Notices

learning to drive a 911 (997 C2)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 09:42 PM
ChadF
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default learning to drive a 911 (997 C2)

Hi there. I am very interested in purchasing a 997.2 C2 in the coming months. I really love many things about the car, yet I have only driven a 911 one time; so the things I love are from one test drive (20-30min) and then things I have read and learned about the cars.

I am a little concerned with the different driving behavoir of the rear engined car. Recent cars were BMWs and Audi. The concern has nothing to do with my test drive as I thought the drive was GREAT- but I did not push the car at all on the drive.

I'll get to my question:
How long did it take to be used to the rear engine format on spirited drives? How long until you got the hang of it and felt comfortable controlling the car at 7/10? 8/10? I want to get a feel for how long until I really feel in control of the car pushing mildly.

I am sure the best way to get this feeling is doing some car control clinics, autocross and instructed track days with the PCA- so in this context, how long?

I know it takes years and years to get near mastering the car (if that is possible on this or any car), and I very much look forward ot that journey, but the question again is how long until I am comfy at 7/10, not 10/10.

Any discussions is very welcome, I am eager to hear your experiences. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Modern 911s have become much easier to drive, especially with the introduction of PSM (Porsche Stability Management...or as some call it Please Save Me). Certainly nothing to be feared, but understood and respected (In other words, don't lift at the apex).

You can learn how to use the rear weight bias to help rotate the car at autocross or a skid pad.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:49 PM
ChadF
Intermediate

It sounds, from ltc's comment, and through reading elsewhere, that the electronics of the car really make for a very safe drive as long as the driver is not foolish. I guess that is my underlying question, safety really, that I'll be driving with my two young boys and want to be sure I can control the car. I want to be able to have fun with the car and the boys, but remain well this side of absolute safety. I also want this to be a great introduction to what I hope is a long-time Porsche and PCA experience.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:55 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Porsche is a very difficult car to master, and it will take years and years of training to get there.

But you don't have to master it to be safe and have fun. The new cars are not like the old ones - they are very safe, very composed. PSM is very good, it will catch the car if it starts to slide, but really the truth is that you don't even need the PSM in the new cars because the chassis/suspensions/etc are so well sorted that the car is not unstable at all.

Scary things like "lift off oversteer" from the old cars basically don't happen in the new cars. The only way it would be unsafe is if you intentionally do something stupid like floor it in 1st gear around an icy corner.

IMO this is what makes the new cars so great - very safe and a great DD, and you can just go out and drive it and not worry about anything, but if you want to get into performance driving, they are very complex and can offer years of fun trying to master the dynamics and weight transfer.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:44 PM
ChadF
Intermediate

So...for example, on a back mountain road with loads of twisties and cambers in corners that are far from perfect, it seems that I can expect the car to behave quite well. I am worried in this situation that the car may punish me or be less forgiving than a front engine car. I want the answer to be no, but I am obviously hesitant due to lack of experience.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:22 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

May I suggest you look at the Porsche Sport Driving School, in Birmingham Alabama. As a new 997 owner I went the the 1st session with a friend of mine and we had a blast.
Drive their cars and learn from an impressive list of skilled drivers.

The environment is a good beginning experience.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:06 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChadF
So...for example, on a back mountain road with loads of twisties and cambers in corners that are far from perfect, it seems that I can expect the car to behave quite well. I am worried in this situation that the car may punish me or be less forgiving than a front engine car. I want the answer to be no, but I am obviously hesitant due to lack of experience.
Leave PSM on, you will be just fine. The car sticks to the road marvelously.

It's absolutely a good idea to go to some classes on how to drive the car, not just for safety but because it is great fun and a great way to get to know the car in a safe environment.

PSDS is very good but also expensive. Your local PCA should have a DS day that's very cheap and a good start, and then DE on a track if you want to continue.

In fact I think modern Porsches are *more* forgiving than most front engine cars. Certainly all the new American cars with huge engines in the front will kick the tail out much easier than a 997 and toss you straight into a ditch.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:08 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

My bone stock 997 was so much more forgiving on the track than my race car it was ridiculous.

Quick Reply: learning to drive a 911 (997 C2)