Notices

new here. trying to cope with a porsche itch...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 12:14 PM
everso
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new here. trying to cope with a porsche itch...

hey everyone!

i've had my audi tt 225 coupe for about 7 years now...my/our only car.....and i do still love it very much. it is modified with a chip, borla exhaust, neuspeed/koni suspension, and a bunch of small mods to make it run quite pleasantly....i still dig the iconic shape and the still-gorgeous-to-me interior.....

but i've acquired the porsche 911 itch. so i've come here to learn. i'm sure it will not help...it will probably make the itch worse

how many of you have 911s/Porsches as your only car? daily driver?

Old 12-17-2010, 01:08 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

welcome-
make the change.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

I used to have a '84 911 as a daily driver, but that was a log time ago and I was single then. It does work depending what you need the car for. The newer the model the easier it will be to used it as a DD.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:36 AM
everso
Cruisin'

thanks. i have a couple friends who survive only with 911s, however they really don't drive much....i, on the other hand, absolutely love driving....and use cars quite alot. the TT has been a superb daily driver, accomplishing everything i've asked it to do----as well as pound through snow.

I am looking for feedback from people who do DD their 911s....as i don't want more than 1 car, and i'd like it to serve solely as our car.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:00 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Go to the 997 forum and search daily driver. A lot of guys further north than us DD. I don't think you'll have a problem with winter tires. We only get a couple of storms a year worth mentioning.

The Audi looks gorgeous.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:29 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by everso
hey everyone!

i've had my audi tt 225 coupe for about 7 years now...my/our only car.....and i do still love it very much. it is modified with a chip, borla exhaust, neuspeed/koni suspension, and a bunch of small mods to make it run quite pleasantly....i still dig the iconic shape and the still-gorgeous-to-me interior.....

but i've acquired the porsche 911 itch. so i've come here to learn. i'm sure it will not help...it will probably make the itch worse

how many of you have 911s/Porsches as your only car? daily driver?

I recently replaced my Audi TT (the third one I've owned) with an '02 Boxster that I use as a daily driver. The Boxster is relatively inexpensive, and is versatile/functional with its two trunks and a drop-top for really big items that you might have to carry.

My second car is a 911, which is my fair weather, week-end car.

If I could have only one car, it would be another Audi TT or a Porsche Cayman.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:51 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

just surrender! : )
Old 12-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait until that one is a little older.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:31 AM
tonka858
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

When a Audi breaks your wallet is really going to feel it.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:57 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 996 Carrera 4s that performs daily duties. I also have a 97 civic that is strictly for the track and a Nissan Titan that was my work truck, but is now basically used to haul around my civic trailer. I guess I could use my Titan a little more for daily duties, but the C4s is just so practical and versatile that I have never had a situation where I would prefer or need to use my Titan over my porsche.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:09 AM
everso
Cruisin'

thanks fellas. interesting to hear different voices on the matter. daniel and tonka; well it's already getting 'older'! nearly 120k miles on it......and ALOT of money has been put into it to keep it running.....too much in fact.

VGM, were you ever on audiworld or quattroworld when you owned your TT? i'm wondering if i know you from there, especially as you owned several....

those of you who are telling me to make the change.....thank you for making the itch stronger!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:07 PM
ask
Track Day

I use my 2009 4S Coupe as my daily driver since I got it about a month ago. I have a toddler seat in the back to take our toddler to the park and such. So far it's been practical enough for my short commute to the office and an occasional grocery store run and such. I never really enjoyed driving before like I do now; so at least for me that outweighs the occasional practicality issues.

We live in Los Angeles, so there's no issue with snow for driving around town any time of the year here.

We have a VW GTI, too, that my wife usually drives (and my old VW Jetta which I'm keeping at least for the rest of the winter to drive myself to the snow and such). The Carrera was instead of buying an SUV which would have been the "practical" choice. :-)
Old 01-15-2011, 08:20 PM
everso
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ask
I use my 2009 4S Coupe as my daily driver since I got it about a month ago. I have a toddler seat in the back to take our toddler to the park and such. So far it's been practical enough for my short commute to the office and an occasional grocery store run and such. I never really enjoyed driving before like I do now; so at least for me that outweighs the occasional practicality issues.
very nice. the C4S is the natural choice of mine when considering a 996/997 911.....as I will be driving it in all weather, snow, rain, etc......i'm curious why you chose a C4S in L.A.? just for added grip in general?

thanks!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A 997 Targa 4(S) would be IMHO the most practical all weather Carrera...
Old 06-15-2011, 03:04 AM
ask
Track Day

Originally Posted by everso
very nice. the C4S is the natural choice of mine when considering a 996/997 911.....as I will be driving it in all weather, snow, rain, etc......i'm curious why you chose a C4S in L.A.? just for added grip in general?
Better late than never, I hope; I need to setup subscriptions to I don't miss replies!

Did you get your car yet?

Anyway, yeah – just for the added grip in general. Honestly I've never driven any other 911's than the one I bought so I couldn't tell you if it made much of a difference in this car.

About a decade ago I almost bought one of the original Audi TT quattros after test driving it a fair bit and on that one the four wheel drive made a huge difference for how easy it was to stay on the road in "spirited maneuvers". (Though now 10 years older I make much less spirited maneuvers in general ...)

Quick Reply: new here. trying to cope with a porsche itch...