UNDECIDED: 911-GTR-M3

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 02:31 AM
apextc
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UNDECIDED: 911-GTR-M3

All,

I've used google, the search button and watched several youtube videos. Heard all the pro's and cons, compared costs and know the whole bang for the buck discussion but here is the situation:

I currently have a 350z and with some extra hard work, I've decided to make my goal to purchase the best daily driver with the BEST handling for under $100k (used or new).

Again, I've done and currently doing a lot of research - can anyone on this board give me their opinion on what they think which car out of the GTR-M3-911 has the best handling? I feel any monkey can gun a car in a straight line..... looking to really get into the "handling" aspect for choosing my next passion purchase.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:11 PM
apextc
Cruisin'

bump?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:34 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 236 Posts

Porsche 911.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:53 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

+911
Old 01-29-2013, 04:08 PM
speedy88
Banned

M3, daily driver, least $ for maintenance and ownership.

GTR, great all round car with serious bang for the bucks.

911, similar to gtr but less practical as far as trunk and overall space.

It all depends on what your situation is. I like the gtr for its overall performance, rear seats and trunk space (golf clubs). 911 for special days like at the tracks and hanging with the club members.

Good luck on your decision, can't go wrong with any of the 3 cars.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:14 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the best handling car in that group is easily the GTR. The computers do all of the work for you and they do it well. Best daily driver just depends on what your definition of a daily and your needs are. I've driven (and really tried to talk myself into buying) the E92 M3, but I just don't see it being a good daily driver. The car felt slow unless you really beat on it and it just didn't feel special to drive. I'm hoping the new twin turbo M3 will fix that.

Have you thought about a Cayman? Better handling than an M3 or a 911. I drove mine daily for 4 years.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:05 AM
Lt. Arclight
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After owning 3 Porsches , a 944, a 993(last of the aircooled 911's) and unfortunately one very problematic 99 996, I've bounced between a Subaru STi, and a 09 MB C63AMG sedan. I am currently in the market too.

The latest M3, although wonderful on a track day, 414hp V8 has a very narrow power band and feels slow unless you are constantly above 6500rpm. The GT-R is an outrageous car. The problem is the Nissan dealers that sell them think they are their ticket to making a dealership profitable- I drove a 2013 Premium model earlier this month and was impressed-so many dealers want MSRP + which is absolutely stupid. When one appears for service, I think all the techs can't wait for their turn to go for a joy ride. They do require certified dealer maintenance and if you aren't located near a select dealer,I wouldn't even consider it.They are stupid fast,noisy, full of rattles and a technological tour de force. I however would under NO circumstances purchase a used one with appropriate knowledge of the prior owners. It seems the majority are in the 20-30 y/o group that just can't leave a car stock. I mean really over 500 hp- how much MORE do you need. Why would you need to take a 100K all wheel drive car to the drag strip and launch it until the trans breaks and then complain that Nissan viod ther warranty.

911. There is no substitute. The Caymen and Boxster are beautiful cars- but how many times can you tolerate people asking how come you couldn't afford a 911. Stupid people ask stupid questions-but don't be surprised at how many feel that way.

I also drove both the new 991 Carrera and 991 Carrera S. WOW- Porsche did their homework and with them pushing 5000 mile 2 year leases, very good CPO cars will readily be available.

Imo,as a daily driver, the 911 is tremendous. Even the rear wheel drive cars with appropriate winter tires are great in colder climates. And Porsche service is readily available. I warn you-If you drive a Carrera S with PDK you will be possessed. Unless I can find a very good CPO 997TT, I will be in a new 991 Carrera S.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:46 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will also say 911. I know a few people who daily drive them and no complaints.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 168 Posts

Handling is quite subjective and all three of the cars will be fine. Obviously in a Porsche forum you will hear the P cars are the best. Here is my .02. The GTR with all wheel drive will have less involving steering than a rwd 911 or M3. It is going to be the easiest to drive stupid fast if that is your goal but will be the least involving. An M3 is a great daily driver but depending on the 911 model you choose they can be OK too. Read more in the forums about the different models. Drive a few at dealerships too. I can tell you that until I drove a 911 I didn't understand why owners were so enthusiastic.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:14 PM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedster
Handling is quite subjective and all three of the cars will be fine. Obviously in a Porsche forum you will hear the P cars are the best. Here is my .02. The GTR with all wheel drive will have less involving steering than a rwd 911 or M3. It is going to be the easiest to drive stupid fast if that is your goal but will be the least involving. An M3 is a great daily driver but depending on the 911 model you choose they can be OK too. Read more in the forums about the different models. Drive a few at dealerships too. I can tell you that until I drove a 911 I didn't understand why owners were so enthusiastic.

I agree with this... I've owned all three over the years, as well as Corvette, NSX, regular 3 series, Evo, etc and in the end I come back to the 911

I actually ended up owning the GTR for only about 8 months. It was the most impressive car I've owned in terms of tech and capabilities, but it was also oddly the least inspiring. It's like driving a parade float in that it gets *massive* attention (more even than my NSX's ever did), and it's insanely fast and ridiculously easy to mod, but day to day it feels like a sort of punishing "regular car". Everything about it is a bit harsh, but very neutral.

