Notices

UNDECIDED: 911-GTR-M3

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 01:59 AM
SAN997
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I own both an E46 M3 and a 997 911. The M3 is the best all around daily driver sports car out there. But if you want the ultimate in performance, without being completely unusable (like a Ferrari), the 911 is the way to go.

Personally, I am selling the M3 because I don't have kids and I also have an SUV. If I didn't have an SUV or if I had kids, I'd probably go with the M3 for a daily driver.

The E90 M3 is faster and newer than the E46 M3, but its not more fun to drive since it provides less of a connection to the road. The styling is also bland compared to the E46 M3, in my opinion. One strike against the E46 is that the engine bogs at low RPM (very little torque before ~2500 rpm). The exhaust is also kind of irritating around 3000 rpm (drones).

The difference between the E90 M3 and the 911 in the performance category is mainly that the 911 feels lighter, more responsive and points/turns better. You also have a much better connection to the road (steering feel). I also think the 911 looks sleeker and is more pleasing to the eye. You certainly feel like you are holding the road more tightly in the 911 when you take a turn than in an M3. Keep in mind that the extra wide tires of the 911 track the road really bad, so it requires more attention/effort to drive straight.

On the other hand, you get a real trunk and real back seats in the M3. Its also a little cheaper to operate (but not much). Of course, you can't beat the Porsche CPO. The M3 will attract less attention, too.

Getting into the M3, after owning a 911, is like getting into a pickup truck in comparison. You really see how the M3 is a souped up saloon/sedan, while the 911 is a purpose built sports car.

That said, if you need the best daily driver sports car that can accommodate kids and/or Costco trips, etc, the M3 is the way to go. Otherwise, get the 911 and drive the best.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Spathiinc
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't driven the M3 or GTR, but I DD a 991 C2S Cab and find it a lot of fun. I have a 2 year old and a 3 month old, the youngest won't be able to ride in the 911 for some time, but the toddler fits in the back (with a front facing car seat) very well. The leg room for the little isn't great, but it's not uncomfortable either (and he'll re-claim some room when he upgrades to a booster). The 911 wouldn't do if this was our only car, but for commute / drop-offs at school, it's amazingly fun.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Upstate101
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or, for the same money, get an older M3 or 911, and use the difference to fund a track car and plenty of track time. As great as the E90 M3/991/GTR are, you'll never come even close to utilizing their full capabilities on the street.

Quick Reply: UNDECIDED: 911-GTR-M3