Notices

Rennlister Ages

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2001, 11:33 AM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Rennlister Ages

While reading some of the posts by "Carlos" and a few others, I was just wondering What is the average age of most of the posters to these web boards? It seems there are a lot of young people. While I'm happy to have young car enthusiasts show their interest I could live without all the chest pounding, "I handed him his ***", "320HP stock isn't much" and such immature praddle. Can we just discuss our automotive interests and stop with all this "Then-you-have a problem, No-you do-dude" crap?
Old 07-12-2001, 12:12 PM
Ed Ruiz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

I tend to agree, but I've seen similar "chest pounding" from older folks as well. As the saying goes, "Growing old is enevitalbe. Growing up is optional."

What i find most interesting is that the folks who are participating in sanctioned performance driving events (i.e., Driver's Ed or Autocross, or even Club Racing) do not, as a general rule, brag about it. IMO, it seems that the vast majority of such boasting comes from street racers, who seem to lack any concern for their own safety or that of anyone else.

Like I've said many times (and I will not back down on this), "Street Racing is for IDIOTS". On that note, I consider the source of anyone who boasts about their driving prowess.
Old 07-12-2001, 12:41 PM
BigPorscheGuy39
Banned

I find it quite enjoyable to read the really adept older male 'deflections' of these youthful posturings.

Ed, you hit it: Posturing behaviour is inversely proportional to driving skill and experience. Why? 'Cause any experienced driver has been humbled once or twice by something or someone in his long career.
Old 07-12-2001, 02:01 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Talking

Originally posted by BigPorscheGuy39:
<STRONG>Ed, you hit it: Posturing behaviour is inversely proportional to driving skill and experience. Why? 'Cause any experienced driver has been humbled once or twice by something or someone in his long career.</STRONG>
LOL! I used to have way too much ego too, until a 40-something year old "girl" handed me my hat in a FF race. Of course, at the time, I didn't think that it mattered that she'd been racing for 20+ years. It was quite the humbling experience. Now I know that I'm not really fast, just faster than the slow guys.
Old 07-13-2001, 11:24 AM
Planter91C2
Advanced

Dan, i must be to young to understand some of your language. what is "praddle"

i'm 31, that's pretty old if you ask me. whenever i hear some old guy complaining or whining about something it makes me try harder not to ever get like that. thanks!
Old 07-13-2001, 05:12 PM
BigPorscheGuy39
Banned

Smile

prat·tle (prtl)
n.
1. Idle or meaningless chatter; babble.
2. A sound suggestive of such chattering; a babbling noise.

Prattle is kind of a noise you hear, a chatter, like the grunts and hoots you hear from a crowd of teens as one teen downs a beer through a straw up his nose while mumbling to himself "I'll never get old".
Old 07-14-2001, 12:47 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm 35, one of those go-to-the-track-and-keep-the-streets-safe kind of guys.

I'm with you, when the pissing contests start I just tune out.
Old 07-23-2001, 02:40 PM
aquabat911
Instructor

well just for your guys info I am 26 and so far have stayed out of the chest pounding. I guess I have realized that cars can be enjoyable for more than just how fast they go. I used to work for a car company and got to drive some amazingly fast cars, didn't make them fun though. A 289 cobra is actualy more enjoyable to drive than a 650hp 427. I enjoy my 3 liter SC it is faster than your average sports car but would get eatin by a new Corvette in a straight line. Oh well I like my SC nothing else puts a smile on my face like it can, and I've tried alot of other cars.
Happy Motoring,
Old 07-31-2001, 08:17 PM
Lew
Advanced

Smile

Well, I'm 52. I owned a 67 350 Firebird when it was new and a Datsun 240Z when it was new. I also raced motorcycles. I certainly did my share of posturing and street racing, but I guess my testosterone levels have dropped off. Racing taught me long ago that some people are just better and faster, and there's nothing you can do about it. Now I just tool around in my 944 and bask in the admiration of people who see me get in and out of the car without grunting. Happy motoring!
Old 08-06-2001, 05:18 PM
Tony'z911
Advanced

