New Buyer Questions 911 C4S - Would love some feedback

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Explorer7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New Buyer Questions 911 C4S - Would love some feedback

Hello,

I am buying a 2014 Porsche 911 C4S in a few days.

I have selected my options etc.. but one thing I was hoping to get some feedback on.

Anybody here have this model with the sunroof?

I would appreciate any feedback (pros and cons)

Since it is a custom order, I don't want to regret a choice later.
I can not find any pictures online or videos with this roof in action.

Also, who has experience with ordering your car? How long does it take after you place the order until it arrives? Any pitfalls I should look out for or tips in dealing with the sales person / dealership?

Here a few pictures of the car I am ordering.

Thanks in advance for your help .. I am super excited !!

Last edited by Explorer7; 09-03-2013 at 12:10 AM. Reason: added images and more questions
Old 09-03-2013, 12:05 AM
Explorer7
Instructor

Double Post

Might as well ad another picture ..

Other than my sunroof question.. this is pretty much what I am going with .. I added just about everything option wise.. except the Ceramic breaks, which I am told, I don't really need unless I plan to professionally race the car.

This car has been my dream car for as long as I can remember and I am so thrilled that I can make it a reality.
I plan to pay it in full when I order it .. I have saved a long time for this baby and I don't believe in owing money or credit card debt.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:03 AM
sdillon
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 55 Posts

I have no tips for you, but wanted to ask a question since I plan to order a Carrera S relatively soon. When ordering a car, is in common to pay full MSRP? Less? More? What is your experience after ordering your car?
Old 09-05-2013, 01:32 AM
Explorer7
Instructor

Hello, I wish someone here would have offered some advise.. I don't know if it is just me.. a girl ordering a brand new car..
But I assure you guys.. I worked very hard to earn my dream car.

I actually just placed my order today and put down the downpayment to get a September allocation still..

My car is being delivered Mid December the latest and I am super excited.

To answer your question.. for the 2014 model, I did pay MSRP price as configured.. except a 3% discount.

I also added a Clear Bra for the full front end as well as an extended warranty..
Then ad CA state taxes ..

I got a few things thrown in for free but really not much. Porsche is not the kind of company where they need to look for customers it seems
Unless you are getting an older model or certified pre owned, there was no deal to be struck better than the 3%

My total bill came out to be around 170k
Old 09-05-2013, 01:36 AM
Explorer7
Instructor

If all my posts get that kind of response.. I will have to go somewhere else to ask my future Porsche owner questions.. Not feeling very welcome here..

lol is it a Porsche thing? Like you always know that a Mercedes or BMW driver acts like they own the road?
I never noticed that from Porsche drivers, but then again, there are not that many on the road..

I know one thing.. I will not be one of them..

I am in love with my new car.. and thrilled to have earned enough money to make one of my dreams come true. I will be the one driving down the road.. playing the music loud and a big smile on my face
Old 09-06-2013, 01:54 AM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Explorer7
Hello,

I am buying a 2014 Porsche 911 C4S in a few days.

I have selected my options etc.. but one thing I was hoping to get some feedback on.

Anybody here have this model with the sunroof?

I would appreciate any feedback (pros and cons)

Since it is a custom order, I don't want to regret a choice later.
I can not find any pictures online or videos with this roof in action.

Also, who has experience with ordering your car? How long does it take after you place the order until it arrives? Any pitfalls I should look out for or tips in dealing with the sales person / dealership?

Here a few pictures of the car I am ordering.

Thanks in advance for your help .. I am super excited !!
Sorry you feel this way but RL is a great forum and resource.
The reason you did not get any response is because this is not the correct forum and may not have as much traffic.
If you look under the water cooled technical section and then further into the 991 (newest internal model designation), you will find many topics under discussion that are relevant to your questions.
I can attempt to answer what I can but I am a recent convert to Poesche myself so am learning a lot as I go.
1. I cant comment on sunroof as I have a convertible which is just awesome by the way. If I got a coupe, however, I would get a sunroof but that just my way of dealing with SAD.
2. I ordered my car end of Feb and it came 9 wks later but it can/does vary by a few weeks. Longer if you order a special paint to order (PTO) color. There is a thread at the very top of the 991 section that may be of interest.
3. Dealing with sales guys/dealership is variable. Some are great and some not. You indicated you are in CA- I found that in general, the dealerships in LA area are more willing to deal than the No Cal guys. PM me for name of a straight shooter sales guy if you need.
4. Discounts vary and depend on supply/demand as well as your skills. In general, I have found discounts from at least 5% to 8%. Others have done better- esp if you take in stock inventory or year end models.
5. I would not put any deposit more than $500-1000 and get it in writing that it is refundable. It should be unless you order a PTO.
6. Why give dealer money for down payment when you could be earning 1%? You don't pay for car until you take possession of it. So until then, everything is negotiable.
7. Only thing I regret not getting is PSE. Otherwise I love my car and you will live yours too.
Congrats and look forward to seeing your pics when you get the car. Welcome to RL.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,043 Likes on 559 Posts

