Notices

Driving a Porsche...in this economy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:11 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Driving a Porsche...in this economy?

My post is somewhat of a confession to possibly feeling "guilty" about driving a Porsche in these generally difficult economic and ecological times especially when so many people are in financial trouble.

We live in a fairly privileged university town located in a rural part of TN where people are struggling to hang on to jobs and meet their day to day challenges. I have to admit that of late I have been feeling a bit guilty/conscious about driving my Porsche.

I am/was about to plan for my next Porsche and got thinking whether this would be a "responsible" thing to do from the perspective of a member of the community.

I was also wondering whether others on this forum are feeling the same way and what their resolve was.

Last edited by Haku; 02-25-2009 at 03:25 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:41 AM
vtc4198
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've earned what you have, drive em
Old 02-25-2009, 02:48 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You've earned what you have, drive em
+1... besides while some will feel jealous, others like me, will be inspired!
Old 02-25-2009, 02:47 PM
kcl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never be apologetic for working your butt off to achieve what you've achieved. There will always be those less fortunate than you, and as long as you don't flaunt what you have, just enjoy it.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:27 PM
rgrimm
Instructor

On the other hand, any car you buy used doesn't directly support any automaker's "new car" sales.

And ecologically-speaking, my '84 has the best highway gas mileage of anything I own!
Old 02-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Working 100 hours a week, I'll drive what I damn well choose. I don't care what others think. Those others are ASSuming. They have no idea about things like my charitable work/contributions.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:21 PM
autobahn_ambition
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is an interesting topic. One that many have thought about. There seems to be a general feeling that the "rich" got us into this economic situation. As a result, the symbols of wealth have taken an image punch in the nose.

I feel this is unfair mostly because spending is going to eventually get us out of this economic pitfall. If communal feelings of resentment provent the American buyer from buying then we can expect more economic decline. If one wants to buy a Porsche new or used it helps the economy. As we all know, the used Porsche requires maintenance and helps the economy in perhaps a longer term way. The community that supports our hobby appreciates the economic boost - thier families depend on it.

Buying any automotive product at this point is good for the economy. Only consumer spending and availability to credit will revive our economy. For evidence of this, refer to the economic depression of 1819; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_of_1819 . Sound fimuliar?

In short, if you want a Porsche, then go buy a Porsche. You may inspire a young person to believe in themselves and strive for the dream. If you feel guilty, then share your prize with people and spread Porsche goodwill in this manner. People will respond. When I bought my first Porsche, there were people at work and the gym that showed signs of resentment. I dealt with it by offering them rides in the car and, for a select few, driving opportunites. Such goodwill spread and people started loving the car. Three people at work bought Porsches within a few years.

Just do it...

Kevin Sims
Autobahn Ambition Magazine
Editor
www.AutobahnAmbitionMAG.com
Old 02-26-2009, 02:42 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I've got two and I am not looking back. There is no need to feel guilty over success. Sht, I've put my life on the line for this country countless times. No need to ask for permission to live now.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all for the responses.

Originally Posted by autobahn_ambition
This is an interesting topic. One that many have thought about. There seems to be a general feeling that the "rich" got us into this economic situation. As a result, the symbols of wealth have taken an image punch in the nose.

I feel this is unfair mostly because spending is going to eventually get us out of this economic pitfall. If communal feelings of resentment provent the American buyer from buying then we can expect more economic decline. If one wants to buy a Porsche new or used it helps the economy. As we all know, the used Porsche requires maintenance and helps the economy in perhaps a longer term way. The community that supports our hobby appreciates the economic boost - thier families depend on it.

Buying any automotive product at this point is good for the economy. Only consumer spending and availability to credit will revive our economy. For evidence of this, refer to the economic depression of 1819; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_of_1819 . Sound fimuliar?

In short, if you want a Porsche, then go buy a Porsche. You may inspire a young person to believe in themselves and strive for the dream. If you feel guilty, then share your prize with people and spread Porsche goodwill in this manner. People will respond. When I bought my first Porsche, there were people at work and the gym that showed signs of resentment. I dealt with it by offering them rides in the car and, for a select few, driving opportunites. Such goodwill spread and people started loving the car. Three people at work bought Porsches within a few years.

Just do it...

Kevin Sims
Autobahn Ambition Magazine
Editor
www.AutobahnAmbitionMAG.com
Kevin, firstly thank you for taking the time to comprehensively reply to the issues I presented. The points you've highlighted are well balanced and certainly are food for thought.

I have always offered drives/rides to people who admire the car... it inspires them and makes me feel good. I can relate to your experience entirely.

I've recently (2yrs) moved from the UK to the US and am still encumbered with the British notions of how success is perceived and treated by the masses. No disrespect to the Brits, but in the UK other peoples success is more often than not, resented. I guess I don't want to be resented or thought of as flaunting my success. Maybe I'm somewhat overly sensitive and hence my post.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:13 PM
nsantolick
Racer

Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Rittenhouse Neighborhood

I'd rather be resented by the people without the ambition to own a Porsche than sell myself out and drive something that I dislike, hoping that I'll "fit in" with them more.

