Notices

OT: 960

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,434 Likes on 2,245 Posts

its like one of those fractal posters you had to stare at but not focus on to see the swiming dolphins or whatever...
Old 08-04-2011, 08:45 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see CL wheels :-(
Old 08-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,434 Likes on 2,245 Posts

"I see dead people" ...

not clear (to me) if these are offical Porsche renderings or the magazines ... I am guessing the latter, so this is just made up from someone's imagination ... for all we know it could have a dashboard carbon fibre flower vase ala VW Beetle!

imagine that on the configurator ...
Old 08-05-2011, 12:14 AM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually like it... I am tempted by the mid-engine Ferraris for the track and plan to get a 430 Scud within the next 5 years (already budgeting).... But if Porsche comes out with a slick mid-engine "GTx" car with a solid, reliable engine (DFI is fine)- I'll stick with the brand. Carrera GT is perfection, but out of my price range (and presumeably in 5 years as well).... Don't get me wrong - I am hooked on GT3s, but the 991 is not doing it for me... Feels too "Panamera"...
Old 08-05-2011, 12:17 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a seriously upright looking windshield.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:28 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

if and when produced, I would be curious to see NJ-GT's thoughts on the car.... would it be enough car to get him out of a 458 scud?
Old 08-05-2011, 09:01 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
+1..

I really like it.. My eye's been wandering towards mid engine cars...
Old 08-05-2011, 11:31 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
if and when produced, I would be curious to see NJ-GT's thoughts on the car.... would it be enough car to get him out of a 458 scud?
Nope, no matter what Porsche does, unless they come up with a new engine, and that engine would need to be proven in Racing.

This 960 thing is pure platform sharing with the Gallardo and R8. Even on 2WD configuration (Balboni 6-speed manual) this platform is heavy. Porsche would have to produce a lighter engine, and that means using the 9A1 on a heavier platform, or Turbocharge the 9A1 and make it even heavier. People won't pay $250k for a flat-6. So, Porsche would have to use big power, and that comes only from the Cayenne engine (4.8 V8) and that already has an extra dose of weight.

The Racing engine used in the ALMS Porsche Spyder (3.4 10,000 rpm V8), that is going to be used in the 918 Spyder, is going to need serious development to become a street friendly engine. Probably Porsche could offset these R&D costs by getting the same engine installed in the 960 with two flavors, normally aspirated (think 500Hp) and Turbocharged (think 600+ hp to compete with the other brands).

458 Scuderia (Corsa) will easily hit the $325-$350k price range when it goes on sale in 2 years, hopefully it doesn't gain the porky weight the Italia gained, and with so many years in Racing from this engine (since 2005), it would be a wiser choice than a new Porsche 914.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:49 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh lord that thing is SO hot !!!

I was hopping that a cayman would look like that !!!
Old 08-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Nope, no matter what Porsche does, unless they come up with a new engine, and that engine would need to be proven in Racing.
Or they could lop two cylinders off the CGT engine....that might well pass muster.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:06 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

This 960 thing is pure platform sharing with the Gallardo and R8. Even on 2WD configuration (Balboni 6-speed manual) this platform is heavy. Porsche would have to produce a lighter engine, and that means using the 9A1 on a heavier platform, or Turbocharge the 9A1 and make it even heavier. People won't pay $250k for a flat-6. So, Porsche would have to use big power, and that comes only from the Cayenne engine (4.8 V8) and that already has an extra dose of weight.

The Racing engine used in the ALMS Porsche Spyder (3.4 10,000 rpm V8), that is going to be used in the 918 Spyder, is going to need serious development to become a street friendly engine. Probably Porsche could offset these R&D costs by getting the same engine installed in the 960 with two flavors, normally aspirated (think 500Hp) and Turbocharged (think 600+ hp to compete with the other brands).

458 Scuderia (Corsa) will easily hit the $325-$350k price range when it goes on sale in 2 years, hopefully it doesn't gain the porky weight the Italia gained, and with so many years in Racing from this engine (since 2005), it would be a wiser choice than a new Porsche 914.
in that case, Porsche has their work cut out for them on the 960!

perhaps if the car is indeed a platform sharing stepchild, if priced right it will make a fun beater for daily driving but nothing more.....

Once again, thanks for the coles notes! And why is it that you are not writing for Excellence or something yet?? Your knowledge is always an excellent resource!
Old 08-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Once again, thanks for the coles notes! And why is it that you are not writing for Excellence or something yet?? Your knowledge is always an excellent resource!
+1
Old 08-06-2011, 03:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

...than a new Porsche 914.
LMAO, tell us how you really feel.

well. my liking for p cars is getting less and less now days .... for a variety of reasons. if i wasn't all the great ppl i met on RL, i would be out of the p car world now.

pcna you listening? this is coming from a 3rd gen porschephile family.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:21 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, no matter what Porsche does, unless they come up with a new engine, and that engine would need to be proven in Racing..
errr, how many of PAG's current engines are proven in in racing? racing is only one way to develop engines.

This 960 thing is pure platform sharing with the Gallardo and R8. Even on 2WD configuration (Balboni 6-speed manual) this platform is heavy. .
The ASF platform is not, of itself, heavy. German manufacturers choose to make cars heavy (remember McLaren's enless wrangles with Daimler). Why do they choose to make them heavy, because they are full of safety kit, tick-box accessories and radiators/intercoolers that are only required in Germany or when racing.

By and large Porsche cars are heavy, only the CGT is a modern platform.

Porsche would have to produce a lighter engine, and that means using the 9A1 on a heavier platform, or Turbocharge the 9A1 and make it even heavier. People won't pay $250k for a flat-6. So, Porsche would have to use big power, and that comes only from the Cayenne engine (4.8 V8) and that already has an extra dose of weight..
PAG may have wider v8 choices than first appears. However, the US market's requirement for a rear seat in a two-seater car is what screwed up the 356/911 in the first place. Its hard to build a mid (front or rear) engined four seater that isn't physically huge.

There is no reason why PAG shouldn't further develop the flat 6, if only for heritage reasons.

There is a perfectly good developed v-10 available from Gyor, development costs already amortised. This engine runs perfectly well both forced and normal induction.

There is a PAGish designed (well you know who I mean) flat crank v-8 destined for an expensive Porsche-ish car - all sorts of folk from Zuffenhausen, Wolfsberg, Neckarsulm and Ingolstadt have climbed all over it.

Racing engines rarely translate well to the street, forget the marketing hype. Most of the time the redevelopment amounts to a replacement engine, often even the bore centres are changed.

R+C
Old 08-06-2011, 08:25 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Looks like yet another Lotus spinoff ....... Tesla, Hennessey Venom, etc...

Quick Reply: OT: 960