I would get some red deviating stitching on the doors and dash to go with the red belts. You can still change the details even after you made the deposit. Might just delay delivery a bit (or not, depends on timing).

Took me 3 months to get the car.

Agree with above, go to the 991 section, tons of info there.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:16 PM
Explorer7
Instructor

Originally Posted by mdkrp
Sorry you feel this way but RL is a great forum and resource.
The reason you did not get any response is because this is not the correct forum and may not have as much traffic.
If you look under the water cooled technical section and then further into the 991 (newest internal model designation), you will find many topics under discussion that are relevant to your questions.
I can attempt to answer what I can but I am a recent convert to Poesche myself so am learning a lot as I go.
1. I cant comment on sunroof as I have a convertible which is just awesome by the way. If I got a coupe, however, I would get a sunroof but that just my way of dealing with SAD.
2. I ordered my car end of Feb and it came 9 wks later but it can/does vary by a few weeks. Longer if you order a special paint to order (PTO) color. There is a thread at the very top of the 991 section that may be of interest.
3. Dealing with sales guys/dealership is variable. Some are great and some not. You indicated you are in CA- I found that in general, the dealerships in LA area are more willing to deal than the No Cal guys. PM me for name of a straight shooter sales guy if you need.
4. Discounts vary and depend on supply/demand as well as your skills. In general, I have found discounts from at least 5% to 8%. Others have done better- esp if you take in stock inventory or year end models.
5. I would not put any deposit more than $500-1000 and get it in writing that it is refundable. It should be unless you order a PTO.
6. Why give dealer money for down payment when you could be earning 1%? You don't pay for car until you take possession of it. So until then, everything is negotiable.
7. Only thing I regret not getting is PSE. Otherwise I love my car and you will live yours too.
Congrats and look forward to seeing your pics when you get the car. Welcome to RL.

Thank you for the reply and great info.
I posted here because I thought the other one was not in my category. (Originally I wanted to post there) Fearing people would be upset and send me to general.

I did get it with the sunroof. Although, I wish it was bigger.. but better than nothing I never saw myself in a Cabrio.. but I do see what you mean and they are very beautiful. Maybe if I was in So Cali.. but here by San Francisco, the weather is nice and cool (the way I like it)

My order was officially placed last week and the invoice (or production schedule) shows it being delivered by Dec 14.
I wish I had joined the forum a little earlier but until I knew I was getting a porsche, I did not want to join a forum for something that was still out of my reach. I think I build a pretty nice car and did as much research the 4 days I had to place my order.

I am sure I will be very happy with it. This saturday, we are putting down the full payment. What does PTO mean?
Please advise why you think its better not to pay in full until you take possession of the car.

Oh and I contacted 5 dealers here in the bay area.. none were willing to go more than 3% for a custom order 2014 C4S Porsche.

Also.. what is PSE please?

I promise, to post pictures of my car.. I can't wait.. I have to try to distract myself with work now until the time comes.. (its hard to wait)
Old 09-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Explorer7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dyim
I would get some red deviating stitching on the doors and dash to go with the red belts. You can still change the details even after you made the deposit. Might just delay delivery a bit (or not, depends on timing).

Took me 3 months to get the car.

Agree with above, go to the 991 section, tons of info there.

Great tip.. but I only got the red stitching on the wheel .. I opted out of the leather console.. I prefer regular.. its better to maintain, and honestly, I did not want to overdo it with the leather.

I will head over to the 911 section to look up posts.. thank you .. I thought I was in the right section here..
Old 09-10-2013, 02:34 AM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Explorer7

Thank you for the reply and great info.
I posted here because I thought the other one was not in my category. (Originally I wanted to post there) Fearing people would be upset and send me to general.

