions or design changes. So, I can only assume the prices for Porsches will go down or perhaps stay the same.

As for options on the GT4, back up cam shouldn't be one of them. (Makes sense on larger vehicle). My $0.02.
And it's going down fast. Stock prices are down 40% after the latest. 2.8 million cars affected.

http://in.mobile.reuters.com/article/idINKCN0RP15Z20150925?irpc=932
Old 09-25-2015, 03:42 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Indiana Jones
http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/22/europe-markets-seen-higher-as-us-bounces-back.html

Unfortunately Porsche stock dropped almost 20%...the entire German car market has declined and Porsche was hit hardest.
That's Porsche Automobile Holdings, the umbrella corporation controlled by the Porsche and Pieche families that owns 51% of VW. VW's Porsche subsidiary is not traded separately.

Quick Reply: Has the emissions scandal made anyone else reconsider buying a Porsche?