Contacting Porsche AG [legal concerns]

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 03:32 PM
ignatius
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Contacting Porsche AG [legal concerns]

Hi everyone,

I don't know if anyone here has had any experience with this, but I was wondering how I may contact Porsche's personnel in charge of trademarks / copyrights / licensing. The thing is, I'm thinking of selling Porsche apparel, but if only if were that simple.

I don't think it'd be far-fetched to say that Porsche AG doesn't want its name used unless it's the one using it. Anyway, I want to contact an official from the company and find out the exact policies.

Don't want to get in trouble now...
Old 01-04-2002, 03:38 PM
ignatius
AutoX

Here's an example that I'm talking about...
http://www.cafepress.com/cp/store/st...toreid=porsche

Would this be ok? The articles of clothing have the name Porsche in them, but do not exactly use the Porsche crest. If Porsche AG was to find out about this person selling merchendise with their name on it, would they sue, press charges, etc...

Or would they appreciate the fact that Porsche enthusiasts are spreading their name and giving them free promotion
Old 01-04-2002, 03:48 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

I hope that "enthusiest" site on that link you listed is a joke!

-Steve
Old 01-04-2002, 04:21 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Iggy,

They will sue you in a heartbeat if you use their name or other trademarked or copyrighted symbols, and rightfully so.

For years a mechanic friend of mine, innocently enough, had used the Porsche crest on his business cards and possibly on his garage sign. He did, in fact, specialize in working on Porsche cars. Then one day he received a polite, but official notification that he was to cease utilizing the Porsche crest and/or name, which he of course did immediately.

The name PORSCHE is a registered trademark and while I'd guess that the company probably has some licensees, the right to utilize the name and or trademarks, i.e., to receive permission to be a corporate "licensee", is traditionally neither granted lightly or without expense.

Good luck.

Richard
Old 01-04-2002, 04:44 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Ignatius,
If I can offer some advice. Do not even bother. They will probably not reply and you will then be put on a wathc list. Also you must contact your local Porsche authority. If you live in the USA that will be PCNA. UK PCGB etc etc. PAG is basically for Germans and for the others to work to.
Richard is quite right, they will sue you in a heart beat. Porsche do not licence production of anything unless they have complete control over it. Porsche models are licenced as are other products including clothing. Porsche have a large clothing range as do the PCA andother official clubs. They do not like independent clubs, let alone other forms of clothing suppliers,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

PS: For the record I do not agree with Porsches policies but at the moment there is nothing we can do about it.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:44 PM
ignatius
AutoX

Originally posted by Steve Lavigne:
<STRONG>I hope that "enthusiest" site on that link you listed is a joke!

-Steve</STRONG>
Well, I can't take the credit for it, but someone did make it. I wouldn't be so harsh, it's obviously the work of someone who loves Porsches, but is not so talented in web design -- or spelling. But it's the effort that counts, right

Richard, Porsche makes it pretty clear about their name, and also Carrera, Targa, Boxster, Cayenne, and Tequipment, as well as their crest -- can't use it.

However, there's -- and this is what I need an e-mail address for -- more gray areas in this subject, like 911, 986, 964, 993, 996, 356, etc... Nowhere does it say Porsche owns the trademarks those numbers. And it would be odd for a company to HAVE ownership to the number 911, as it's far too common.

So is it OK to make a T-shirt that says 911?

And one more thing. A number of you are probably familiar with manufacturer's media or press sites, where they give out high resolution images to members of the press. The images then become property of the company that publishes those images. Now, if the manufacturer gives a publicity image to you, is it OK to put it on a piece of merchandise?

Anyway, thanks for the help guys, it's appreciated.
Old 01-04-2002, 05:26 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Iggy,

I don't think you can be prohibited from using numbers; but, you would probably be wise to avoid mimicking the style or font that Porsche utilizes in using those same numbers.

Anyway, free legal advise is usually worth what you paid for it!

Richard
Old 01-04-2002, 05:31 PM
ignatius
AutoX

Originally posted by richard glickel:
<STRONG>Iggy,

I don't think you can be prohibited from using numbers; but, you would probably be wise to avoid mimicking the style or font that Porsche utilizes in using those same numbers.

Anyway, free legal advise is usually worth what you paid for it!

Richard</STRONG>
Oh, woe is me
Old 01-06-2002, 11:37 AM
ast2000
Instructor

More free legal advice, again worth every penny you're paying for it!

Some companies without any legal standing will send letters to others threatening legal action over copyright infringement. If you quit selling then the're happy, otherwise they probably never send a second letter. However I'm sure Porsche has established legal standing and would probably sue if you would continue to sell what they see an an infringement.

FYI, Porsche's phone number in Stuttgart is 911.
Old 01-06-2002, 04:13 PM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Whoever made that site needs to invest in a spell checker!
Old 01-09-2002, 03:22 PM
ignatius
AutoX

Cool

Well, hope this'll be OK http://www.cafepress.com/flat6
Old 01-16-2002, 08:06 PM
Jgordon
Racer

"However, there's -- and this is what I need an e-mail address for -- more gray areas in this subject, like 911, 986, 964, 993, 996, 356, etc... Nowhere does it say Porsche owns the trademarks those numbers. And it would be odd for a company to HAVE ownership to the number 911, as it's far too common."

Have you all forgotten why it's called the 911 in the first place? Peugeot trademarked the 901 designation. I'm willing to bet Porsche has all the rights to its numbers and then some. Once bitten twice shy, and all that.
Old 01-25-2002, 05:24 AM
John Miles
Pro

They have trademarked all the model names and numbers and the 'distinctive shape' of their models is a Trade Dress. This means they could have a go if you start selling clothing showing a picture that you took of your own porsche!

Here is their NA wording.
J

Porsche, Porsche Crest, Porsche Design, Carrera, Targa, Tiptronic, Porsche Speedster, Varioram, CVTip, Variocam, Boxster, Cayenne, Porsche Cayenne, Tequipment, "Porsche. There is no Substitute." , RS, Porsche Bike FS, Porsche Bike S, Pan Americana, PCCB, PCM, Technorad, Varrera, and other Porsche product names, model numbers, logos, commercial symbols, trade names and slogans are trademarks and the distinctive shapes of Porsche automobiles are trade dress of Dr.Ing. h.c. F.Porsche AG ("PAG") and are protected by U.S. and international trademark laws. You are prohibited from using any of the marks appearing on this website without the express prior written consent of PAG, except as permitted by applicable laws.

Quick Reply: Contacting Porsche AG [legal concerns]