I did get it with the sunroof. Although, I wish it was bigger.. but better than nothing I never saw myself in a Cabrio.. but I do see what you mean and they are very beautiful. Maybe if I was in So Cali.. but here by San Francisco, the weather is nice and cool (the way I like it)

My order was officially placed last week and the invoice (or production schedule) shows it being delivered by Dec 14.
I wish I had joined the forum a little earlier but until I knew I was getting a porsche, I did not want to join a forum for something that was still out of my reach. I think I build a pretty nice car and did as much research the 4 days I had to place my order.

I am sure I will be very happy with it. This saturday, we are putting down the full payment. What does PTO mean?
Please advise why you think its better not to pay in full until you take possession of the car.

Oh and I contacted 5 dealers here in the bay area.. none were willing to go more than 3% for a custom order 2014 C4S Porsche.

Also.. what is PSE please?

I promise, to post pictures of my car.. I can't wait.. I have to try to distract myself with work now until the time comes.. (its hard to wait)
Most likely your car will arrive in early to mid Nov. ask your salesperson to send you regular updates via email.

PTO stands for paint to order which is a custom paint job. Those orders take longer. Moot point for you, tho.

PSE is Porsche Sport Exhaust which is an option that acoustically enhances the exhaust sound in and outside the car. The stock exhaust in the C2S/4S is pretty good but the PSE sound is awesome. There are various threads discussing this.
You can look up YouTube videos of PSE so you can hear it for yourself. Better yet- go to the dealership and compare.
You should still be able to change your order if car has not gone into production. If it is too late then you can get it done afterwards at dealership but it will cost you a bit more than when ordering upfront.

Good luck with the wait- that was the hardest part! In the meantime, use this forum to educate yourself on the history of these amazing cars and the 991 in particular.
Cheers
Old 09-11-2013, 09:25 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Super classy build, Explorer.

Enjoy.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:59 PM
Explorer7
Instructor

Originally Posted by mdkrp
Most likely your car will arrive in early to mid Nov. ask your salesperson to send you regular updates via email.

PTO stands for paint to order which is a custom paint job. Those orders take longer. Moot point for you, tho.

PSE is Porsche Sport Exhaust which is an option that acoustically enhances the exhaust sound in and outside the car. The stock exhaust in the C2S/4S is pretty good but the PSE sound is awesome. There are various threads discussing this.
You can look up YouTube videos of PSE so you can hear it for yourself. Better yet- go to the dealership and compare.
You should still be able to change your order if car has not gone into production. If it is too late then you can get it done afterwards at dealership but it will cost you a bit more than when ordering upfront.

Good luck with the wait- that was the hardest part! In the meantime, use this forum to educate yourself on the history of these amazing cars and the 991 in particular.
Cheers

Thanks good tip. I will be sure to check back with him .. part of me does not want to bug him, but then, I don't know how many people walk in with the order ready and pay in full.. (so maybe he owes me) .. btw..I looked at my order .. I did get the PSE.. sorry.. not used to the lingo..
I tried to load it as much as possible to keep the re-sale value high.. no use to get a sweet car like this and not ad as much options as possible. I did that with my last car that I owned for 14 years and I am happy that I loaded it up like crazy My son is now getting that car.. he is turning 16 next year and it is a good solid car that never made me any trouble.

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
Super classy build, Explorer.

Enjoy.
Thank you I am very happy with it.. funny enough, I am now scanning the roads for Porsche's and I don't see that many.. well, soon there will be one more on 101 and 280
Old 09-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Explorer7
Instructor

soo.. yesterday I went to the dealership to pay for the car adn while I was at it, I changed the color.. I had been debating on the white and the odd contrast it made with the hood. I also got feedback that white was very hard to keep clean looking .. similar to black.

So I got this instead.. just wondering at this point if I should go with black wheels or agate grey wheels. I am leaning towards black but yesterday changed the order on the color and wheels to be agate grey.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:41 PM
bjsbuds
Track Day

owning both a black and white vehicle, I can tell you white is way easier to keep clean than black. Nothing shines like black when it is detailed, not just washed, but white really stands out. Either will be a great choice. Black rims seems to be in style now, but grey are classic.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:26 AM
Explorer7
Instructor

Originally Posted by bjsbuds
owning both a black and white vehicle, I can tell you white is way easier to keep clean than black. Nothing shines like black when it is detailed, not just washed, but white really stands out. Either will be a great choice. Black rims seems to be in style now, but grey are classic.
Oh its not black Its Agate Grey.. the online image looks darker than what the color looks in real life. But I agree with you.. Black, while I love that color, I can't get. I am way to nit picky about dirt and detail, I would be washing that car daily.

Quick Reply: New Buyer Questions 911 C4S - Would love some feedback