Notices

Why did you choose Porsche over an exotic?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 11:54 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts
Default Why did you choose Porsche over an exotic?

Just curious. I have loved Porsches since I first saw them when I was young. But why did you choose a Porsche over an exotic? It could be even a Ferrari 308 or 328. For people who are buying new 997's, why didn't u get a 355? Turbo buyers could have considered a 360 or Gallardo, and the gallardo has seemed to be low maintenance and reliable. It seems most exotic buyers don't drive their cars much. That's why they have so many problems. The people on Fchat who daily drive their cars or at least drive them a lot report minimal if any problems. So what's your reason?
Old 04-17-2006, 01:12 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

There are different kind of buyers. Posers who care only what kind of prestige the car brings them and people who the purchase of a specific car strikes a cord with them, emotional irational whatever. The same question can be asked to the person who buy a 100 grand 60's musclecar. Its irelevant. I'm afraid only people who have not yet defined why they want a sports car would struggle on the decision between a Porsche, a Ferrari, a Lamborghini or other expensive toy. For the rest the choice is clear. For me the purchase of a 911 was always a dream, driven by the way it looks, the way it sounds, the way it smells, the way it drives. Pure and simple. For someone else it could be identical reasons but for another brand or another car.
So you have to ask yourself that question. What do you value in a car? Being a poser BTW is not a bad thing, to each its own really, but usually posers struggle with this kind of question.
Finally what is an "exotic" and what makes a Porsche a "non exotic" ?
Old 04-17-2006, 11:45 AM
goldsbar
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche not exotic? Where I grew up, they were a fairly rare sighting and considered somewhat exotic. Not Ferrari exotic but exotic. Where I live now, they're just another Camry. 50 miles makes a big difference in perceptions!
Old 04-17-2006, 05:38 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Nice response DJF1. I consider Porsche to be one of the nicest cars made today, but I consider exoitc status something you don't see often. That can also be bad since it attracts a lot of attention while parked so you will be more worried about DD it. Then you won't drive it as much and you won't have as much fun. Porsches are more understated I guess which makes them one of the best DD sports cars around. Not to mention they are way more reliable.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:27 PM
turboGary
Racer

Well.... my father owned 3 356's in the 60's and raced them all untill he went into formula ford in 72' He has been in the porsche scene for many years and I helped him while he raced the 944 Turbo Cup series and he bought a brand new 86' 930. Sadly he stored the car for over ten years and never once drove it or even started it the whole time, it currently has only 20k kms on it to this day and he pulls it out once in a while drives it around the block a few times each yearwithout a sticker or insurance on it. So Porsches have been around me all my life and even when I was 34yrs old my father has never let me drive his 86' 930. So I comprimized buy buying a 72' Beetle and customized it to resemble the closest thing I could to a porsche with bigger motor, lowering it, wide fenders and tires, suspension, custom seats and interior etc etc.... I spent $16k on this thing and have drove it for 9 years until I saved up for the real thing.

Now I am here and finally get to feel what I've dreamed of since a little boy when I thought it would always be out of reach for a little nobody like me with a regular factory job. And a slantnose at that!
Old 04-21-2006, 02:10 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Porsche non-exotic?? GT1-streets, CGT, 959, 968-Turbo, 924-CGT, 964-Slant...etc...etc... Some of the most exotic vehicles in the world are Porsches. I guess it depends on the definition. Then again, Porsche makes cars affordable (relatively) so people can actually drive them the way they were intended. The feel Porsche's have is unrivaled in many other exotics. Its personal preference.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:28 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted some hope of being able to find parts and work on it myself. Figured that ties to VW and Audi meant that the engineering was sound enough to have a reliable weekend getaway car.

Oh, and "Porsche, there is no substitute!"
Old 04-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Gabriel6th
AutoX

For the fact that they are down to earth, you can drive them every day, they are reliable and don't need to be serviced every 5000 miles... oh, and the fact that I might be well-set but not filthy rich
Old 04-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

in no particular order: because it's a timeless car, because of the way it handles and feels. Driving a porsche u feel it grow on you..the same way old rotaries do. They have character. Also, cheaper to mod than ferrari's. cheaper to run than lambo's, have a service schedual akin to that of a honda civic, and are built like brick ****houses. You cantry to brake one and u'll be hardpressed to do so. Also...because a Diablo 6.0 is out of my budget :biggrin:

oh..also because i have enuff storage space in the trunk to fit a person. No i'm not kidding, i had a buddy curl up in half and hop in. People who see my trunk go: Damn.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Gallardo's seem to have been proven reliable so far, except for the premature clutch wear which was $5k+ but that was fixed. They are much cheaper to run than a 355 or 360 since there is no engine out service and Audi now owns Lambo. Hence why reliablity is up. And there are people who drive their fcars and lambos daily including snow. It can be driven like a Porsche, but maintenance will be more.

Nice responses so far.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:33 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by DJF1
There are different kind of buyers...only people who have not yet defined why they want a sports car would struggle on the decision...What do you value in a car?
I drove a Ferrari, Aston Martin and bunch of Porsches before deciding what to buy. For me, the feel (X-Factor) and pleasure of the overall driving experience on a narrow winding back road are why I own a sports car. While the true exotics were great, they didn't feel substantially better than a Porsche to me and I couldn't see the value in paying more to buy and maintain one of them just to impress the neighbors. I decided on the Cayman S since I thought it was the best handling Porsche and on the roads I frequent that was my highest priority.

Alan
Old 04-26-2006, 10:39 PM
rayng
Rennlist Member

Although I haven't driven many of the exotics, I've sat in Diablos, 355s, Vantage, and Exiges. I like my p-car because it's can be a daily driver, sounds great, handles great, wonderful mid-range power, and most of all, is easy to get in and out of. I have a bad back and most of those exotics are so uncomfortable that it literally hurts to drive.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:32 PM
ajax1964
Advanced

I've driven most of the exotics (including the Veyhron Bugatti)... while I love the Gallardo, there's no way you could daily drive that thing, which is what I'm doing with my 996TT. As a second or third car I'd definately do a Lambo ($ permitting ), but you essentially have to drive those cars like they are slolen, even in the e-drive automatic mode. The Porsche can go as easy or hard as you want, and it doesn't attract anywhere near as much "energy" from the general public. While I think the TT is an exotic (as are the extended warranty services starting to unfortunately) it doesn't draw the attenton of the others. No matter where you are with the Lambo somebody wants to talk about it, or has something to say about it.....
Old 05-03-2006, 06:23 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just can't see myself driving a Ferrari or Lambo every day. To me they are more of a show piece and it would hurt me if it gets a little ding or scratch. In a Porsche it would hurt, but not as bad. Besides I can't see hammering a Ferrari as hard as a Porsche and have it run the next day reliable as the 911 would. Yes they are more reliable these days, but still more finiky then a Porsche.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:44 PM
rhys
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sillent Killer
Nice response DJF1. I consider Porsche to be one of the nicest cars made today, but I consider exoitc status something you don't see often.
I bought a 928 for the best of 3 worlds: old enough to be a classic, rare enough (and powerful enough) to be an exotic and, albeit front-engine, rear-drive, which is anathema to some narrow-minded Porsche f(v?)olk, it is every bit a Porsche!

Quick Reply: Why did you choose Porsche over an exotic?