Notices

First Porsche... 993 or Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:48 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First Porsche... 993 or Cayman S?

Dear Rennlist Members
My wife and I are looking for a combination car that will serve as a weekend commuter and as a entry track car to shift us away from muscle cars and drag racing.
After test driving a few cars and debating the pros/cons between them we cant decide on whether we should opt for a Cayman S or a 993 (non-turbo). Both can be found hovering around $30k with reasonable mileage.
I really love the Cayman for its performance, but what scares me is that the prices are going to take a dump like the Boxsters and I will lose my A** on it. I love the 993 for its price stability and style, but I worry about buying an 11+ year old car for that much money.
We can afford the car, tires, etc. but if I lose a $12,000 engine than I will be in real trouble.
What are your takes on the two cars and your thoughts on the long term (6+ years) price stability of the Cayman.
Thank you all for your feedback.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello and welcome to Rennlist.

The 993 and CaymanS are very different cars, as you would expect given the engine placement and age of the cars. The Cayman will have a more modern interior (electronics and comfort) but the 993 IMHO is more like a 'classic' Porsche 911 interior and feel.

As for Cayman depreciation, I would expect them to follow the Carrera/Boxsters (and all the other modern Porsches), since there is no reason for them not to.
996 Turbos can be had for $45K, with MSRP's well over $110K, such is the nature of new vehicle depreciation combined with relatively high production numbers.

Current economy aside for the moment, 993 prices are more or less stable (and actually somewhat equal to or above 996 Turbo prices as an example), so as a percentage, the 993 will lose less value than a Cayman.

The Cayman can likely be purchased with a Porsche CPO warranty, if you are concerned about engine reliability (the 996TT, like the GT2, GT3 and all the 993's and 964's) use what is perhaps the greatest production engine in Porsche history, the M64/GT1 derived block/engine. True dry sump, a masterpiece.

I would suggest spending some time in the Cayman forum (and Boxster forum since they are basically identical) and the 993 forum. I would also spend some time in the Racing/DE forum regarding track modifications for reliability (deep sump oil pan for the Cayman....not needed for the 993 due to dry sump) and safety.

Rennlist has some excellent expert resources and individuals.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:12 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

LTC,
Thank you for the info. I will dig deeper into the benefits of the m64 engine. They seem like they respond better to bolt-ons than the newer 996 and Cayman Engines (non-tt).
I have't driven a 993 yet, so that will be my first priority.
Is there a good place to poste a WTB add on this forum (or another Porsche forum). I just got my financing approved at a very good intro rate. I have 1 month to find a car at the low rate, so its time to get serious (plus it would be fun to show up at the Monterey Historics in something faster than my 100hp Jetta TDI
Thanks again,
Old 07-21-2009, 08:40 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Jeeze,
Well, I guess I spoke too soon. I jumped the gun on my last comment. I was denied my auto loan. They said I didn't have any previous car buying history! What a load of bull*&#$. Its not my fault I paid cash for all my previous cars. I would buy my Porsche outright, but I just funded a kitchen overhaul that wiped out my cash reserves. I was counting on my 770+ credit score to get me a loan. I guess they really aren't giving anyone loans right now.
I guess I could put a car on the credit card...
Old 07-21-2009, 09:38 PM
DLennox
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a 770 credit score and enough income to support your debt (less than 40% debt load) it is easy to get a loan right now unless you are 18. That might do it, but if you are in the working world there is no reason to get turned down with the info you posted here unless there is more to the story. Check another lender, credit is easy for good credit and equity right now.
Dave
Old 07-22-2009, 12:30 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Thats what I thought too. I was a bit shocked and embarrassed to be denied, and I apologize for venting on this forum.
I am not quitting yet, I applied through a credit union with an intro rate that is very good (5.5% for 60 months) and they might just be using that as a teaser with no intention of loaning money...
I am seriously leaning towards the 993 right now. Price stability and a great engine sounds very convincing.
Thanks again
Old 07-22-2009, 05:29 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me add my $0.02 regarding the original question of 993 or Cayman S...

I have owned a Boxster for the past 5 years and always liked my car. It ran well, handled and cornered on a dime, reliable (although some models had engine related issues) and when the Cayman came out wanted to upgrade. On the track at Auto X's and at Willow Springs, the Cayman's always out performed the Boxster category. Even after some extensive modifications (exhaust system, suspension package, chip) I could not muster enough performance to be satisfied.

Then 2 months ago I purchased a 1990 Porsche C2. What was I thinking? The 911 is pure Porsche. The drive is awesome, handles very well and feels better than the Boxster. You should drive the 993 and see it for what it's meant to be. A great driving car, one which you would enjoy for years and will hold the resale value allot better than the Cayman would. I was planning on selling my Boxster when I purchased the 964 but the price it commands on the open market is way too low to give up my car and I've decided to keep it and pass it on within the family (daughter 18, and wife can share it).

My choice would be the 993 over the Cayman.

Last edited by SAM DACOSTA; 08-13-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

That is an inspiring photo, Sam.

Chaoscreature, I think it was your lack of cash reserves that knocked you down a bit. Hang in there, it's worth the wait.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Cayman used
Old 07-24-2009, 08:42 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Okay,
I am back in business. I just had to bypass the girl at my Credit Union and speak directly with the loan officer, then I was approved
Are there any Porsche 993 owners in the North County San Diego area that would go out for a ride with me wife and I? If so, please PM me or e-mail me at chaoscreature@hotmail.com
Also, I still need a place to post a wanted ad. I have been checking Cars.com and Autotrader.com daily for the past two weeks. It seems I may need to do some travelling to get what I want at a price I can afford.
Thanks again for the replies!
Old 07-24-2009, 08:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

You may consider becoming a member of RL and posting an ad in the members classifieds here.
You can also try posting in the 993 and Cayman forums to see if anyone is selling their cars or knows of someone who is.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:57 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Also check with the local PCA Zone 8 Club. They will have information that will assist in your search. Congratulation, now go and find that elusive 993...
Old 07-24-2009, 09:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

The 993 forum is having a Cars and Coffee gathering:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...th-2009-a.html

You can also post and watch the Rennlist West Coast forum for gatherings as well
https://rennlist.com/forums/west-us-rennlist-region-97/

Good opportunities to see 993s, ask questions, etc.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:04 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Okay,
I test drove a 993 today. I was a little dissapointed though... something felt off about the car. I am going to schedule another test drive with a different car tomorrow. I really want to love the car, my wife and I both like the style but just didn't like the feel of the one we drove today.
Are the shift throws in the 993s always VERY long? I had to adjust the seat forward just so I could put the car in first!
I'll post my opinion again tomorrow after trying another one.
Thanks again for the support.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:42 AM
buzztt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all porsches are like that, a $200.00 short shift kit takes care of it

Quick Reply: First Porsche... 993 or Cayman S?