Also, having owned a Ralliart, Evo X and the GTR, I've decided that personally I don't like owning a dual clutch. It's a great theory, but for me, it takes a huge chunk of the "fun factor" out of a fun performance car, and it adds a ton of potential risk and cost into a "daily driver". For me, if Im not going to be operating the clutch pedal, I think I'd rather just have a high performance, modern, automatic. I ended up driving the dual clutch cars in "D" 99% of the time anyway, and a traditional automatic has nowhere near the potential risk and maintenance charges.

With the M3, I am a big fan of the E90, and it is a fantastic car, but to me it really is a full GT sport coupe. Also, since I always have a DD 3 series, I feel it doesn't bring much incremental value.

Summary:

911 - most involving (esp in 6MT), closest to being a "sports car" in terms of look and feel (despite 4 seats), least practical, solid "cachet" (if you care). The 911 is a case where it is much more than its numbers tell and more than the sum of its parts. The whole thing is an "experience". Although maybe a case could be made that this differentiation is diminishing as years go by and cars in general move to be more neutral and more homogenous.

M3 - also very involving (esp in 6MT), but IMO a slight bit less visceral than a 911, solidly a GT (sport coupe - feels like a sedan rather than sports car to me), most practical, decent cachet (if you care), 99% of people see it as a 3 series (this can be good). If I lived someplace sunny, instead of a 6MT 911 and a 335xi auto, I'd almost certainly just have a 6MT M3 and call it a day. Really an amazing blend of practical and performance and experience in a pretty classy package.

GTR - highest absolute performance, easiest to mod, least involving. The entire car is very neutral and easy. The soundtrack isnt great without putting a lot of money into aftermarket exhaust (which M3 and 911 dont need). Least practical because, despite the size, it has the most punishing ride and is the least "smooth". Hyper exotic, massive street cred, no cachet (similar to NSX... "enthusiasts" will treat you like a rock star, regular people say "thats a Nissan??")

Maintenance wise is closer than you might think. GTR service requires a Nissan dealer which is a *real* downside IMO. Porsche and BMW dealers, in my experience of owning them for about 11 years now, are *far* better in every way.

You definitely need to drive them and know what you want going in. Also, with Porsche, if you are looking at an automatic keep in mind that PDK (if you want to do a dual clutch comparo) came pretty late (09)

By the next generation I have a sinking suspicion that a brand new M3, 911 and GTR will be almost identical in feel (which is unfortunate IMO) since there is a clear move to make everything electronically controlled, dynamic, and fully neutral
Old 02-03-2013, 03:12 AM
BTEMY
Intermediate

...so here are my .02

M3: friends, family, neighbors own them. Peaky power, amazing brakes, excellent handling.
Overall factor: Fun at first, unreliable later, becomes less exciting with each day.

GTR: Incredible, fast, handling is out of this world but its not you, its the car and you quickly realize that, Overall factor: easy to get more HP if you're junky. Won't make you better driver but will make you the fastest one. Reliable, but only if purchased new. Would never buy used as they get tortured as the adrenalin rush with launch control is very addictive but quickly destroys the drivetrain. Everyone who I know with GTR are in their early 30's and don't care much about making GTR their forever car. The interior is boring and starts rattling after 10K

911: With each model Pcar became more and more of a daily sports car. The range from air to water cooled and the variation of drivetrain: rear wheel or all wheel drives, rear engine or mid engine setup and plenty of HP to choose. Owners seem to be more honest, decent and caring about their cars. I would even go as far as claiming that turbo (except GT2) and GT3 models could easily be daily driven, in my opinion they are also more reliable.
Overall factor: This is a sports car that has been build and perfected since 1965. The car that will take you on a new journey in your life. You will re-learn how to drive. You will be challenged and you will over come those challenges. It also sometimes feels that you have become somehow a part of history.

At the end, for short lived but hot affair go with GTR. Once you are ready for committed and long lasting and satisfying relationship get a Pcar (911 or a cayman)

Oh last warning, which apparently nobody shared with before for I bought my first Porsche. Sometimes owning just one is not enough...
Old 02-04-2013, 09:49 AM
miamilakenew
1st Gear

I have experience dealing with few car dealers in miami and best i can suggest to you is Miami Lakes Automall LLC

Miami Jeep
Old 03-01-2013, 01:23 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Did you consider a Z06 carbon? hard to beat for the money and still easy to live with as a DD
Old 03-10-2013, 02:15 PM
MacAna
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My 2c, I've been a BMW driver for several years now, they have fantastic products.
Drove the 335i Coupe for 3 years and have now been driving an E93 M3-Cab for the last 16months.

I'm now at the point where my logical (to me) upgrade is the 911 C2S

I would never knock the M3, it has been a dream car of mine for a long time, and it hasn't disappointed... but the Porsche is in a different league based on the brand appeal, the looks, the status and the NUMEROUS test drives I went on before placing my order.

Can't say much about the GTR as I've never driven one, but it is a monster and should provide tons of fun, it just won't be as comfortable/refined as the BMW or Porsche.

Last edited by MacAna; 03-16-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:09 PM
james6speed
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 100 Posts

Lightly pre-owned 997 GT3... You didn't actually think I was going to suggest a non P-car now did you? Your on Rennlist Porsche, so many will have similar sentiments.

P.S. I saw a nice red Ferrari 430 scoot out of the tunnel by the Navy Pier in January in the snow... daily driver? You betcha!

Quick Reply: UNDECIDED: 911-GTR-M3