Notices

Anyone read C & D's comparo between the 911 TT & Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 12:14 AM
joecooool
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Anyone read C & D's comparo between the 911 TT & Z06?

We got beat in every catagory by a $50,000 American car. We actually had our driver in the seat too.
Old 08-14-2001, 03:57 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by joecooool:
<STRONG>We got beat in every catagory by a $50,000 American car. We actually had our driver in the seat too.</STRONG>
i don't really care. i've ridden in both cars, and i would much rather pay the premium. You cannot drive a Z06 everyday, or at least I feel that i couldnt. The car is uncomfortable on the highway, it slips and slides in the lightest water, the 911 on the other hand can cruise at high speed in less than perfect conditions. IMO, the 911 turbo is probably the ultimate daily driver. In addition to what I said, for some reason i don't think The corvette Z06 would've won if CnD wasn't so biased, notice how the Lingenfelter 'vette won the tuner cars, with the Porsche probably in 2nd. These are just my opinions though.
Old 08-18-2001, 10:19 AM
Carlos
Banned

C&D biased to American cars? Wake up. Yeah vettes won bothe categories. And no the Porsche didn't finish second among the modified cars. It finished fourth! Behind 2 vettes and a RX7. C&D had a lot good to say about the 911, but numbers don't lie. I thought the "vast right wing conspiracy" had been disbanded since Bill Clinton left office.
Old 08-18-2001, 09:43 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Carlos:
<STRONG>C&D biased to American cars? Wake up. Yeah vettes won bothe categories. And no the Porsche didn't finish second among the modified cars. It finished fourth! Behind 2 vettes and a RX7. C&D had a lot good to say about the 911, but numbers don't lie. I thought the "vast right wing conspiracy" had been disbanded since Bill Clinton left office.</STRONG>
Mallett 'vette and PFS RX7 both broke, if both broke how they win? And they did not print which car came in after the Lingenfelter vette, i made my own assumption and if you noticed i wrote PROBABLY as well.
Old 08-19-2001, 10:03 AM
Carlos
Banned

Zamir, read the article, they broke after they put thier numbers up, and lost stars dor durability. The 911 did get the max 5 stars for both durability and drivability. It just wan't as fast as either vette or the rx7.
Old 08-23-2001, 06:20 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What I want to know is how Chevy shaved several HUNDRED pounds off the 'vette? With similar weight, the 911 may have done better in the objective numbers tests.
Old 08-23-2001, 09:25 PM
Macabre
Instructor

Same way Porsche did it with the GT2. The extra weight is the front drivetrain and interior toys.
Old 08-25-2001, 06:21 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But wasn't this a stock Chevy? And 3500lbs for the Porsche seems higher than others I've seen. Perhaps it was a pre-production Porsche that everyone else got (ringer?).
Old 08-28-2001, 09:28 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Question

I noticed the weight also. I thought that was a bit high. But I'm not sure what the configuration of the car was. Some TT's come in with a high dose of options such as the stereo system and communication system, etc. I would imagine these add weight. Come to think of it I don't know if this was a tiptronic or not either?

Anyway I've got a 2001 six-speed TT and I want to get it corner balanced and have the suspension tweaked one day so I'll get a weight then.

I BELIEVE the stock weight is stated by PCNA as being 3388 lbs. But it is just as likely that C&D took published information and did not actually weigh the cars.
Old 08-29-2001, 01:09 PM
Pigface1
Track Day

Originally posted by ZAMIRZ:
<STRONG>

i don't really care. i've ridden in both cars, and i would much rather pay the premium. You cannot drive a Z06 everyday, or at least I feel that i couldnt. The car is uncomfortable on the highway, it slips and slides in the lightest water, the 911 on the other hand can cruise at high speed in less than perfect conditions. IMO, the 911 turbo is probably the ultimate daily driver. In addition to what I said, for some reason i don't think The corvette Z06 would've won if CnD wasn't so biased, notice how the Lingenfelter 'vette won the tuner cars, with the Porsche probably in 2nd. These are just my opinions though.</STRONG>
It was not a stock Z06. . the two Corvettes were a Mallet, and a Lingenfelter Twin Turbo. .the same car they clocked at 225mph and 221mph. http://www.lingenfelter.com/packages...ng_stageII.htm

Funny. . At the vette board we always complain that the magazines are biased towards BMW. lol Bang for the buck, Z06 is the way to go @ $50K or less. . as a daily driver, no way. I'm a vette driver, however I can honestly say if I had a choice between the two, I'd take the 2001/2002 911 Twin Turbo in a heartbeat. No questions asked. However, you can get a 650bhp 223mph Lingenfelter TT for not much over $100k, and it CAN be used as a daily driver. . it's pretty normal until the turbos wake up.

As far as shaving weight in the Z06. . The car is light as it is, it's fiberglass. They also shaved weight everywhere else, including using thinner glass on the windows, etc.

Quick Reply: Anyone read C & D's comparo between the 911 TT & Z06?