Roock or J3 Motorsport in Atlanta - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Spin
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roock or J3 Motorsport in Atlanta - Please Help

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum but could really use some help from local Atlantans who have experience and insight with a decison.

I'm ready to drop some big bucks into my '79 911sc. Specifically I'd like to fall in love with it again. It is in great shape but needs to be upgraded. I'm looking to do work in three major areas: 1) Engine and performance, 2) Full blown interior work, and; 3) Exterior upgrade to a Ruf look.

I realize there is a lot of further detail to go into on the specifics but my big question is this. I am begining my due diligence work and want to explore 2 outfits that have hit my radar - Roock and J3 Motorsport.

Ideally I'd like to go to a one stop shop that is highly capable of doing exceptional work in all 3 areas. Can anyone provide insight or thought about either of these shops? Maybe even some alternatives that you've had a great experience with in this type of project?

I really appreciate it......

Last edited by Spin; 04-10-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:41 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

both are great. also consider Rylands. where are you located in Atlanta? J3 is pretty far off the beaten path, but if you live way up 85 they may be the most convenient. if you live up 75, consider Ryland. if you're in midtown, look at Roock.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Spin
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by insite
both are great. also consider Rylands. where are you located in Atlanta? J3 is pretty far off the beaten path, but if you live way up 85 they may be the most convenient. if you live up 75, consider Ryland. if you're in midtown, look at Roock.
Thanks insite, J3 is only 20 minutes away. However, have you done anything with Roock? They come off as a really great option but my concern is that several posts I found indicate a hit-or-miss with them.

Fabian Roock seems to be an excellent, top notch tuner but their business practices keep coming-up as "problematic." Granted the posts are from 2002, and they may have cleaned-up their act since then but I want this to be a great experience... I don't want to spend a lot of time arguing or concerned he is cutting corners.

Who knows, maybe I've already answered my own question.... I just don't want to throw him under the bus based on old postings.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:57 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go ask 'byron in atlanta' at the boxster racing board (http://boxcar-racing.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0); he's a friend of mine who's used them for several years now.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My friend and I from DC both shipped cars last summer and fall to Roock in atlanta to have our engines swapped/upgraded. They did a fantastic job. Fabian can be hard to reach sometimes (because he literally can be all over the world) but he somehow manages to stay personally involved in your project and provides you updates.

What seemed to matter with Roock was when there was an unsolvable DME technical problem he put together an international team to solve the problem. Not many shops have resources like that.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:01 AM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anybody but Roock. I had a horrible experience getting my 3.4 done in my Boxster. Took 6 months longer than promised, I didn't get my old parts back and ended up with some other customer's ECU, which caused me to have a buy a new ECU & alarm module recently when I had problems. I was just happy to get my car out of there when all the pieces finally got put back on. I had a littany of other issues as well. There's got to be a reason he's been in 4 different locations in Atlanta in the 7 or 8 years he's been here.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:10 AM
NAO
Advanced

Randy I take it he is not on your Christmas card list then
Old 07-12-2008, 09:04 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That would be correct! I really don't like to get into bashing, but facts are facts. There's so many good shops around Premier, Motorwerks, J3, Rylands even some Orton guy to name a few I see no reason to use Roock.
Cheers
Randy

Quick Reply: Roock or J3 Motorsport in Atlanta - Please Help