Notices

928 vs Testarossa

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 11:09 AM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 928 vs Testarossa

Disclaimer: nothings been negotiated and approved by the SO. so I'm a long way from purchase.

There's a black Testarossa on sale in the nearest city to us for $89k CDN. I've yet to drive it but have seen it and had the sales guys start it and idle for a few mins.

The car appears very straight, excellent exterior and interior condition, it starts well and idles smoothly. I believe these V12s require engine revomal for almost any maintenance........is this true? How often do they need maintained? Any big things to look for as a weakness to design (ie timing belt). Any owners out there that also have a 928 that provide comparison?

If I do decide to go through with the purchase it will be additional to the 928 et al so please spare the flame!
Old 10-30-2005, 11:27 AM
Vilhuer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

What year is it? This has large effect on what can go wrong. Check these links for more details:

http://www.red-headed.com/index2.htm...ainbolt.html&3
http://www.red-headed.com
http://www.ferrarichat.com
http://www.ferrarilist.com

Send mail to Edvar and Arvid. They might have some data on TR you're looking or they might know someone who has if you have cars VIN.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Alan
Electron Wrangler
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Watch out - I expect Randy will be in soon to move this to the "Testarossa forum"

Maybe you can get some answers if he's a late riser on Sundays!

Very glad you aren't planning to sacrifice the 928 though!

Alan
Old 10-30-2005, 11:32 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Multiply your 928 maintenance costs by 10 and you'll approach the cost of maintaining the 'rossa.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:47 AM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan
Watch out - I expect Randy will be in soon to move this to the "Testarossa forum"

Maybe you can get some answers if he's a late riser on Sundays!

Very glad you aren't planning to sacrifice the 928 though!

Alan
thx Alan...........I expect to get moved but I'm hopeful of the Sunday and the time shift shall delay being punted
Old 10-30-2005, 11:49 AM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vilhuer
What year is it? This has large effect on what can go wrong. Check these links for more details:

http://www.red-headed.com/index2.htm...ainbolt.html&3
http://www.red-headed.com
http://www.ferrarichat.com
http://www.ferrarilist.com

Send mail to Edvar and Arvid. They might have some data on TR you're looking or they might know someone who has if you have cars VIN.
Thanks for the links Erkka. I do have the VIN but have left it at work. I'll pass it along tomorrow
Old 10-30-2005, 12:02 PM
atb
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Malcolm,

Sounds like an exciting purchase. Post pics whether you close the deal or not. It would be cool to take a pic park next to your shark to see the distinct difference in design philosophy (and also to keep your post from getting pitched to OT )
Old 10-30-2005, 12:07 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I like the testarossa.....nice cars with 380hp...but they are very expensive to maintain...makes our 928's look like hondas in comparison! The 30K engine out service is around $10K assuming nothing is broken!
Old 10-30-2005, 12:09 PM
Cameron
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 928 will look like a brand new design compared to the rossa. Nice toy if you can afford one!
Old 10-30-2005, 12:45 PM
heinrich
928 Collector
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice, I'd love to have one. The 928 will likely seem a bit less exotic by comparison. I think you will love it, but as mentioned, will cost more generally. Not that I know, and there's one way to find out
Old 10-30-2005, 01:14 PM
tv
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 126 Posts

A buddy has an 85 euro TR in red of course. Nice car and good sound with his aftermarket exhaust. It along with the 360 are my favorite Fcars. Go to ferrarichat.com and they will answer all your questions. Nice bunch. Ferrari service costs in general are astronomical and the engine is part of the frame and has to be unbolted for anything big.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:22 PM
JPTL
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 98 Posts
Talking Topical & 928 related: "928 beats Testarossa in head-to-head comparo"

Malcolm, I have an '89 or '90 issue of Automobile Mag. that has a head-to-head comparison between the Testarossa & the 929GT (ZR-1 as well)... Guess who wins between the Testa. & 928GT? (hint: the one that cost 1/2 as much).
The 928 is even with the Testarossa in 11 categories, loses to the Test. in only 2 categories, and beats out the Testa. in 10 categories! I guess the Testarossa would win in the "Brio" category.
I'd be glad to send you a reprint of this (jpg file). Let me know.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:24 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Early ones (up to mid 88) have center lock wheels and expensive tires. The also (usually) have the "can't see much" door mirrors. The seat belts are subject to a recall, but only for the motorised bit.
Unless it has full service history, with all the invoices, and traceable ownership you are taking a chance.
The timing belt change is a time and mileage deal. Usually a new clutch and all the oil seals, water pump, coolant hoses, injector cleaning and various other stuff is required.
Note that the 512TR has bigger brakes..and there was a reason for that.
Make sure that someone experienced with Ferrari models inspects it first.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:03 PM
Kaz
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ferrari guys tell me that you really want to stay with the 512TR and up. The cars benefit from being driven frequently even though Ferrari weenies do their best to ignore this...and then complain about upkeep. LIke our own 928's the guys who drive their TR's the most seem to complain about any maintenance problems the least from what I can see on ferrari chat.

You are correct, the engine does need to be removed for most major services. Now here's where it gets interesting. The older Testarossas the engine comes down through the bottom and I believe the 512 an up the engine comes out through the top. Something about the engine being in a subframe type thing on the older cars, hence the sloppier handling. Could be vice versa but I think what I just said is correct.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:18 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The TR assmebly does come out the bottom. It is a maint hog. I looked at buying one a while back, but the per mile cost of driving it was actually higher than an airplane! Get something else.

Doc

Quick Reply: 928 vs Testarossa