RE: "The Poor..." - Sure, there's a million situations, and a lot of "good people" "suffering" a bit. In my experience though, a lot of "the poor" will turn down a quick buck if it meant that it would cut in on "their drinking nights" or an opportunity to play their crappy guitar music in front of any captive audience that will listen...

I've been self-employed my whole life. I do a few little things that combined, lets me live the way I'd like to. Over the years, I've had a LOT of "poor" people ask for work. What I mentioned above was the reality of them all and the times when I REALLY needed help, and offered to pay them as much as 4X what they were used to earning, it just didn't matter to them. A "party" or "dart league night" and they would refuse.

The "ecology" thing doesn't bother me either. For one, nobody knows what's "for real" and it seems that anyone who can profit by screaching "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" generally DOES.

Anyway, there's a million ways of looking at the "ecology" thing too. By choosing to buy a used car, I am sparing "mother earth" of ALL of the issues related to the creation of a new car, from raw materials, right?

Screw them, if they don't have any ambition. And it's true, maybe "seeing" something that they want might start the fires of ambition.

You know what the best way to help the poor REALLY is? Its to become wealthy. There really is an unlimited supply of wealth in the world. The people who make, have and spend money do far more than anything else to improve the lives of "the poor..."
Old 03-02-2009, 10:48 AM
jasvoboda
Instructor

I was hanging out at my local dealer and witnessed a guy wearing a suit and carrying a briefcase take delivery of a new turbo. The look on his face was so classic in love I couldn't resist commenting on how nice the car looked. I'll never forget his comment: " It makes all those midnight calls on Saturday worth it." I'm a member of the same 24/7 club and have to agree. The only problem is parking somewhere and having a dimwhit put a 12" key scratch on the rear quarter - which happens frequently in NY.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nsantolick
I'd rather be resented by the people without the ambition to own a Porsche than sell myself out and drive something that I dislike, hoping that I'll "fit in" with them more.

RE: "The Poor..." - ....

I've been self-employed my whole life....

You know what the best way to help the poor REALLY is? Its to become wealthy. There really is an unlimited supply of wealth in the world. The people who make, have and spend money do far more than anything else to improve the lives of "the poor..."
I truly appreciate your input and comments. I too have always been working for myself. As with most of of us there have been challenges and lean times as well as good. I've never felt resentful towards successful people and have myself been inspired by their success. The ones I have admired are fewer and are usually those individuals who have made tremendous contributions to their communities and have remained well grounded. I guess that's what we all try to strive for... balance between reward and awareness and concern for those around you.

Originally Posted by jasvoboda
I was hanging out at my local dealer and witnessed a guy wearing a suit and carrying a briefcase take delivery of a new turbo. The look on his face was so classic in love I couldn't resist commenting on how nice the car looked. I'll never forget his comment: " It makes all those midnight calls on Saturday worth it." I'm a member of the same 24/7 club and have to agree. The only problem is parking somewhere and having a dimwhit put a 12" key scratch on the rear quarter - which happens frequently in NY.
Thank you for your post jasvoboda. I can relate to rewarding oneself after working so hard. It also makes the whole experience so much richer. Good for him!

Its infuriating about the vandalism...makes my blood boil!. I thought that we Brits had a monopoly on the car scratching though! In the UK unfortunately even if you catch the vermin you can't do anything to them except politely ask them to stop... by which time they've beaten you to a pulp! Thank God I now live more in the US.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

A) Drive it proudly. If your success isn't rewarding, what is it worth?

however,

B) Never let it out of your sight. The car-keying behavior is only going to get worse in the current climate.

I've always found the UK situation curious. Even in the "best" neighborhoods there, it seems if you don't have a garage you're going to get vandalized sooner or later. Yet they have the most surveillance cameras in the world?!!!
They have them like every hundred feet on the motorways so that nobody speeds, and everyone accepts that. Yet they can't catch and prosecute vandals and everybody seems resigned to that fact.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:12 PM
BGA9512
Advanced

I proudly drive '88 951 as part of my recycling program. ;-)

Buying a car that holds up for more than 20 years keep a lot of crap out out the landfills (and off the streets)
Old 03-10-2009, 02:41 PM
928SS
Road Warrior
Rennlist Member

a 911? to most, it's just a car out here. thousands of them around. nobody can tell if you own it, rented it, stole it or borrowed it, how much you owe, or sacraficed to have it. just don't park it in a handicapped spot if you are able bodied... that will get you pegged as a jerk.

if you ride around in a 55' motor coach spewing dark diesel clouds into the air and claim to be friend of the environment, you might raise some eyebrows...

Last edited by 928SS; 03-10-2009 at 07:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Driving a Porsche...in this economy?