I'm 26 as well, and I leave the chest pounding alone, but I have to admit that I do participate in an occasional race on the street. I guess my testosterone levels are still a little high. This doesn’t happen often since I only race those people who come up and want to race me. I don’t go out looking for a race, but I don’t usually turn them down either. I know this can be dangerous, but I do NOT go flying by people at 120 mph when they are only doing 55 mph. I use my head, don’t cut anyone off, and don’t even attempt to race if traffic is heavy at all!
I do appreciate the maturity level of this board as compared to a few Honda boards that I also belong to. There is just way too many 15-20 year old kids on those boards who are just trying to have fun making people mad and fooling around. They are not there to learn and share any knowledge that they may have.
-Tony &lt;&gt; 99 Civic Si, *Soon to be SC owner!
Old 08-07-2001, 05:29 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Thumbs up

Handed his ***, blew his doors off. Whatever. I'm 16 and loving high school.
Old 08-07-2001, 02:27 PM
Ed Ruiz
Burning Brakes

Red face

More chest pounding from the "my dog is bigger than your dog" sophomores. Furtunately, many of them wind up winning a Darwin award. Unfortunately, some of them take innocent bystanders along with them.

To all you would-be Michael Andretti's, save your "need for speed" for the track. The streets are not your private playground. Just because you think you have a fast car and think you know how to drive it fast does not give you the right to find out on the street. The other drivers and pedestrian do not have a clue of your intentions even if you think you do. Moreover, you don't have any idea of how well or poorly maintained the car you are racing against is, nor do you have any clue as to your opponent's driving abilities. Considering the consequences, it seems a rather pi$$ poor idea to put your life (and those of others) on the line just so you can prove that your car was faster than his/hers. That is flat out childish behavior, and anyone who defends it is a MORON!

As I told my teenage Son (when he got his license), "Driving is a privilege given to those who agree to be responsible. GROW THE "F" UP, or you are not likely to make it to your next birthday." BTW, I also said I'd kill him if he ever died as a result of a street race." (He's now 22 and saves his "need for speed" at the track when I go. His reactions are better than mine, but this "Old Man" still has more driving finnese. As a result, my lap times are a few seconds faster than his. BTW, we're driving the same 928GT.) YMMV.
Old 08-08-2001, 04:14 PM
Barry Schultz
Intermediate

Smile

Like all generalizations, it only takes *one* exception to prove the generalization wrong.

I've witnessed good and bad behaviour from young and old alike. I am more appalled when it comes from an older person however. They should know better, but alas, it isn't always the case now is it

Old 08-12-2001, 10:37 AM
BigPorscheGuy39
Banned

Smile

Barry: You said "Like all generalizations, it only takes *one* exception to prove the generalization wrong."

I think the generalization is apt. It's not often we see 95 year olds, or Ed Ruiz, pulling burn outs (heh heh) - but I can count on my hands the number of times I see someone under 30 doing so.

YMMV
Old 08-12-2001, 02:44 PM
Patricia
Racer

As I told my teenage Son . . .[/QB]
I think you just answered part of the question about age very well - somehow, things just look different when it's your kids out there! No matter how invincable they think they are, you know different. I'm with you, me kids didn't get their licences until they passed my test, and I'll kill them (and take their keys away) if I ever catch them even thinking about stupid behavior like that.

His reactions are better than mine, but this "Old Man" still has more driving finnese. As a result, my lap times are a few seconds faster than his. BTW, we're driving the same 928GT.)[/QB]
My son's with out to a DE event with me twice, and both my son and daughter are coming with me to Buttonwillow next weekend. Hopefully, DE will fulfill their need for speed, and they'll really improve their everyday driving skills.

Luckily for me, my son drives his own car, giving me an advantage, . I think he's got the potential to be very good.

Pat, South Pasadena

pa, clearly with the older group, and never had a testostorone problem, ever!

Quick Reply: Rennlister Ages